Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Montevetro Building now the Tallest in Dublin?

Options
  • 17-02-2011 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

Just heard that Google has bought the Montevetro Building in Dublin, never heard of it, Until it was on the news tonight. It looks taller then liberty hall.

The most amazing is its Only around 2 meters higher then liberty hall

Montevetro building
    Ft:

Liberty Hall
    Ft:

Is it the tallest now in dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

there's plans to knock liberty hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

ted1 wrote: »
    Really,thank Christ for that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Cherish the day!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

On the RTE News last night, they referenced it as the tallest commercial building in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 hXci

I'd personally hate to see Liberty Hall knocked; its an integral part of the Dublin skyline. I don't know about the Montevetro being the tallest building in Dublin OP but anything I've read on the purchase of the building refers to it as the "tallest commercial building" in Dublin, rather than just tallest building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Tabnabs wrote: »
    On the RTE News last night, they referenced it as the tallest commercial building in Ireland.

thats because the tallest building in ireland is The Elysian at a height of 71meters(233 ft) to the top floor.. A decorative pinnacle gives The Elysian's tower an overall height of 81 metres.
    it has apartments and commercial units..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

hXci wrote: »
    I'd personally hate to see Liberty Hall knocked; its an integral part of the Dublin skyline.

An eyesore is an eyesore. Would you say the same for the dart bridge that blocks the view of the Custom House ?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

I was told that 2 years ago when I did a tour of the place. But knocking it requires having the cash to rebuild on it and as you know Ireland is a different place now than 2 years ago so I wouldn't be suprised if it's still in place 10 years from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Id love to see liberty hall knocked down (prefrebly with the siptu idiots inside). They were jumping on the property bandwagon at the time with talks of knocking it down and redeveloping the whole site with a similar size building. Monte Vetro is somthing like 15 stories high and 200,000 sq ft of floor space. Sooner they finish it the better the traffic on barrow st is horrific because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I'd personally hate to see Liberty Hall knocked; its an integral part of the Dublin skyline.
    That's a bit like saying someone with a disfiguring tumour on their face should forgo corrective surgery as it's part of who they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 hXci

ThisRegard wrote: »
    An eyesore is an eyesore. Would you say the same for the dart bridge that blocks the view of the Custom House ?

The Loop Line Bridge has been there for 120 years, while I wouldn't be a fan of the advertising sprawled across the side of it, yes it is part of Dublin's skyline. Also, on a practical side, it is one of the most important bridges in the city, connecting the rail network, northside and southside, so what would we do without it?

To quote Joyce on the bridge-

"A skiff, a crumpled throwaway, Elijah is coming, rode lightly down the Liffey, under Loopline bridge, shooting the rapids where water chafed around the bridgepiers, sailing eastward past hulls and anchorchains, between the Customhouse old dock and George’s quay."

If you want to talk about buildings that should be destroyed? Hawkin's House.

Sorry for dragging the thread off topic mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Liberty Hall may be bad, but it's Hawkins House, just across the river, that needs to go first.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Not any more it looks like

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0218/breaking59.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Jimmy the Wheel

ThisRegard wrote: »

I quite like it.

There's a touch of New York about it, juxtaposed with those columns at the Beresford Place end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Are Google keeping the building they are in now at the Gas Works?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

From what they were saying the other day it sounds like they are going to keep where they are aswell. They have 2 buildings at the moment on the gasworks site. Apparently the new building has its own entrance into the dart station aswell. Woulsnt be a bad place to work in that new building if your up the top and at the back looking over the canal and city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

tricky D wrote: »
    Liberty Hall may be bad, but it's Hawkins House, just across the river, that needs to go first.
    Same architect?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Liberty Hall planning application has been withdrawn by SIPTU.

They say they are to amend the details and reapply within 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,962 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

according to Wikipedia the Millenium appartment building (not far from Montevetro) is also taller than Liberty Hall but there's not much in it between the 3 buildings.

The same developers have (had?) plans for a building called "Aqua Vetro" on the site of Bolands mills which would be substantially taller again, not sure if they have permission yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭BowWow

I wouldn't be a fan of the advertising sprawled across the side of it

Wasn't all the advertising removed some years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

neris wrote: »
    From what they were saying the other day it sounds like they are going to keep where they are aswell. They have 2 buildings at the moment on the gasworks site. Apparently the new building has its own entrance into the dart station aswell. Woulsnt be a bad place to work in that new building if your up the top and at the back looking over the canal and city

They have the Pfizer building around the corner (Next to accenture) and another one in east point. So we can look forward to some BIG job announcements from them then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

If we're going to go knocking sh*t, you can take bus aras while you're at it..

NCC_Busaras_web.jpg

Advertisement