Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you make notes when you read?

Options
  • 17-02-2011 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

In the margins, a notebook, scraps of paper?

Only when you read non-fiction? Only when you read fiction?

I make notes... 14 votes

a lot
    0% 0 votes
    sometimes
    14% 2 votes
    rarely
    42% 6 votes
    never
    42% 6 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Personally I would never take notes if I was reading a book for pleasure. But, if I had to write an essay on it or have an examination on several books I would take notes, sometimes within the book, or maybe in a notebook for the purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I've only ever done that for school. I never do it anymore!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I do (with the obvious exception of library books). It is a form of arguing with the author and it helps me absorb what she is trying to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Yes. Depending on the book I vary between "no notes", "some notes" and "hell, there are more scribbles here than typed words." Politcal books are conductive to the last two categories; fiction to the first two.

I think it's nice to pick up a book one has annotated and flick through and find some of the interpretations or underlined quotes. I also find that the process of writing notes makes one engage with the book more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Its probably best practise when reading a complicated piece of literature (e.g. Joyce or Proust) or when working your way through confusing philosophy or politics (e.g. Kant or Marx) but when reading for pleasure I never take notes. Not that I read Joyce, Proust, Kant or Marx for pleasure. Yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 johnlinkson

Yes, i ways try to note every thing what i am reading. Because it is one way to memorize. If you write after reading then it is good way for student to memorize.

Advertisement