Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil, oil filter and break pads change

• 17-02-2011 10:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭

How should this cost for a punto

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,857 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Parts about €80-€100, should take no longer than an hour, probably €150-€200 depending on where you get it done.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

most quil fit type places do a service for 99e now which IIRC includes oil, oil filter, air filter and spark plugs (obviously depends on what car), but a punto should fall into this group, then add the pads and increased labour, you could get this done for 150-160 euro.

fullserviceprices.png

http://www.atlastyres.ie/index.php/Services/servicing.html

pity you missed this - http://www.boardsdeals.ie/deal/30-for-a-99-voucher-against-any-car-service-at-Atlas-Tyres-Autoservice/46/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

Jaysus I'm getting quoted 200+ vat for spark plugs and 300 + vat for brake pads in a BMW garage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Bit of a difference between getting a punto done in an independent garage and a BMW done in a main dealer to be fair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

I only asking because I got it done in the local garage and was 95 but he rounded it off too 90. i just thought it was high. I'v not got breaks in 3 years or so wasn't too sure how much it was.

spark plugs must be at least 3yrs old must buy some and change them.

• Advertisement

Jaysus I'm getting quoted 200+ vat for spark plugs and 300 + vat for brake pads in a BMW garage.

your sparkplugs are most likely long life (platnium/irridium) plugs and are nearly 25-30 each from a factors so it depends on what BMW you have.

i'd never pay BMW to do my brakes/discs tbh unless the car was still under warranty.

what bmw you driving CJ?

cena wrote: »
    I only asking because I got it done in the local garage and was 95 but he rounded it off too 90. i just thought it was high. I'v not got breaks in 3 years or so wasn't too sure how much it was.

spark plugs must be at least 3yrs old must buy some and change them.

that was a good price in fairness.
    why didnt you change the plugs and air filter too?
    pointless not doing it in my honest opinion.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

the air fillter was changed before chritmas. never thought of the spark plugs. well some day and change them my self can't be that hard

gpf101 wrote: »
    Bit of a difference between getting a punto done in an independent garage and a BMW done in a main dealer to be fair!
    kceire wrote: »
    your sparkplugs are most likely long life (platnium/irridium) plugs and are nearly 25-30 each from a factors so it depends on what BMW you have.

i'd never pay BMW to do my brakes/discs tbh unless the car was still under warranty.

what bmw you driving CJ?

Ah yea I know but im sure the labour effort and parts will be similar enough. It's an e90 325i so I need six spark plugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Nice car...

• Advertisement

Ah yea I know but im sure the labour effort and parts will be similar enough. It's an e90 325i so I need six spark plugs.

nice car, any pics?
    your car takes 6 LL plugs at a cost of about 25 eash wich is 150e and thats if you buy in a factors, so a bit of labour cost on top of that and you would see 200 very easily.

what year is your E90?

nice car, any pics?
    your car takes 6 LL plugs at a cost of about 25 eash wich is 150e and thats if you buy in a factors, so a bit of labour cost on top of that and you would see 200 very easily.

what year is your E90?

Yea it's not so bad so. In fairness I haven't been ripped off before. Car is 5 years old so they charge a bit cheaper than newer cars. Sorry no pics as I'm on phone at the mo. It's lovely though! Black, terra dakota leather, extended lights etc. I really love driving it. Sorry for OT..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

when they say check wheel allignment and watnot does that mean if its outa sorts will they fix at no extra cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

mrDerek wrote: »
    when they say check wheel allignment and watnot does that mean if its outa sorts will they fix at no extra cost?

No it means given the chance to "check" they will find some small deg of error. Scare you into believing that the wheel misalingment that they have measured needs to be fixed right now and you should not drive the car.

Thereby costing you €xx and not free at all.

If however your car is pulling to one side or the other or your tyres are wearing unevenly get it checked if nothing else you are ruining tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Antiquo wrote: »
    No it means given the chance to "check" they will find some small deg of error. Scare you into believing that the wheel misalingment that they have measured needs to be fixed right now and you should not drive the car.

Thereby costing you €xx and not free at all.

If however your car is pulling to one side or the other or your tyres are wearing unevenly get it checked if nothing else you are ruining tyres.

The wheel alignment check is carried out in the same way as checking the brakes, suspension etc. The customer is shown the screen/printout and as always has the choice to have the alignment carried out or not.
    Is it a selling opportunity? of course it is, but that doesn't change the fact that its a very, very rare occurrence for any car, put on any alignment machine to read 100% perfect. If its off, its off. We can't lie or exaggerate what the customer can see for themselves.

@OP, €90 is very cheap for an oil and filter change and brake pads but there is no escaping the fact that they will have been the cheapest of the cheap parts and oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Tefral

Well your not going to get main stealer parts but at a motor factors this is what you'll pay if you were to undertake this yourself:

Castrol Magnatec: €26
    Oil Filter: €5.50
    Brake pads: Ferrodo or similar €25 (front only)

Labour:
    - No Mechanic would look at the front brakes without looking at the back also. Your looking at 2 hours labour there and another hour for the service.

When was the last time the brake fluid was changed because that would also be worth considering also.

An indy garage would charge €150 min anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Tefral

what bmw you driving CJ?

To be fair, a garage aside my NGK PFR7G-11 plugs for my Teg are quoted €70 but I can get them from Autozone for €40.

Its worth shopping around. Plugs take about 20mins tops to change including taking off engine covers and replacing.

cronin_j wrote: »
    To be fair, a garage aside my NGK PFR7G-11 plugs for my Teg are quoted €70 but I can get them from Autozone for €40.

Its worth shopping around. Plugs take about 20mins tops to change including taking off engine covers and replacing.

I know you can get cheaper as I've done it before online etc but the long life servicing on the E90 or any other modern car tbh means that you should use the recommended sparkplugs as the manufacturer says, as there's no point resetting the sparkplug indicator on the OBC and it resetting to 40k bug you in actual fact used a cheaper version of plug that shouldn't last that long.

Although with all that mentioned, if you cam get OEM plugs and fit them yourself your laughing. I recently got a set of LL plugs from BMW main dealer for an E90318 for around 70e and threw them in my self, I could of got hem a little cheaper online or similar but doing it this way I got an official BMW receipt with car details and mileage verification and the transaction is entered on the BMW system to back up mileage etc for resale time.

Advertisement