Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4 Vs BMW 3 Series VS BMW 3 Series Coupe

Options
  • 18-02-2011 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭

Guys, i think it's time to seek some opinions considering which should I looks for.. I know i know this is probably done to death but never these three together which I'm interested in.

A4 is 09, 19K miles, 2 Litre diesel, Manual, 28K Eur
    BMW 320 is 08, 51K miles, 2 litre diesel, Manual, 23K Eur
    BMW 320 Coupe is 08, 19K miles, 2 litre petrol, Manual, 27K Eur

Don't really like the look of '08 320, but i see that 09 320 saloon look similar to the coupe (Front view wise)

Ideally I'd prefer an auto but find it that they don't upshift very well or quick enough. The above are all manual which is OK with me, I can live by that.

Driving habit week in week out is mainly just to work on the weekdays, which is 5 min to work, 5-10 min to shop to get lunch and back each way, 5 min to get home. Occassionally 5-10 min each way to badminton training. Weekend: will drive 2 hours each way to dub or sometimes 4 hours to wexford each way.

Based on the above:
    1. Which is better? and why?
    2. Is there any benefit to drive diesel based on my driving habit??
    3. Any common niggling problem with any one of these cars?

Appreciate if someone can give some insight/opinion of their experience with it. Good or bad would really help me decide. At this point in time I'm really swaying towards the coupe.

Appreciate it, thanks

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭shogunpower

don't think a modern diesel would suit you as it wouldn't even be fully heated up by the time you land at work and switch it off, which modern diesel don't take kind to.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What spec is the E90 saloon? €23k is very expensive for one. I bought a 318d Edition M Sport manual saloon with 38k miles last November for €22.5k. It has factory fitted Sat Nav, I-Drive with upgraded sound system, integrated BMW bluetooth, I-Pod and USB connection, leather interior and 18" upgraded OEM alloy wheels. Car is immaculate and originally from the UK with 9 months BMW warranty left on it. €23k is very expensive for one now especially if it is a standard Irish ES or SE model.

I'm very happy with mine but if I was buying again I would definately try and seek out an auto, they are think on the ground here but I find the clutch on the manual 3 Series a bit heavy and awkward. Drove a work colleagues too and his was the same. Auto also suits the BMW 2.0 diesel nicely.

Regarding the E92, no argument there, it is definately better looking than the E90 saloon but both look well in M Sport guise, if you don't need the extra doors then an E92 M Sport with the right spec is the way to go.

With regards the A4, cannot really comment on them as I have no ownership experience of one but they are front wheel drive so have different charactoristics to the BMWs. Again Irish ones tend to be sparcly equipped but personally they do nothing for me so I will leave someone else talk in more detail about them.

And regarding the mileage and type of driving you do, short stop/start journeys are not good for modern diesel engines. Diesels are fitted with partical filters that burn soot from the engine at very high temperatures. The car needs to be driven constantly over 1500 rpms for 30 mins or more for this system to be effective. Short journeys will interupt this cycle and eventually result in the filter getting blocked and needing to be replaced. Not cheap either especially on premium branded cars.

In saying that though BMW have had a good few issues with their 4 cylinder petrol engine models since they introduced Efficentcy Dynamics to the range in late 2007 so I would avoid their 4 cylinder petrol engines from late 2007 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

lau1247 wrote: »
    Weekend: will drive 2 hours each way to dub or sometimes 4 hours to wexford each way.

I think the dpf will have plenty of time to purge during the OP's trips to dublin or wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

lau1247 wrote: »

Ideally I'd prefer an auto but find it that they don't upshift very well or quick enough. T

you do realise there is a sport mode and tip-tronic available on the 3 series auto box don't you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Coupe all the way. If you dont need the rear seats that is.

Looks wise and value for money wise it beats the other two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

2cents

I don't like the manual on the diesel 3.

If I could go back I'd get an auto or a bigger petrol.

if you're goin 2 litre diesel make sure and get the ED 177BHP one.

What do ye think of this 330i ?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/330i-SE/201010197208703/advert?channel=CARS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DaveyWaveyLad

Ad in today's Examiner

2010 A4 2.0 TDI 120Bhp
    Choice of colours
    €27950
    www.tommurphycarsales.com

Currently driving E90 320i SE but preferred my previous A4....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭lau1247

Appreciate all the input so far. Definitely worth something to think about.
    bazz26 wrote: »
    What spec is the E90 saloon? €23k is very expensive for one. I bought a 318d Edition M Sport manual saloon with 38k miles last November for €22.5k. It has factory fitted Sat Nav, I-Drive with upgraded sound system, integrated BMW bluetooth, I-Pod and USB connection, leather interior and 18" upgraded OEM alloy wheels. Car is immaculate and originally from the UK with 9 months BMW warranty left on it. €23k is very expensive for one now especially if it is a standard Irish ES or SE model.

I'm very happy with mine but if I was buying again I would definately try and seek out an auto, they are think on the ground here but I find the clutch on the manual 3 Series a bit heavy and awkward. Drove a work colleagues too and his was the same. Auto also suits the BMW 2.0 diesel nicely.

Regarding the E92, no argument there, it is definately better looking than the E90 saloon but both look well in M Sport guise, if you don't need the extra doors then an E92 M Sport with the right spec is the way to go.

With regards the A4, cannot really comment on them as I have no ownership experience of one but they are front wheel drive so have different charactoristics to the BMWs. Again Irish ones tend to be sparcly equipped but personally they do nothing for me so I will leave someone else talk in more detail about them.

And regarding the mileage and type of driving you do, short stop/start journeys are not good for modern diesel engines. Diesels are fitted with partical filters that burn soot from the engine at very high temperatures. The car needs to be driven constantly over 1500 rpms for 30 mins or more for this system to be effective. Short journeys will interupt this cycle and eventually result in the filter getting blocked and needing to be replaced. Not cheap either especially on premium branded cars.

In saying that though BMW have had a good few issues with their 4 cylinder petrol engine models since they introduced Efficentcy Dynamics to the range in late 2007 so I would avoid their 4 cylinder petrol engines from late 2007 onwards.

Not sure of the spec yet, my dad had already went for a test drive.. I'm due to try it this weekend. By the sound of it, the one my dad was looking at seems really expensive. Did you import yours or bought from a dealer here??

definitely don't need the extra door, just me and the missus and probably won't be having kids for another 2-3 years..

voxpop wrote: »
    I think the dpf will have plenty of time to purge during the OP's trips to dublin or wexford

Definitely do either one of those two trips every weekend. So clogging as suggested shouldn't be an issue?

RobAMerc wrote: »
    you do realise there is a sport mode and tip-tronic available on the 3 series auto box don't you ?

Yes, I've driven my dad's 520 and it just doesn't want to go up.. maybe it has improved since 2004 model..

RedorDead wrote: »
    Coupe all the way. If you dont need the rear seats that is.

Looks wise and value for money wise it beats the other two.

Yeah I'm definitely favouring the coupe.. apart from being tad bit on the expensive side.. it just doesn't really drop in value..

pajo1981 wrote: »
    2cents

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/330i-SE/201010197208703/advert?channel=CARS

Duly noted regarding auto box, the 330i seems fantastic, bit expensive to run tax wise and probably petrol also (Not sure of the MPG)..

Tragedy wrote: »

Unfortunately I'm trading in so private is sorta out.. the 07 looks great especially with white but for the similar price, similar tax, similar mileage, better by one year and bigger engine.. the 330i suggested by pajo1981 seemed mighty mighty tempting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

In Auto's, the VAG DSG box is probably the best there is without going for supercars, and the BMW newer auto box is probably the 2nd best. Not quite as quick as the DSG, but exceptionally quick none the less. I'm a bit like you, was put off auto's by the kick-down lag, the jerky changes, that sort of thing, but in these new boxes all that is gone.
    Also, I'm not sure about the DSG, but the BMW has a learning ECU that monitors how you drive. It'll also adjust the response of the gearbox accordingly, so after a while with it your car will respond to how you like it to respond, in terms of kick-down etc. Also, it'll do this according to the key being used, so your wife should have one key, and you the other, that way it'll adapt seperately to both of ye. You'll notice after a while that it'll respond differently if you ever drive it using your wife's key.

Aside from all that, The A4 is comfortable, but not great dynamically, and practically no feel or feedback from the steering or chassis at all. For this reason I'd look at the 3-series only, and further, the E92... cause it looks good!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

Crazy money imo for fairly basic yokes.I had a new 318d as a rental car for a week and it was nothing special at all.

For 20k plus you can get a class machine.

Alfa Romeo Brera 3.2 4X4 COUPE

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201101200807815

Audi TT 2.0 TFSI 6SP

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201043200052039

Volkswagen Scirocco 2.0 TSI DSG 200 Bhp

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201046200286584

Nissan 350Z COUPE 3.5 COUPE 11k

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201106201222274

An A4 diesel come on man:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭lau1247

pajo1981 wrote: »
    2cents

speak of the devil, the 330 is gone :(

Advertisement