If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pioneer 920 vs Onkyo 608

Options
  • 18-02-2011 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Chaps have a home cinema set up with b&w 604 s3 front and centre and some tripe for the rear bought years ago... Thinking of changing the Sony amp I've had for years and wondered what you thought of each of these receivers... Like the idea of Internet connection and iPod connectivity but would either of these suit the set up I have d you think ?? I listen to music as much as movies so I guess that's equally important .... Thanks very much I advance for any help and suggestions

By the way do you Still have the 920 at.£299 still that might help convince a poor tortured soul

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Jxd wrote: »
    Chaps have a home cinema set up with b&w 604 s3 front and centre and some tripe for the rear bought years ago... Thinking of changing the Sony amp I've had for years and wondered what you thought of each of these receivers... Like the idea of Internet connection and iPod connectivity but would either of these suit the set up I have d you think ?? I listen to music as much as movies so I guess that's equally important .... Thanks very much I advance for any help and suggestions

By the way do you Still have the 920 at.£299 still that might help convince a poor tortured soul

Ahhh JXD - Snooze = Lose...

Apologies but the VSX920 has actually gone up to £349.95 but for what you want around that budget it's really the only game in town and I think is a superb piece of kit

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Pioneer-VSX-920/

Especially if you want internet radio and Ipod connectivity and more importantly the Pioneer has a cracking Iphone control app which is plain brilliant and assuming you have a wifi network really give you a great little multi room system at a great price.

(you can probably tell I like the 920 :D)

I could just about squeeze the 920 to £329.95 if you twist very hard!!

Keep me posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭MrTrebus

Personally Id go for the 608 (just upgraded MINE to a 608 )and Im loving it.

Much much prefer the tone/sounds from my setup (2x Mission M1's, JBL 175 Center, Eltax Sub and 2x V old Philips rear speakers !! ) compared to the Pioneer VSX 820 amp I had.

Pays yer money and takes your choices I supposes !

Hope it helps (and doesnt wreck yer head :eek: )

MrT

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

MrTrebus wrote: »
    Personally Id go for the 608 (just upgraded MINE to a 608 )and Im loving it.

Much much prefer the tone/sounds from my setup (2x Mission M1's, JBL 175 Center, Eltax Sub and 2x V old Philips rear speakers !! ) compared to the Pioneer VSX 820 amp I had.

Pays yer money and takes your choices I supposes !

Hope it helps (and doesnt wreck yer head :eek: )

MrT

Yep difficult choice but the 920 has the apple integration and the web radio access. - to be fair the 608 does probably have the edge on audio quality tho'

( we have really got him confused now :-)

Atvb,

John mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Jxd

Thanks gents should have kept to Myself!! Appreciate the help

John here's a thought - the Vsx920 and the following from your current sale
    48. Onkyo CS-5VL – CD Player – Was £349.95 – Boardie Clearance price £149.95
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/...onky-cs5vl-blk

Would you do the two at £450 and if so what extra for delivery.... Pixmania have the pioneer at a fair offer at the mo at about 400 euro incl delivery ( incl a small promo code discount ) so need to be sensible - much better feeling than confused !
    Thanks again
    James

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.