Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neil Adams

• 18-02-2011 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi all,

I just wanted to let everyone know that Neil Adams is coming to cork next month. 12-13 March.

So far it looks like he'll be doing a Judo session Saturday morning, a ground work session a little after and on Sunday morning he'll be doing a grappling session.

I realise that this clashes with the waterford open, but all are welcome to come down, even if you can only make it on the Sunday. Adams always delivers a top notch class and there's lots to be learned, so I think it'd well worth your attention.

It'll be held in the Sports hall in Críost Rí School in Turners cross in Cork.

So I hope some of you can make it, it'd be well worth the trip. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

J2D2 wrote: »
    So far it looks like he'll be doing a Judo session Saturday morning, a ground work session a little after and on Sunday morning he'll be doing a grappling session.

I don't get ya.. Do you mean a No-Gi class?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭J2D2

I think it'll be a lesson on fighting for grips, that sort of thing. There will be gi's involved alright, I can see why that was confusing now that I've looked at it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Liam_B

went to a Neil Adams workshop before with the Cork Judo Club..Very good value for such a TOP level Player. I'll make the Saturday session for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

just a reminder this is on this weekend is anyone else on here going to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Pingu

I'd say Sunday is No-Gi, I can double check tonight. I know that in one of his earlier instructional DVDs that I have there's both Gi and No-Gi ground work shown.

From when I trained with him before and found I came away from it having learnt alot. Some really nice tweaks and minor changes to what I was doing, made it alot more effective.

• Advertisement

Pingu wrote: »
    I'd say Sunday is No-Gi, I can double check tonight. I know that in one of his earlier instructional DVDs that I have there's both Gi and No-Gi ground work shown.

A lot of people don't realise he does a lot of NoGi and MMA coaching.

From an interview on LombatClinic.com
    No matter where you live/train nowadays you are never far from a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu academy or a gym that holds classes with a BJJ instructor, it seems that with the ever growing popularity of events such as the UFC people seems drawn to train BJJ. Because of this insurgence have you noticed difference in ability of Judo Ne waza compared to pre- BJJ days and are people coming to you specifically wanting to learn Ne waza?

NA: The mix of Ju-Jitsu and Judo and other martial arts, I think, can only boost the levels of MMA and increase the interest of Martial Arts as a whole.

Just look at UFC and its popularity. What I would like to see ensured, however, that this doesn’t turn into the new WWE. Everyone wants to make money, and I’m all for that, however, I would hate for it become farcical and then start damaging the image of martial arts. Let’s take wrestling as the prime example. Olympic wresting had to take just that name, “Olympic”, so as to make it more creditable than the name “Amateur” wrestling gives the sport but so as also not to confuse it with ‘entertainment’ wrestling.

Judo ne-waza is still different to Ju-Jitsu in the sense of the guard and getting past the guard as well as the body positioning setting up for different manoevers. I do teach a lot of MMA courses, with this in mind and try to project the importance of the transition element and balance on the ground. There is still the need to show positive use of balance and direction on the ground, hip work and body positioning. I enjoy teaching these courses as the participants are so keen, humble and really on a whole nice people to work with.

KC: Over the last few years the sport of mixed martial arts has evolved from an online-based phenomenon into a massively publicized sport. No matter where you turn nowadays people are talking about it on the news (both positively and negatively), giving it column inches in the national press and it even has its very own dedicated magazines at newsstands. I understand you have a new business venture ‘Neil Adams Effective Fighting Ltd.’ that involves MMA seminars, events as well as technical Judo analysis? Would you care to share some of what you have planned here?

NA: Neil Adams Effective Fighting is looking to create a realm for Martial Artists to improve their technique and in different ways. Not everyone can make it to seminars, so we have devised a way to personalise the experience by people emailing me their videos clips of techniques or fights they want analysed and I do just that. There are different choices of how people want their reports: written, audio over their video, or a video of me showing them specifically what needs to be sorted.

Also, I hope people have enjoyed the Fighting Films DVDs I have done over the years with my commentary. We are now going to make that available to anyone who wants their special fight with my commentary in World Championship or Olympic fashion. I have mentioned the grading scheme we will also be having with technical days leading up to grading days.

We are also excited about the MMA Boot Camps that will give Martial Artists not only the technical skills that practitioners are looking for but as well, the training methods I used for my Olympic training and more. The first DVD of my coaching series will also be available for download supporting national charities, along with other books, DVDs , belts, clothing and more to purchased on the online shop.

There is a discount membership programme that also gives members excusive monthly Podcast’s of technical tips, e-newsletters and early entries into events. The membership gives a discount on all NAEF products and services. The next Neil Adams Classic will be held in Coventry this Nov and will be called the Neil Adams England Classic. It will be a points tournament once again with a Masters category this time. We are also looking to hold a technical seminar and revalidation day the day after. Future plans are to hold Fight Nights with high level fighters, both Judo and MMA, as well as International training camps and comps in preparation for the Worlds every year as well as for 2012.

Its why I asked the OP about the grappling session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Pingu

I'm more than certain it's no gi, but didnt ask to much about it as I'm doing the Rugby session tomorrow night and the two sessions Sat. Then Sunday we've a guest coach up in Galway so headin to that so couldnt make the Sunday in Cork.

Pingu wrote: »
    I'm more than certain it's no gi, but didnt ask to much about it as I'm doing the Rugby session tomorrow night and the two sessions Sat. Then Sunday we've a guest coach up in Galway so headin to that so couldnt make the Sunday in Cork.

I'm jealous!.

I'm feeling I'm destined not to make a Dan grading.. Missed two last year due to illness, and this one I've had a bug the last two weeks and can't train otherwise I'd have made my way down for Adams.

Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

I'm jealous!.

I'm feeling I'm destined not to make a Dan grading.. Missed two last year due to illness, and this one I've had a bug the last two weeks and can't train otherwise I'd have made my way down for Adams.

Enjoy.

hopefully you'll feel better soon!

just got some feedback from the other half, there is a good crowd there today anyway and he has learned quite alot today already.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭J2D2

On behalf of Cork City Judo Club I'd like to thank everyone who made it, especially those who traveled long distances to be there. It was great to have so many people on the mat. So thanks to you all, I hope you enjoyed Adam's session and I certainly hope it will encourage people to attend any future events with him.

And if anyone is interested there is a no gi class with Adams on tomorrow as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement