Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pure gone!

• 17-02-2011 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭

Heard a few days ago that Pure, on Michael Street, has shut its doors for good. This is such a pity because this was just a great shop with great stuff in there. Only place around to get Addidas classics and Nike SB, which are very hard to get supplied into shops, Addidas and Nike SB evaluate shops case by case basis. The 2 lads who ran it were sound out aswell, such a shame to see them gone now.

But this is just one case of many around the town and I have to ask, What are the city council thinking?!

The centre of Waterford city is almost dead, I have been working in the city centre for about 10 years now, so I see it first hand. Business is down all over the town, mostly because of hard times and the money isnt around.

But the main reason I hear of people about why they dont come to town is because of parking, which I completely agree. Just think, when was the last time you went to town for the afternoon and thought the parking was really well priced and there was plenty of it.

Firstly there are not enough spaces in the town, the back of Georges Street, Supermacs etc, seriously needs to be converted to a multistory. I know everyone is going to say the money isnt there to build that but it would completely be worth it.

Secondly, €1.80 a hour for parking on the side of the road! Are the serious, how utterly stupid is it to be charging that, and especially in this econmic climate. For comparison is costs €1.50 to park in the centre of Paris for a hour. Simple as that, the parking costs need to be seriously lowered, at the very most, to €1 per hour

Finally, for the love of god get cars going through John Roberts Square again. This whole pedestrian thing is a load of BS. All that it benefits is people eating McDonalds on the street and teenagers hanging around. Not saying there is anything wrong with that but I dont think 15 year olds keep any citys shops open.

Just wanted to put that out there because its really been pissing me off for a while now. All the council want is to make money for them and they really dont care about the shops in town ( Just ask any shop owner about the rates around town ). Perfect example is the car park at millers marsh, pure and utter selfishness and exploitation

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Yeah spotted it about a week back with the lads, terrible news. I know people who used to come down to Waterford just for Pure.
    Tbh it seems Micheal Street is slowly deteriorating. Thought Ouroborous books was a great alternative to Book Centre when you wanted specific stuff.
    I'd like to see em hurry the feck up and do something with the De La Salle centre. I'm dead sure I walked past there before christmas and saw people taking down boards off the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

This city...pah...this big town is dying a death and I won't hear otherwise tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have heard of a few womens fashion brands (high volume) that have tried to locate in the city center since last July and keep changing their location as the are unsure what part of the town will be the next part to dye a death.

Beside Penny's seems to be the only section of town that may stay some way alive.

Agree about the parking, only for I can walk over town, I would never go. I.80 is alot of money to me, even 90c is alot to consider especially if you want to go over town and have lunch...it all adds up. Of course if I walk over I can't buy much as I have to carry it back (half hour walk).

A few years ago, I used to park in Green st for free and go shopping, those were the days of going to town on a Tuesday at 12 and go home at 4:30 with a few bits from all ends of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Yeah its just pure s**t

And if you run in someplace for 5 minutes its a €40 fine

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Sickened, Nigel and Dermot are 2 of the nicest guys around and managed to run a shop, that catered for some very different tastes for many years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

the two lads are good mates of mine. Had to say i got a shock when i found out. best of luck to them whatever they end up doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

My mam got me a voucher for christmas from pure.. €50! I thought great ill go in a get a new pair of jeans.. went in around the end of december.. nothing there..

"come back in feburary and we'll have loads of stock" they said

They close down... sickened.

Though I know the chaps I should really give one of them a text. Dont fancy losing out on €50 for nothing.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭totallytrees

Real shame to see Pure closing down :( I assume they've been struggling for a while. I used to love it a few years ago when they had all the Paul Frank stuff but I think after they got rid of that, the ladies stuff dried up a bit.. The mens section was much better. Went in there over Christmas and the ladies shelves were practically empty so I assumed something was up, such a pity. It really was the only spot in town for nice streetwear, especially if you're not into River Island & co.

Regarding the parking, €1.80 might seem dear but its a hell of a lot cheaper than trying to park in Dublin.. Dame St. car park is €3.50 for 1 hour.. €7 for 2hrs! I stick to the €5 for the day car parks in Waterford, they seem to be the best value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 FadeStGal

dazftw wrote: »
    My mam got me a voucher for christmas from pure.. €50! I thought great ill go in a get a new pair of jeans.. went in around the end of december.. nothing there..

"come back in feburary and we'll have loads of stock" they said

They close down... sickened.

Though I know the chaps I should really give one of them a text. Dont fancy losing out on €50 for nothing.

I wouldn't text. Time to cut your losses I think.

They are probably already laughing at you after telling you to come back in February.

It's only €50 anyway, you'd look fairly pathetic moaning over that small of an amount.

FSG X

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

the city council are a joke.. have been working in city (town ) centre since mid 90s.. and even though plenty of businesses asked not to be fully pedestrianised, they went ahead anyway at a huge cost...

But wait for the Tall Ships and they will all be out in force with their mugs in the paper.. same for the glass ... they left thousands of waterford ppl get pissed on by the company, they then sold the ''brand'' on and helped them to open a new place in centre of town, without so much of a fight...

they make me sick..
    They want all the buuildings cleaned up now because of tall ships but the last 3-4 years they were ok been left to ruin...

They are in it for themselves and not one of them has any foresight into getting Waterford going again..... How one man can bring down a city is beyiond me, we needed large scale investment into a decent SC and it didnt happen when the boom hit and certainly wont happen now

parking is a joke...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

FadeStGal wrote: »

They are probably already laughing at you after telling you to come back in February.

It's only €50 anyway, you'd look fairly pathetic moaning over that small of an amount.

FSG X

I doubt that anyone is laughing in this situation. The guys in Pure have always been more than helpful, so I've no doubt if they're winding up business they'd be happy to let a voucher holder have their pick of stock, especially if they want to start up again in Waterford when things pick up. There's no harm in dropping by the shop to see, or giving them a ring.
    And €50 is €50, by no means is it pathetic in this day and age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

FSG X

That's a load of nonsense. Like a couple of lads here, I know the guys involved and their family. They won't be laughing at anyone. It may be that they intended on getting new stock in, but business worsened and they couldn't afford it - meaning having to shut up shop. Hopefully they're none the worse for it.

...and WTF is with the pink font? It's bloody annoying and hard to conceal when reading boards at work! :mad:

I doubt that anyone is laughing in this situation. The guys in Pure have always been more than helpful, so I've no doubt if they're winding up business they'd be happy to let a voucher holder have their pick of stock, especially if they want to start up again in Waterford when things pick up. There's no harm in dropping by the shop to see, or giving them a ring.
    And €50 is €50, by no means is it pathetic in this day and age.

They have closed down, keep up :rolleyes:

And I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate some tight a**e complaining about €50 when they've had to shut down their business!

FSG X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

And I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate some tight a**e complaining about €50 when they've had to shut down their business!

FSG X

Your attitude is unbelievable.

Sad to see the business go. And its not just Waterford city that suffering, go to Carlow or Limerick or Cork even. Much worse off then us.

Your attitude is unbelievable.

Sad to see the business go. And its not just Waterford city that suffering, go to Carlow or Limerick or Cork even. Much worse off then us.

:confused:

If your business shut down, leaving you without a job.....

Would you really want people chasing you down for a measly €50?! :eek:

FSG X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Your attitude is unbelievable./QUOTE]

He/She is a troll. Don't feed the troll.

Sad to see another shop close down but I doubt that not being able to squeeze cars up and down barronstrand street is the cause. The general economy is awful and people are still being left go from work in the city, its bound to be reflected in the general economy. The council could do something to help by giving business in the city centre a rebate or reduce their rates for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

FSG X

They may have closed down, but there may be contact details on the window. And I'm sure they'd prefer a regular customer (his mother hardly got him the voucher through a bolt of inspiration) to contact them. Its called generating goodwill, and good business practice.

And seriously, no matter how cool you want to look, magenta text is just going to make everything you type look silly. Including your rolleyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭pocketvenus

Your attitude is unbelievable./QUOTE]

Sad to see another shop close down but I doubt that not being able to squeeze cars up and down barronstrand street is the cause. The general economy is awful and people are still being left go from work in the city, its bound to be reflected in the general economy. The council could do something to help by giving business in the city centre a rebate or reduce their rates for next year.

Exactly rates and rents are way too high and by lower them it would encourage more shops to open or stay open.

It is an awful thing to say but I know a perosn who works high up in a well known retail outlet with a few places in Ireland and asked why they never opened in Waterford as people often hoped they would. She told me basically that it was know that the city residents were known for looking for certain shops and then if they did open they would not be bothered supporting them. I was shocked at this and she said it was true a few business people told her the same thing.

Jeez, the debate on here is great....

Unless you have a different opinion of course! :rolleyes:

Would you really be happy to have people you know harassing you to cash in a voucher??

Remember that your business has just closed down a few days ago.

FSG X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Totally agree with you there. Costs on owners are too high.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Firstly there are not enough spaces in the town, the back of Georges Street, Supermacs etc, seriously needs to be converted to a multistory. I know everyone is going to say the money isnt there to build that but it would completely be worth it.

I think they should make use of underground car parks and put grass on top as a human park. They do it in lots of cities. For example we could excavate the Glen or Ballybricken, and then cover it back over again, so Ballybricken would be green :)

One point you didn't mention was rent. That's where the greed comes in. The city council don't get a commission for the money made from parking. We do need money to host the Tall Ships and attract W Crystal to the city centre.

Also, expect more closures. The bad weather pre-Christmas is really the straw that broke the camels back for a lot of places.

It really was the only spot in town for nice streetwear, especially if you're not into River Island & co.

There was another shop that was good that was beside Pure. Was it called Icon?

Maybe JC Originals should start stocking that sort of stuff. They had some good stuff last summer (in that 'Pure' fashion style). It would be a good niche for them as they have to compete with TK Maxx etc.

dayshah wrote: »
    I think they should make use of underground car parks and put grass on top as a human park. They do it in lots of cities. For example we could excavate the Glen or Ballybricken, and then cover it back over again, so Ballybricken would be green :)

Great idea!

If we all club in a few thousand each we could easily do this :p

FSG X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

dayshah wrote: »

This is effectively what De La Salle school are planning I believe, underground car park with an astro-turf pitch on top.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mod Note
    Troll be gone!

Carry on as normal folks, and excuse the blip in your conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Sully wrote: »
    Troll be gone!
    if you'd typed that in Latin then you'd be Sully Potter :p

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Sully wrote: »
    Mod Note
    Troll be gone!

Carry on as normal folks, and excuse the blip in your conversation.

Thank God for that Sully, I had just started a personal boycott of boards until it was gone/removed - was cracking me up:D.

Hope it's permanent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Who is the troll that is now gone? I must've missed something as FSG is still pinking up my screen...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

gscully wrote: »
    Who is the troll that is now gone? I must've missed something as FSG is still pinking up my screen...

S/he wont be posting again for a while, but you will still see the older posts.

• Advertisement

rayc wrote: »
    This is effectively what De La Salle school are planning I believe, underground car park with an astro-turf pitch on top.

I thought it was a good idea, but I don't think it can get planning. But I'd prefer something more central too.

The advantage of digging up Ballybricken is it won't flood because its high and we'd probably find some more Viking stuff for the museum. You could even do a layers of history thing as you go deeper.
    It would be an expensive project, but I think the benefit in terms of lots of parking, while maintaining the Ballybricken green would be worth it.
    Also maybe dig up the back of Supermacs, put in the car park, and cover it with grass. It would be great to have a grassy area in the city centre, just by the walls.

Advertisement