Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to tighten a bolt that twist at back

• 17-02-2011 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Ok, it sounds weird but I'm trying to tighten a bolt I can only get at with a torque wrench. I was twisting for ages to tighten it and getting nowwhere and then I realised there was something also twisting at the other side. Normally you would use another wrench or something to stop the other side twisting but that is not an option as I've no way to get at it. I can only get at one side.

How the hell am I supposed to tighten a bolt that does not want to be tightened!!!!!!!!!!!

Help!

:confused::pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bonzer79

If you can fit a 2nd nut onto it this should enable it to tighten and will also lock the 1st nut in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭thereitisgone

Pics would really help us help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

You could cut a slot in the end of the bolt very carefully with a hacksaw or dremel tool....so you can get a flat-blade screwdriver in. Then just tighten the nut with a spanner while holding the screwdriver tostop the bolt spinning.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭thereitisgone

I think he means he can only get at the side with the bolt on it, ie the nut is hidden, maybe im wrong but thats what i got from the op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 uselessnut

Yeah I can only get to the top of the bolt with a torque wrench. It turns forever and can't get anywhere near the nut to hold it. Driving me crazy.

I'm sure there's something that can be done but I just can't think of it.

If I can get pics I will . Thanks people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,621 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If it is reasonably loose, if you can grab the head of the bolt with something like pliers, pull the bolt towards you so the nut presses against the back surface, then turn slowly while still pulling. Once the nut is tight enough to catch on the back surface you should be able to tighten it. This sometimes works! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You put 3 nuts on the bolt. First you put the nut to be tightened down then you put 2 more on there own locked togeter. This keeps the bolt from moving while you tighten and lock the other nut...

Does this make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

You put 3 nuts on the bolt. First you put the nut to be tightened down then you put 2 more on there own locked togeter. This keeps the bolt from moving while you tighten and lock the other nut...

Does this make sense.

he cant get to the nut tho?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Someone, at some time in the past must have been able to get to the other side to put the nut on in the first place though?

Anyway, the suggestion above to pull the bolt out towards you to try and get some friction between the nut and the surface it's tightening against will often work until there's enough tightness to finish the job properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Had the same problem with two bolts about a year ago. Scratched head again and again and tried everything (including the pliers and pull one) Had a McGyver moment and got a steel bit...thought about it for a while and then drilled through the steel at a downward angle* to where I estimated the nut to be. The bit drilled into the nut just enough, enabling me to stop it turning and tighten the bolt. I walked on air for a while I can tell yah! :)

* important so that you can fully tighten the bolt. The bit gets in the way otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 uselessnut

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Had the same problem with two bolts about a year ago. Scratched head again and again and tried everything (including the pliers and pull one) Had a McGyver moment and got a steel bit...thought about it for a while and then drilled through the steel at a downward angle* to where I estimated the nut to be. The bit drilled into the nut just enough, enabling me to stop it turning and tighten the bolt. I walked on air for a while I can tell yah! :)

* important so that you can fully tighten the bolt. The bit gets in the way otherwise.

You are a legend :D

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

uselessnut wrote: »
    You are a legend :D

Thanks.

did it work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

sounds like it :D

Advertisement