Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hand Washing

Options
  • 17-02-2011 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭

How do you make people get into the habit of washing their hands?

I'm currently studying a health science course and I was discussing hand washing today with others in my class. We had an infection control nurse speak to us last week about the importance of hand washing etc. and we were shown the correct way of washing your hands.

I feel slightly uneasy with the experience of being in a health science education building where I see a lot of people (well, women in my case) leave toilets without washing their hands. (I've also noticed it in the Science building too).

These are people who are training to become health care professionals, yet they can't wash their hands after using to the toilet!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

did your woman give you one of the leaflets with a guide to how to wash your hands? if not print it and laminate a couple and stick them up around the toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Most people in health sciences education will have the talk on hand washing and will know from the talk how important hand washing is in preventing the spread of germs and diseases. If this isn't enough to get them washing their hands then I don't know what is!

Posters in toilets are a good way of promoting good handwashing technique, but these are only effective once the person approaches the sink!

In the National Maternity Hospital there is a sensor by the main lift which shouts 'Stop! Have you washed your hands?' as you walk by it. Its quite intimidating! It gets you using the alcohol gel tho.

You could maybe speak to someone in the building about putting alcohol gel around the place? Especially with so many viruses and flu's around at the minute.

I don't think there is much you can do to get the skanks who don't wash their hands now to start doing so. Its obviously not a habit they were brought up with! Just be happy that you are a clean person and should you ever need attention from a healthcare professional, don't be afraid to ask that they have 'decontaminated' before they touch you!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

did your woman give you one of the leaflets with a guide to how to wash your hands? if not print it and laminate a couple and stick them up around the toilets.

No, the nurse didn't give us any leaflets but she did show us how to wash your hands correctly. It was the reason the topic came up. I was telling the girls I've started doing it the way she showed us so I get into the habit of doing it that way.

Good idea though. The only notice I've seen in the toilets is about saving water and turning the taps off properly. I will try to find the lady's name and email her about it.
    Most people in health sciences education will have the talk on hand washing and will know from the talk how important hand washing is in preventing the spread of germs and diseases. If this isn't enough to get them washing their hands then I don't know what is!

Posters in toilets are a good way of promoting good handwashing technique, but these are only effective once the person approaches the sink!

In the National Maternity Hospital there is a sensor by the main lift which shouts 'Stop! Have you washed your hands?' as you walk by it. Its quite intimidating! It gets you using the alcohol gel tho.

You could maybe speak to someone in the building about putting alcohol gel around the place? Especially with so many viruses and flu's around at the minute.

I don't think there is much you can do to get the skanks who don't wash their hands now to start doing so. Its obviously not a habit they were brought up with! Just be happy that you are a clean person and should you ever need attention from a healthcare professional, don't be afraid to ask that they have 'decontaminated' before they touch you!

There is alcohol gel all around the building due to the Swine Flu drama but I rarely see people use them.

I see meds go into the cafe wearing their white coats which is pretty gross too. There is a sign on the door. (Not singling them out, but its easy to notice them).

It just písses me off. People need to be more aware of the importance of hand washing!! Like, I know some people in my class were like "oh great, a class on hand washing." :rolleyes:

Larianne wrote: »
    I feel slightly uneasy with the experience of being in a health science education building where I see a lot of people (well, women in my case) leave toilets without washing their hands. (I've also noticed it in the Science building too).

These are people who are training to become health care professionals, yet they can't wash their hands after using to the toilet!

Oh god, I had no idea that people older than 10 still didn't wash their hands after using the bathroom. Hate to sound sexist but especially women. Definitely get onto your tutor or someone about this.

just accost them at the doorway of the toilets and call them dirty bitches

• Advertisement

Oh god, I had no idea that people older than 10 still didn't wash their hands after using the bathroom. Hate to sound sexist but especially women. Definitely get onto your tutor or someone about this.

Well I've never seen anyone in my class do it, I've just seen it happen in both the Health Science building and the Science building in college. I shall have a search as to who I would contact about it.
    just accost them at the doorway of the toilets and call them dirty bitches

Hmm. I don't particularly like confrontations! Besides they could wipe their dirty hands all over me. :eek:

Makes you wonder, when do they actually wash their hands?!?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

See the same thing all the time. Then I start thinking about how when I use the door handle to get out of the room, I'm basically rubbing my hands against their germ-ridden appendages and... well it doesn't bear thinking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

AndrewJD wrote: »
    See the same thing all the time. Then I start thinking about how when I use the door handle to get out of the room, I'm basically rubbing my hands against their germ-ridden appendages and... well it doesn't bear thinking about.
    Good point Andrew, good point. Worse in the lads toilet, when they come out of the stalls...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

Larianne wrote: »
    How do you make people get into the habit of washing their hands?

I'm currently studying a health science course and I was discussing hand washing today with others in my class. We had an infection control nurse speak to us last week about the importance of hand washing etc. and we were shown the correct way of washing your hands.

I dont tend to piss on my hands when I use the toilet so I'm not sure why hand washing is an utter must for when I use the toilet. If I do piss on my hands (a little bit can leak) then I will wash my hands. If I do wash my hands, the second I touch the door then they are dirty again.

When I am about to assess and treat a patient, I will wash my hands before and after the session. However, when I shake the patients hand, my hands will once again become dirty.

I regularly wash and alcohol my hands about 15 times daily. Using the toilet is one of a million ways I can pick up germs. My point is that it depends on the patient and treatment technique employed as to how rigorous you are.

If I am walking with someone or shaking their hand would you expect me to wash my hands straight after. Yet, if I did that in the canteen with my peers or hold my wifes hand would I still have to wash my hands. If I was performing a lumbar puncture on the ward should I thoroughly wash my hands. If I was removing a central line shoudl I wash my hands.

As for how to remind people to do it...LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of reminders regularly. Classes, workshops,mailshots, new signs quarterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I'm thinking this that thread is more suited to the General forum tbh. I also think its a great discussion to be having so fair play OP.

OT

I'm half in agreement with karliob tbh. If you think about it.......we hardly whack out the hibiscrub each time we have sex, or, well, have certain sexual relations. Of course cleanliness is important for such matters, but bot to hospital standard.

Hand washing after a Number Two is a pretty obvious one though, for us blokes, its not as much as an issue if its a wee your having.

In terms of patient contact, handwashing before and after is very important. As I've worked specifically in woundcare, I'd often be washing my hands during the consult/procedure etc as well, depending on what what I was doing, e.g. dressing bilateral leg ulcers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Ah yeah but it's not as if we're having sex with a load of immunocompromised patients (maybe I just speak for myself?). I'm sure I'd be fine if I didn't wash my hands or use the alcohol gel as much as I do, but it's not about me, it's about the people at a much higher risk of infection that I could be spreading disease too. It'd be awful to perform a wonderful procedure that saves a patient only to have them die of MRSA or something because of lack of hygiene.

Piste wrote: »
    Ah yeah but it's not as if we're having sex with a load of immunocompromised patients (maybe I just speak for myself?). I'm sure I'd be fine if I didn't wash my hands or use the alcohol gel as much as I do, but it's not about me, it's about the people at a much higher risk of infection that I could be spreading disease too. It'd be awful to perform a wonderful procedure that saves a patient only to have them die of MRSA or something because of lack of hygiene.

Well, thats not really what we're talking about. The original post was about washing hands after going to the jacks and whether it was poor infection control. The last two posters commented that not hand washing after using the toilet (number 1's) was not particularly necessary - if I have a shower that morning, my penis is clean. If I urinate, then I'm holding my penis - I may as well hold my thumb - its not dirty just because its my penis. I commented that I dont tend to piss on my fingers but its been known to happen - I usually wash my hands then.

We went on the discuss the importance of infection control in the hospital setting and commented that the level of vigilance is different because as you correctly say patients in hospital are at greater risk of infection. And, naturally, it would be a shame if our patients died of MRSA. Nowhere was it discussed that anyone was having sex with patients and that we didn't wash our hands or penises before, or indeed, after said sexual intercourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Oh I don't disagree with that at all Piste. As I said above hand washing in relation to patient contact is incredibly important.

The OP was discussing hand washing in the lecture buildg though. I don't see the two as equivalent in lots of cases, thats all.

karlitob wrote: »
    Well, thats not really what we're talking about. The original post was about washing hands after going to the jacks and whether it was poor infection control. The last two posters commented that not hand washing after using the toilet (number 1's) was not particularly necessary - if I have a shower that morning, my penis is clean. If I urinate, then I'm holding my penis - I may as well hold my thumb - its not dirty just because its my penis. I commented that I dont tend to piss on my fingers but its been known to happen - I usually wash my hands then.

We went on the discuss the importance of infection control in the hospital setting and commented that the level of vigilance is different because as you correctly say patients in hospital are at greater risk of infection. And, naturally, it would be a shame if our patients died of MRSA. Nowhere was it discussed that anyone was having sex with patients and that we didn't wash our hands or penises before, or indeed, after said sexual intercourse.

I should be less of a smart arse - apologies

It genuinely amazes me when people try to justify not washing their hands after using the bathroom.

It genuinely amazes me when people try to justify not washing their hands after using the bathroom.

Why?

It amazes me that people think a bathroom and some parts of your anatomy are more dirty than a kitchen table, door handle, bar stool, left arm.

Your mouth is dirtier than your penis. Yet you kiss people with it. Your hands are dirtier than your penis (even after you wash your hands as you touch the fdoor to get out) yet you shake hands with people.

It amazes me that people come into a hospital - sit on beds, dont adhere to not bringing young children in to hospital, don't adhere to hand washing/infection control. I see the same people go out of their way to get alcohol gel on the way out - sure who cares about the way out?

Wash your hands after you've been in the toilet. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭starry nights

karlitob wrote: »
    The last two posters commented that not hand washing after using the toilet (number 1's) was not particularly necessary - if I have a shower that morning, my penis is clean. If I urinate, then I'm holding my penis - I may as well hold my thumb - its not dirty just because its my penis. I commented that I dont tend to piss on my fingers but its been known to happen - I usually wash my hands then.

Ehm, would you agree with girls not washing their hands after urinating then? We don't as you put it, piss on our hands either, providing the toilet paper catches everything afterwards. Yet, it is frowned upon if a girl does not wash her hands after urinating, however if it's a guy then it's not such a big deal. I personally think hand washing regardless if it's a number one or two is important FOR BOTH GENDERS. Besides, it's common decency, I wouldn't go near my boyfriends hands if he didn't wash them!

But i do agree with some of above statements, that after washing your hands it does feel a bit pointless when you've to open a door that people who haven't washed their hands have touched. I think posters in bathrooms would help but this is a national problem, not simply college/hospital's problem. There should be more ads on tv and in the public explaining the dangers of not washing your hands properly.

Interesting thread though, i thought i was the only one freaked out about the lack of hand washing in the science/health science buildings! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

I found a study in american college dorms, there's no correlation between hand-washing and catching illnesses, but other studies in developing countries and places like childcare centres, care homes etc. show a reduction in infections. It doesn't hurt to wash your hands.

The point I was trying to make with this thread was the fact that I see some women in a building where they are being thought about infection control/diseases etc., not bothering with their own personal hygiene and thus has me wondering how do these students act when they are in hospitals as students on placement or as healthcare professionals in regards to infection control.

• Advertisement

Wash your hands after you've been in the toilet. Thanks again.

Only if you wash your hands after....

shaking hands with someone
    opening doors
    you touch the mouse and keyboard (when was the last time it was cleaned)

Using the toilet is not necessarily more unhygienic than the above list and a multitude of other things.

My point is that pushing the message of infection should be done where it is most important.
    - Hospitals!!!!

The jacks of a health sciences building is the same as the jacks in the arts block. It doesnt matter. There aren't young adults dying from infections due to poor hand washing from the toilets only or from poor hand washing in general. Sick people are more susceptible from infection so hand washing is the single most important thing to do in the hospital environment.

Advertisement