Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

www.123.ie - 20 euros to get a copy of no claims bonus letter

Options
  • 17-02-2011 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

just emailed my old car insurance company yesterday to get a copy of my old insurance ( having left the country a year ago after insurance had ran out ( unrelated) , back now and they want 20 euros to send me a copy of my no claims letter..... is this even legal?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

this may help.

http://www.dataprotection.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/rights/2d.htm&CatID=17&m=r

Under Section 3 of the Data Protection Acts,

You may be asked to pay a fee, but this cannot exceed €6.35.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gambitbeer1

good man, thanks for that..... the scam artists! ill see what they come up with now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

what about change of address?

they want 40e off me to do that! highway robbery

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

BArra wrote: »

Same charge if you need to change car while the insure car is left in for service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

good man, thanks for that..... the scam artists! ill see what they come up with now

You must make the request in writing.
    follow the instructions on the website i linked.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You would have been issued with a certificate of no claims when your previous policy ran out.

The €20 is an admin fee for issuing duplicates of this.

The €6.35 fee doesn't apply unless you've made a request under the data protection act.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Yeah I went with them for price and found theres loads of hiddens.

The timing belt went 1 week into the insurance, we needed to get a tow int he middle of the night, obviously we ensured this was covered in the insurance as we have terrible luck with cars and it was included. Turned out though they hadnt completed the paperwork and we had to pay in cash to be towed, we were told it would be refunded but 6 mths on still hasnt been. We also had to pay 40 to get insurance changed to another car and if it was over a month later we would have to pay another 40 to have it changed back or something stupid like that. Nightmare to deal with if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Another cheapie I'll be avoiding so - I switched away from the most obvious cheapie of all after a similar experience. THanks for the headsup.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

nava wrote: »
    Same charge if you need to change car while the insure car is left in for service.

No it's not - it's €10. It's €40 if you permanently change the car insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

No it's not - it's €10. It's €40 if you permanently change the car insured.

Pretty sure it was 40 for me when I changed. Maybe it was 10 and then another 40 a month later but there were 2 charges.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

BArra wrote: »

information superhighway robbery

/gets coat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I sent them an email or my NCB and got an email back with it attached as a PDF. Also said in the email that further duplicates would cost €20

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jimmy_presley

Hey folks,

Having a similar issue at the moment.

My insurance is up next week and I want to move elsewhere for cover. I trawled my mails and have no record of receiving my no claims bonus certificate off them this year.........

I sent a mail requesting same.......this is the response i received......

"Please be advised that we have issued your no claims bonus via email on" (dated omitted - late april) "which is included in the renewal offer on page 5.
    You may print or forward this to your next insurer. If you may require a duplicate No claims bonus there is a duplicate documentation fee of €20.00 and can be processed with our customer care team."

Again, i have no record of this as id remeber the renewal offer. I had to log-in to "renewals" to actually see what they wanted to charge me for renewing.

Any thoughts? would the dataprotection route mentioned above apply to this case on the face of it??

Thanks a million

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

They are obliged to send you a hard copy of your NCB 3 weeks in advance of your renewal.

As for the e-mail they were supposed to have sent you, make them prove they actually did that, even if they want to remove the attachment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

oldyouth wrote: »
    They are obliged to send you a hard copy of your NCB 3 weeks in advance of your renewal.

As for the e-mail they were supposed to have sent you, make them prove they actually did that, even if they want to remove the attachment

3 weeks yes but not necessarily hard copy. Companies can also send soft copy

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jimmy_presley

Just as an update,

I gave them about 20mins to reply after I mentioned getting in contact with the IIF and financial regulator to complain........no response.

I then cc'd an email with all the correspondance to the IIF and regulator.....

10minutes later i received the email with my no claims bonus cert attached.

Such rounds for a simple request, and all to try and get €20 out of me.

Wouldnt touch them again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

I was charged €22.50 for changing my address with Zurich via Email :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭Corvo

Same thing everytime. People pay the cheapest premium but want the best service.

They are the RyanAir of insurance. What do you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I don't know if people realise it but 123.ie are owned by RSA:

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/financial-services/shares-in-rsa-plunge-16-over-issues-at-irish-unit-1.1590319

There's a reason they have been throwing out much cheaper prices for the past couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

But that won't affect you or me. The parent group filled the void. What's the issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

No need to dig up an old thread for bumpage

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement