Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pure gone!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I missed it all. Ignore list fecking rules lol. Now I'm nosy and will have to have a gander.

It's a pity a locally owned/run family type business is closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Im acually really sad to hear this. I always bought shoes in there and they always had great stuff for a decent price. I cant beleive how bad waterford is after getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

awww no way :( loved that shop, shoes were always great, was meaning to go in an get a new pair. Always gave them the business over wacky shoes (they are looking pretty empty the last while aswell)

Sad news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

I Know that they put up the rent on some of the shops in that area in the past year or two. I know of one shop (i'm not exact on the figures) but it went from something like 25,000 a year to 40,000. Do they realise what's going on in the town!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Ive shopped with pure since they were on O'connell street. I'm not moaning. Im sure they'll understand.

I reckon they'll open up somewhere else anyway.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

dayshah wrote: »
    I thought it was a good idea, but I don't think it can get planning. But I'd prefer something more central too.

The advantage of digging up Ballybricken is it won't flood because its high and we'd probably find some more Viking stuff for the museum. You could even do a layers of history thing as you go deeper.
    It would be an expensive project, but I think the benefit in terms of lots of parking, while maintaining the Ballybricken green would be worth it.
    Also maybe dig up the back of Supermacs, put in the car park, and cover it with grass. It would be great to have a grassy area in the city centre, just by the walls.

It would work quite well I expect given the location. You could even leave pedestrian tunnels that lead out onto the Barronstrand St/Micheal St area, as I definitely know plenty of people people who avoid parking up there because of the hill.

Alas it's all pipe-dream stuff really though methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

rayc wrote: »
    It would work quite well I expect given the location. You could even leave pedestrian tunnels that lead out onto the Barronstrand St/Micheal St area, as I definitely know plenty of people people who avoid parking up there because of the hill.

Alas it's all pipe-dream stuff really though methinks.

Waterford was a pipe dream until some Viking carved a boat out of an oaktree!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 smegg26

Hi folks,

As this is my first post.Hello to all the Waterford City members.
    I think that it's terrible that another small independent city retailer has closed its doors in the city.While I don't know the two lads that ran Pure very well, I do know that they ran a good operation with a quality product and service.
    Two of the biggest problems facing the small retailer is upward only rent reviews and very high commerical rates.(I also own a small business and face similar challenges)If something is not done to help retailers on a local level, you will see many more retailers closing their doors for good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Does anyone know if there is any plans to do anything with the shopping centre in Ferrybank? Everytime I drive past there on the way to town I'm wondering is there anything going on with it.

Surely Dunnes/Tesco/Supervalue/Superquinn would be willing to open up in there and maybe a few smaller places like a chemist or a small coffe shop. That is how Citywest started out. The shopping centre in Citywest is only a couple of years old and started out with quite slow business, just a Dunnes Stores, a chemist and a little newsagents. It now has a few places to eat in, a few small clothes shops and does quite good business.

The amount of houses this side of the bridge is huge, do they not think they would get enough business in to justify opening shops in there? It may also help eliminate some of the traffic problems heading into town and there's the added bonus that the centre is already on a public transport route.

Ever since I moved down I've been completely confused about that shopping centre and why it remains empty. It just seems like such a perfect opportunity for a retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

l.

Sad to see another shop close down but I doubt that not being able to squeeze cars up and down barronstrand street is the cause. The general economy is awful and people are still being left go from work in the city, its bound to be reflected in the general economy. The council could do something to help by giving business in the city centre a rebate or reduce their rates for next year.

Go out to tesco ardkeen any day of the week and tell me that people have absolutly no money

Waterford has a complete doughnut effect now, everything on the outside with just a hole in the middle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Go out to tesco ardkeen any day of the week and tell me that people have absolutly no money

Waterford has a complete doughnut effect now, everything on the outside with just a hole in the middle

Read my post. Did I say people have absolutely no money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Does anyone know if there is any plans to do anything with the shopping centre in Ferrybank? Everytime I drive past there on the way to town I'm wondering is there anything going on with it.

kilkenny county council wanted it built so as to steal money and business away from waterford so tbh I don't care what happens to it.

kilkenny county council wanted it built so as to steal money and business away from waterford so tbh I don't care what happens to it.

That's a great attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Surely Dunnes/Tesco/Supervalue/Superquinn would be willing to open up in there and maybe a few smaller places like a chemist or a small coffe shop. That is how Citywest started out. The shopping centre in Citywest is only a couple of years old and started out with quite slow business, just a Dunnes Stores, a chemist and a little newsagents. It now has a few places to eat in, a few small clothes shops and does quite good business.

The amount of houses this side of the bridge is huge, do they not think they would get enough business in to justify opening shops in there? It may also help eliminate some of the traffic problems heading into town and there's the added bonus that the centre is already on a public transport route.

Ever since I moved down I've been completely confused about that shopping centre and why it remains empty. It just seems like such a perfect opportunity for a retailer.

That's true, its amazing what shopping habits you make for yourself. I often go across the bridge, up Carrigpherish and around the ring road to Tesco Ardkeen or down to New Ross rather do my usual rat-run through town. If there was any sort of supermarket across the road of the same caliber as a Wexford Dunnes, I'd much more likely to shop there.

In relation to the shopping center, usually nobody goes in before the anchor.
    I can't see Ferrybank being the next place in Ireland for Dunnes to open.

If the building is owned by NAMA or a Bank, they will not allow the management to rent it lower then market rate as this will devalue the building and make the original loan a bad loan. Usually there is some sort of deal with a slow shopping center such as signup for 3 years get 1st 6 months free etc, but I can't see many local shops being in a position to commit to this.

I'm sure Kilkenny are dying for the place to open.... think of the rates.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    That's true, its amazing what shopping habits you make for yourself. I often go across the bridge, up Carrigpherish and around the ring road to Tesco Ardkeen or down to New Ross rather do my usual rat-run through town. If there was any sort of supermarket across the road of the same caliber as a Wexford Dunnes, I'd much more likely to shop there.

In relation to the shopping center, usually nobody goes in before the anchor.
    I can't see Ferrybank being the next place in Ireland for Dunnes to open.

If the building is owned by NAMA or a Bank, they will not allow the management to rent it lower then market rate as this will devalue the building and make the original loan a bad loan. Usually there is some sort of deal with a slow shopping center such as signup for 3 years get 1st 6 months free etc, but I can't see many local shops being in a position to commit to this.

I'm sure Kilkenny are dying for the place to open.... think of the rates.

I used to shop in Tesco in Ardkeen but had a really bad customer service experience out there so switched to Superquinn and now I'm lucky if I can manage to go shopping in Aldi every fortnight.

Just for the area it's in I would think a Dunnes Stores would be more suitable than a Tesco lets say. Dunnes seem to have bigger homeware and fashion departments in most of their stores (even the smaller ones) and I think would appeal more to the people in the general vicinity.

I'm dying for the place to open, I might get a job! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I trawled every shoe shop in town (apart from expensive ones) like Shaws etc and excluding Pure, to get a pair of wide fitting shoes not that I have big feet, I don't but they looked at me as if I was from another planet. :( Even tried the sports shops.........so had to go to amazon and they delivered free to my door........

now thats shopping as it should be sad but true......

Ferrybank is only zoned for grocery, not clothing or home.

I don't understand how that works. I thought if a shop like Dunnes/Tesco opens it can sell whatever it likes?

no.

waterford planning wont allow 'comparative shopping' out side the city, only exception seems to be next in ardkeen, it got planning permission in the late 90s.

from here: http://business.yourdictionary.com/comparative-shopping
    comparative shopping
    Gathering price and quality information from several sources prior to making a purchase. For example, someone interested in purchasing a new shirt might do comparative shopping by visiting several stores. Comparative shopping results in getting better value at the cost of spending additional time.

no.

waterford planning wont allow 'comparative shopping' out side the city, only exception seems to be next in ardkeen, it got planning permission in the late 90s.

from here: http://business.yourdictionary.com/comparative-shopping
    comparative shopping
    Gathering price and quality information from several sources prior to making a purchase. For example, someone interested in purchasing a new shirt might do comparative shopping by visiting several stores. Comparative shopping results in getting better value at the cost of spending additional time.

Thanks for that.

Jeez that makes me mad. What an awful pity for a town that appears to me to be in such dire straits at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭foghlu

Real shame to hear Pure is gone

Hope the lads relocate or start something else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

With the new motorway, you would think that the city elders would be trying to attact punters from further afield, can't be relying on tall ships to boast the city trade. Bit off topic I know I was up in Kildare this weekend and visited Kildare village outlet, very impressive set up , car park jammed , also that newbridge silver place , also bustling with people. Problem with Waterford city is the select retail mafia only interested in lining their own pockets, and not bothered enough about the town in general. This neatly fits in with the owners of the city centre car parks!! Enough said .

City square have done alot of promotions and events to attract customers into the centre. Can't think of anything any other retailer has done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

what is the point of such a large premises being grocery only - even in the good auld days how would that have worked?

what the area needs is an M&S / Dunnes (including household & textiles etc) - looks like Ferrybank needs to be re-zoned before they will secure an anchor tenant.

You'd think all of that zoning business would've been in order before they put all that money into that shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

used to get my skate supplies and clothes outta there when it was on o'connell street, and did the same thing when it moved up town. Two of the lads were sound out, you could go in there and just have a chat to em for a while if you were bored, they didnt mind ya hangin out

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭The Shark

Pure will be missed.
    I remember when they first opened in a tiny little shop, Small but had some of the nicest clothes skate supply's around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Shame but sadly I was expecting it to happen as it is so hard for independent retailers these days. Last time I was in town I was glad to see it still open alas..... The lads did well to keep open for so long in these tough times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

I can't believe that anybody thinks that putting traffic through John Roberts Square is going to help the city centre.

How could somebody be too lazy to walk from the Quay to Barronstrand St & Michael street???

Advertisement