Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Election News

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I am very sorry but your second post makes even less sense than you first:
    I have my reasons and they have nothing to do with John Boland !

:confused:

Anyhow, back the subject at hand: John Boland and Co and the immoral exploitation of dogs and Ireland being the Puppy Mill capital of Europe.

BTW, since we are speaking of Europe, I have posted this on a lot of international boards and people are appalled that the guy is even allowed to run, seeing all the negative press he got internationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

So when a suckler cow is separated from a calf and the both cry and bawl for a couple days or more, this is not cruel? Come on, of cousre its cruel. But its farming so it makes it fine! I met him once(fact) ! None of ye know him yet comment on his personality! I live 5 miles from him and the general feeling of John Boland in the area is positive! And if his place is as bad as it is made out to be surely the powers that be could close him down! Only conclusion I can come to is that it's not near as bad as ye folks make out! None of ye know me either so don't make assumptions on why I posted here! I have my reasons and they have nothing to do with John Boland ! This forum is like an on line pub! Plenty of people giving out about others with no foundations to what they say! Regards folks!

Puppy farming is not illegal so no they cannot close him down once his dogs have food, water and shelter. It doesn't matter that they will probably never see daylight, be taken for a walk or get a scratch on the head and some individual attention. Do you think it's ok for a dog to be bred from on every heat, be locked up in the same cage for it's whole life and never know what it's like to be loved? Do you think that it's ok to have between 700 and 1200 breeding bitches (this probably doesn't include pups present at the time so you could probably double that number to get a real figure for just how many dogs are there).
    I may not personally know john boland himself but I know his type, money hungry who see animals as walking euro signs.

Farming is another debate altogether but you will find most here are against intensive farming such as battery chickens (which can be likened to puppy farming in a way) and piggeries just as much as they are against puppy farming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Just so people know I know people that will have the chance to vote for him and I'm going to send one an email and she'll more than likely pass it to the others.

But I'm just wondering does anyone have a good link explaining what a puppy farm is, one with pictures would be best.

She proabably wouldn't be voting for him anyway she's a Fianna Fail follower and I don't think anything will take them off the pedistol they're on:o

Orla K wrote: »
    Just so people know I know people that will have the chance to vote for him and I'm going to send one an email and she'll more than likely pass it to the others.

But I'm just wondering does anyone have a good link explaining what a puppy farm is, one with pictures would be best.

She proabably wouldn't be voting for him anyway she's a Fianna Fail follower and I don't think anything will take them off the pedistol they're on:o

http://www.puppylovecampaigns.org/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

There was a program on either TV3 or RTE recently that show inspectors going into a puppy farm, anyone know the name?
    Both channels have iplayers so you can watch old programs.

• Advertisement

mymo wrote: »
    There was a program on either TV3 or RTE recently that show inspectors going into a puppy farm, anyone know the name?

I know it was tv3 'animal a&e'? maybe but I don't know if she would know how to start that or what her connection speed is, it might just end up stopping every second. pics are probably best.

mymo wrote: »

I think it was Animal A & E on Tv3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

you meant Animal A & E ?

See the link > http://www.tv3.ie/shows.php?request=animalae

have a look at the video links....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Yes, Animal A&E, thats it thanks, I do remember my daughter(13yrs) watching and crying about it. She was horrified by the way the dogs were kept, and was even more upset that puppy farming is perfectly legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

I dont know how law system works but what we must do to make this illegal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Zapperzy wrote: »
    most here are against intensive farming such as battery chickens (which can be likened to puppy farming in a way)

I was just about to compare puppy farming to battery chickens, you got there before me. Something tells me John Owen won't actually respond to any valid points or queries, though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Owen curran

Luckily we live in Ireland where your occupation,once legal,doesn't determine whether or not you can run for election.the only one here who half gets what im trying to point out is Zapperzy!so most here are against intensive farming Zapperzy? surely at some stage in our states history a farmer has been elected to the dail? i think one former Taoiseach was a farmer! @ Honey-ec. how fu(king dare you call me john! my name is owen curran! im proud to be a curran! im not a boland. im not related to the bolands in any way! Unlike you im not hiding behind a user name to air my views! i have a dog(sammy) who i love dearly,i got him in a rescue centre.the only cost to me was getting him chipped and sterlised!if puppy farms were depending on me for business theyd be very poor! I'm not pro puppy farming,or against it really once dogs are mucked out,watered and fed! when i got sammy i bought all the gear to make his life as happy and comfortable as possible! including a pet containment system! Do you know how many dog owners dont keep their dogs under control in the countryside! leaving them free to roam about!and then claim to be animal lovers! My next door neighbour is a sheep farmer and the amount of times his sheep are "bothered" by dogs is just not fair! and anyone here who thinks im john boland asuming a name? Sad! I often hear people slate other people with no foundation and it bothers me! You should say as you find,not say as you hear! Regards folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Do you know how many dog owners dont keep their dogs under control in the countryside! leaving them free to roam about!and then claim to be animal lovers! My next door neighbour is a sheep farmer and the amount of times his sheep are "bothered" by dogs is just not fair!
    What relevance has that to Bolan's puppy farm???confused0007.gif

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Luckily we live in Ireland where your occupation,once legal,doesn't determine whether or not you can run for election.the only one here who half gets what im trying to point out is Zapperzy!so most here are against intensive farming Zapperzy? surely at some stage in our states history a farmer has been elected to the dail? i think one former Taoiseach was a farmer! @ Honey-ec. how fu(king dare you call me john! my name is owen curran! im proud to be a curran! im not a boland. im not related to the bolands in any way! Unlike you im not hiding behind a user name to air my views! i have a dog(sammy) who i love dearly,i got him in a rescue centre.the only cost to me was getting him chipped and sterlised!if puppy farms were depending on me for business theyd be very poor! I'm not pro puppy farming,or against it really once dogs are mucked out,watered and fed! when i got sammy i bought all the gear to make his life as happy and comfortable as possible! including a pet containment system! Do you know how many dog owners dont keep their dogs under control in the countryside! leaving them free to roam about!and then claim to be animal lovers! My next door neighbour is a sheep farmer and the amount of times his sheep are "bothered" by dogs is just not fair! and anyone here who thinks im john boland asuming a name? Sad! I often hear people slate other people with no foundation and it bothers me! You should say as you find,not say as you hear! Regards folks

I'm sorry, but if you have a rescue dog, then surely you can understand why people are so against Boland. I assume you have read this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1050747/How-tiny-handbag-dogs-bred-conditions-horrific-cruelty.html
    Also the point is that this occupation of Boland's shouldn't in any way be legal!!

And yes, most of us here are very strongly against intensive farming. No animal should be intensively farmed the way battery hens and puppies are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

A rescue centre rehomed a dog to you unchipped and unneutered? What about vaccinations?

You seem to have a healthy scepticism about most of the posters on here, so look at your own situation. You, who have no link whatsoever to John Boland just happen to come across a thread on a forum that has thousands of threads on it every day. A forum that you are not a registered user of, which would suggest that you don't come on here very often. Yet, you find this thread among the thousands of others, and you, who have no link whatsoever to John Boland, feel so incensed by what has been posted that you join the forum and post on the thread. The only thread on this forum that you have ever posted on. Now if you weren't Owen Curran (which obviously you are), what would you make of someone called Owen Curran doing that?

You also make assumptions, how do you know that no one else here has met John Boland? You have said that a couple of times. Do you honestly know everybody that he has ever met? Oh but of course you don't, as you have no link whatsoever to him.

ISDW wrote: »
    how do you know that no one else here has met John Boland? You have said that a couple of times. Do you honestly know everybody that he has ever met?

But sure we're all hiding behind our usernames anyway :rolleyes:

Sorry, John Owen, but as ISDW has pointed out, you joined Boards specifically to post on this thread, to try and defend the indefensible. The fact that people are suspicious really shouldn't come as a surprise to you.

And we only have your word that you're posting under your real name. I could re-register tomorrow as Jane Dunne, but no-one here would have the foggiest whether or not it was my actual name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The RTE Ear to the Ground program on Puppy Farming is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akKoolN44ZE&feature=email

I would love Boland to get elected because he wouldn't be able to hide any more. Every day he would face criticism. It doesn't surprise me that he has local support.

http://www.pedigreedogs.ie/blog/2010/05/01/cowen-took-up-case-of-disgraced-puppy-farm/

Discodog wrote: »

This is a country where politicians make representations on behalf of convicted rapists. I really hate this place sometimes.

• Advertisement

I have to ask why are you getting so wound up over this, you only met the guy once either through him canvessing or maybe you did some work (driving/digging? I don't know) can't remember if you said it or not. I just can't seem to understand why you would care so much. It's a bunch of people (not even a huge number) that don't like the way this guy treats dogs on his farm, I think other people don't understand it which is why you got called John too.

Alot of people on this part of the forum have seen the kind of dogs which come from puppy farms and their problems so they have a strong reason not to like it and with the amount of dogs this guy has there's no doubt he's a puppy farmer.

Also you can't really compare sheep/cattle/cows/calfs to farming dogs because the others get alot of vet care (after all you can't sell a sick bullock) they need to be healthy and I'd don't think they would get near as much care, and most good vet would end up calling the ispca on them if they had a look of the farm.

I'm not getting wound up! Quite the opposite! I think this is typical Ireland! Give out till the cows come home but do feck all about it! How I found this forum you asked! I seen bolands election poster Thingy hanging on a lamp post in Ballymore. So I goggled his name and found this! And I'm presuming if ye had met him ye would have stated this fact! And not once have I said I agree with puppy farming!not once I repeat, yet I get skated for playing devils advocate. I just don't agree with attacking a persons character on the basis of stuff ye heard not seen! Is that SO hard to understand!

@isdw read my post! The dog was sterlised, chipped and I didn't mention vacc'd because I thought you'd have the cop on to know of cousre the dog was vacc'd! But after the guy came out to do a house inspection to make sure my house was suitable I then parted with cash! To pay for the vacc chip and so on! Oh I also fed the dog a couple of times since I got him!

I can only say one thing really, seeing as you've clearly ignored every other post and decided to not bother answering my questions as you seem to have decided that the people here are merely on attack mode. Work with animals that have come off puppy farms and you will understand why we are up in arms about this. Just honestly tell me if you really you believe that a small family like that can look after between 700-1200 dogs properly? I personally know quite a few people in the ISPCA who had literally broken down and cried in these establishments because they are so horrific, and John Boland is top of their list to close down. How can we even begin to try and understand the morals of a man who is keeping animals in these conditions?

Congrats, you rescued a dog, a very rewarding experience indeed and something that a lot more Irish people should be doing. But a lot of people here work with rescue animals day in, day out and i can tell you, an awful lot of those dogs come from puppy farms in absolutely horrible condition. Quite a few have to be PTS because nothing can be done for them.
    Its like Fine Gael overturning the stag hunting ban and Labour banning restricted breeds. Our lives are about our animals, and that is why we get rightly peed off about things like this. Funny that you never jumped in complaining that people are 'attacking' Enda Kenny over the Stag Hunting ban?

To be honest, I really dont understand why you brought your dog into this? That, quite frankly, had nothing to do with this topic and it looks like you just threw it in there to distract from any questions others may have put to you.

I would also love to know just what exactly you googled to find this page as any mention of Boland is pretty far down. So you skipped over all of the articles about his puppy farming to come on here and give out about the people who abhor this practice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I just don't agree with attacking a persons character on the basis of stuff ye heard not seen! Is that SO hard to understand!

Sorry but numerous sources of this information has been posted on this thread. I don't see any that contradict the information given. Mr. Boland has never denied the fact that he is a puppy farmer so can you please explain what the basis of your arguement is. His character is paramount to the job (as an elected member of the Dail) that he intends to do. Anyone who runs for public office is going to be in the public eye and every aspect of their life will be fully investigated by the media, that is a fact. He is not above any other candidate nor should he be. As taxpayers in this country we are all entitled to our opinion on those who plan to run our country. This is why your condemnation of the public judging him on his character is so amazing, and there seems to be no explanation other that the fact that you have more involvment with him than you say. Are you defending every single candidate in the country in this way? . . . . No, I didn't think so, and yes they are all having their dirty laundry aired in public.

I goggled "John Boland election" I just found this public flogging of a mans character a bit wrong! And what the feck has enda kenny got to do with this? None of ye not one of ye have said ye met the man! If ye had ye would say. Anyway enjoy yer debate! I don't have the time in contuining. Ye have started the assumption s about me now! And I know none of ye met me or know anything about me! It's pointless trying to point out the fact to ye that Boland is not seen as a jack the ripper type character in his local area! Anyone here still think I'm actually Boland? Get the admin staff of the site to e mail me and I'd gladly prove you wrong! By what evermeans you see fit! Regards and goodbye folks! Take care!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

It's pointless trying to point out the fact to ye that Boland is not seen as a jack the ripper type character in his local area!

I'm sure they don't because he isn't sh**ing on his own doorstep, he's exporting his 'wares' abroad through a middle man so he can't be traced and people can't see where they have came from, just like the scum-bag in the same money-racket that is local to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Owen, I've never met John Boland or been on his property to see the conditions of the puppy farm that the dogs are kept in. I've never been in a concentration camp either but I know what went on in them.

Alot of people on here have either rescued dogs or work in rescues. The rescues in this country are flooded with dogs that have come from puppy farms.

You said your not defending puppy farms fair enough, but why are you defending someone who runs one when you yourself have rescued a dog?

Of course John Bolands character is up for attack, any one in their right mind who knows anything about puppy farms would be disgusted by what goes on there and could have nothing but contempt for the man.

By your logic I shouldnt attack/judge Heinrich Himmlers character for his involvement in setting up concentration camps just because I never met him or was never inside a camp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

@isdw read my post! The dog was sterlised, chipped and I didn't mention vacc'd because I thought you'd have the cop on to know of cousre the dog was vacc'd! But after the guy came out to do a house inspection to make sure my house was suitable I then parted with cash! To pay for the vacc chip and so on! Oh I also fed the dog a couple of times since I got him!

You said you had to pay for the dog to be chipped and sterilised, not that the rescue had done it. So you didn't have to pay for the vaccinations? Wow.

You're so fond of googling, google my user name, it stands for Irish Sled Dog Welfare, I run a rescue - by myself - for siberian huskies, alaskan malamutes and crosses of the breed. At one point last year I had 31 dogs here (including my own), I have a kennel block and they also live in my home. I could not cope with lookin after those dogs properly by myself, the cleaning, feeding, exercising, it is not possible to do that for so many dogs on my own. Yes, I could look after them, so that their very basic needs got met, they had food, water and shelter, but I think that dogs need more than that. So now I am learning to say no unfortunately to taking in dogs that need help. But, if I can't look after 31 dogs the way they should be looked after, how on earth do Mr Boland and his family manage to look after the 1000 plus dogs that are on his property? He would need to employ over 300 people on a daily basis. I'm sure that if he did, we would all know about it.

Again though you're making assumptions. A lot of people on here are involved in rescue work, so you don't know that the man that did your home visit isn't on here posting. You are accusing people of hiding behind their user names, so again, how do you know that you have never met any of the posters, if you don't know their names?:confused:

Advertisement