Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holy speeding beemer, Batman!

• 18-02-2011 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

Anyone else see a white BMW today, going like a bat out of hell? I don't think I've ever seen a car go past me so quick, and I may have been the wrong side of legal myself, heading out the Naas dual-carriageway this afternoon.

Was a white BMW (I think), with English or NI reg plates (beginning L1 or LL possibly). Was overtaking a car myself, around where the quarry entrance is after Newlands, nothing in my rear-view mirrors, then a few seconds after I pulled back over, this thing goes past me like I'm going backwards.

Fcuking nuts!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

dont worry, he is more than likely embedded in the back of a micra:D

edit: *** please note im only pointing out how tricky it would be to speed on that piece of road, anytime im heading that way all 3 lanes are full, i am not suggesting the driver may have been killed because he was speeding****

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

bladebrew wrote: »
    dont worry, he is more than likely embedded in the back of a micra:D

or maybe he continued his journey at a high speed with no incident, slowing down later and arriving safe and sound at his destination?

I know which one the RSA would have you believe is more likely, but we'll check the news tomo and see?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

can-of-worms.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I saw them. Managed to spot Gay Byrne in the back seat without his seatbelt fastened too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭c-note

did it feel anything like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IibcmOyXBZ4

bear in mind the guy filming speeds up to about 150km/h so is prob between 120kmph and 130kmph when he is "overtaken"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

c-note wrote: »

bear in mind the guy filming speeds up to about 150km/h so is prob between 120kmph and 130kmph when he is "overtaken"

Wasn't far off it.

The thing that struck me most was how short the time I could hear the other car as it went past was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

or maybe he continued his journey at a high speed with no incident, slowing down later and arriving safe and sound at his destination?

I know which one the RSA would have you believe is more likely, but we'll check the news tomo and see?

i couldnt care less if he was speeding tbh, but going anywhere fast on that bit of road is tricky, its normally busy and people will be in the outside lane for no apparent reason:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Will some one please inform Joe Duffy!!!!! :D

This is what the live line was invented for "high powered saloooooooon seen driving in a fhast manner"

bladebrew wrote: »
    people will be in the outside lane for no apparent reason:)

The reason is they are Irish and haven't a clue how to use a multi lane carriageway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Was it a coupe by any chance?

LOL.....late for work, were we ?? :p:D

...and you're just panicking now ?? :D:D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭v240gltse

hi ,

may have seen the same ( white bmw 6 with 11d plate) going like the proverbial clappers on the n7 last night about 20:30 , so if this was the same beemer as the original poster seen the driver must have been doing loops between newlands and somewhere in kildare .

ironic not a single squad car/van/motor-bike to be seen when there's a genuine twat on the road :mad:

nice machine though

brendan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I was heading home yesterday, clock in the car was showing 200km/h, a BMW M3 Flaked past in the overtaking lane like I was parked.

Got to the next town over the border and the same Beamer was stopped at lights, hot german blond dolly bird listening to pumping choons lighting up a cigarette.

I felt like I was the girl :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

I was heading home yesterday, clock in the car was showing 200km/h, a BMW M3 Flaked past in the overtaking lane like I was parked.

Got to the next town over the border and the same Beamer was stopped at lights, hot german blond dolly bird listening to pumping choons lighting up a cigarette.

Make it a porsche and it sounds like a scene from SuperTroopers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

What's that meow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

v240gltse wrote: »
    hi ,

may have seen the same ( white bmw 6 with 11d plate) going like the proverbial clappers on the n7 last night about 20:30 , so if this was the same beemer as the original poster seen the driver must have been doing loops between newlands and somewhere in kildare .

ironic not a single squad car/van/motor-bike to be seen when there's a genuine twat on the road :mad:

nice machine though

brendan

Could have been the same car, I thought the plate began "LL", or "L1", but it could well have been "11" - it was so quick going past, I didn't time to have a good look. It was going on for 1pm yesterday when I saw it.

As for it being a 6 or a coupe, couldn't be sure, the back of BMWs these days all look the same to me, and that's all I saw of it.

Normally I wouldn't have taken much notice of a fast-going car, I'd often see cars going 20, 30 or 40 kmph more than me on the M4, and at that speed, a car going past is quite pedestrian, but this car was going a serious rate, I was sure someone else here would have noticed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

c-note wrote: »

The top comment on that video:
    "Cool video but the driver sounds like hes pulling himself off"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Testament1 wrote: »
    The top comment on that video:
    "Cool video but the driver sounds like hes pulling himself off"

Heh, he sounds like the Prime Minister in the Dead Kennedys "Kinky Sex Makes the World Go 'Round".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Speaking of which, I was bombing home on Saturday in my beemer(Dublin - Limerick). Anyway, its motorway all the way now, so a lot of the time I was on the road by myself. At one stage, I looked down at the speedo and I was doing 220km/h :o
    Now, I didnt mean to drive at that speed, I just had kind of tuned out to what speed I was doing for a few minutes as can happen during motorway driving.
    If I got busted by the fuzz, what sort of sh*t would I have been in??

BTW, I do understand this was stupid and reckless, before anybody starts sticking the boot in about me being reckless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

2 penalty points and a fixed €80 fine.

Presuming you were indeed on your own on the motorway and you weren't putting anyone else in danger. This has been confirmed by Gardai on this forum before.

unkel wrote: »

Presuming you were indeed on your own on the motorway and you weren't putting anyone else in danger. This has been confirmed by Gardai on this forum before.

Yeah, the motorway was my own at the time. So I wouldnt be getting a straight 3 months in prison that my mates told me I would be getting :o

Yeah, the motorway was my own at the time. So I wouldnt be getting a straight 3 months in prison that my mates told me I would be getting :o

Unless the Garda reckoned it was dangerous driving and it goes to court and you get that imbecile judge Zaidan*. Then you will go to prison alright :rolleyes:

*yes who send a speeder to jail and who let that fella in donegal off with a fine the time he was caught driving dangerously (the time before he killed his 7 friends)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

BTW, I do understand this was stupid and reckless...

Doing 220 on an empty motorway isn't necessarily stupid nor reckless* ...not being aware that you are going that fast however ...that's both.

Sorry 'bout having to stick the boot in :D

*just illegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Oh, God. I have a reeeeeeally bad feeling about this thread....

:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

Was this her?
    christibrinkleyvacationferrari_john_hughes_died_2009.jpg

Do you drive one of these?

imagesCA1OVCO4.jpg

Unless the Garda reckoned it was dangerous driving and it goes to court and you get that imbecile judge Zaidan*. Then you will go to prison alright :rolleyes:

*yes who send a speeder to jail and who let that fella in donegal off with a fine the time he was caught driving dangerously (the time before he killed his 7 friends)

Really, must read up on that case? What exactly was he doing that got him to court originall?

peasant wrote: »
    Doing 220 on an empty motorway isn't necessarily stupid nor reckless* ...not being aware that you are going that fast however ...that's both.

Sorry 'bout having to stick the boot in :D

*just illegal

Yeah, it was both. But but but but......it was the cars fault for going allowing me to go that speed and not make me realise. ;)

I bet there is nobody on here who hasnt gone over the speed limit accidently and not realised what speed they were doing......

Really, must read up on that case? What exactly was he doing that got him to court originall?

Can't remember the details but iirc he was done for dangerous driving. He got a fine instead of a prison sentence / ban because the judge was in a good mood, celebrating his last day in court in Donegal :rolleyes:

What a fukcing muppet :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Can't remember the details but iirc he was done for dangerous driving. He got a fine instead of a prison sentence / ban because the judge was in a good mood, celebrating his last day in court in Donegal :rolleyes:

What a fukcing muppet :rolleyes:

Do you mean the judge or the driver or both, I hope both !

You reckon he has learned his lesson yet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Speaking of which, I was bombing home on Saturday in my beemer(Dublin - Limerick). Anyway, its motorway all the way now, so a lot of the time I was on the road by myself. At one stage, I looked down at the speedo and I was doing 220km/h :o
    Now, I didnt mean to drive at that speed, I just had kind of tuned out to what speed I was doing for a few minutes as can happen during motorway driving.

BTW, I do understand this was stupid and reckless, before anybody starts sticking the boot in about me being reckless.

Sorry but you're wrong on that one unkel, anything over 180km/h and it's an instant 12 points (loss of license), after that, it's whatever else the garda decides to throw at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

polyfusion wrote: »
    Heh, he sounds like the Prime Minister in the Dead Kennedys "Kinky Sex Makes the World Go 'Round".

No it sounds like Mickey Mouse getting a bit carried away with Minnie
    I bet there is nobody on here who hasnt gone over the speed limit accidently and not realised what speed they were doing......
    Sure I have by 5 or 10 mph - not by 100kph:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

anything over 180km/h and it's an instant 12 points (loss of license), after that, it's whatever else the garda decides to throw at you.

Do you have a source for that?

I was done at 172 (he showed me the gun), and got 2 points. €80 fine, but the Garda was quite cross about it, and said I was lucky not to get arrested for dangerous driving.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

This is how I felt whilst driving on the autobahn. I'd be overtaking a lorry and a snazzy bimmer would fly past like I was reversing down the motorway. God forbid you make the mistake of trying to get into the 2nd overtaking lane in a 206, your rvm would be dazzling in approx. 3 seconds!

Sorry but you're wrong on that one unkel, anything over 180km/h and it's an instant 12 points (loss of license), after that, it's whatever else the garda decides to throw at you.

I dont think this is true. Its either 2 points for speeding or a court appearance for dangerous driving which is 6 points and maybe a separate ban. Don't think there is a 12 point offense.

Nope, Gardai have confirmed it here on boards.ie several times. It doesn't matter what speed you do (even 300km/h :D), if it is just speeding and not dangerous driving, you'll just get the 2 points and €80 fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Nope, Gardai have confirmed it here on boards.ie several times. It doesn't matter what speed you do (even 300km/h :D), if it is just speeding and not dangerous driving, you'll just get the 2 points and €80 fine.

Aye, I think its only when you can be charged with Dangerous Driving they can give you a ban.

http://www.anglocelt.ie/news/roundup/articles/2010/10/13/4000739-160kmh-on-icy-road-earns-twoyear-driving-ban/print

Here in Holland their not so forgiving, 50km/h over the speed limit is an automatic 3 month ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

I was stopped doing 187km/h on my own on the motorway from Cork to Dublin.
    The Garda wasn't even cross. In fact, he was a really nice guy and obviously understood the difference between speeding (in safe way) and dangerous driving.

I ended up not even getting any penalty points, but that was kind of a fluke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Not sure that is 100% accurate. My understanding is that it is up to the individual Garda whether you are done for dangerous driving or just speeding - there is no specific 'rule' as such. While anecdotal evidence would suggest that most Gardai would let you go with speeding, I'm sure there's a little bollox somewhere who would be more than happy to drag you to court. I believe the line gets particularly grey over the 160 km/h mark, over which some Gardai *apparently* go straight for dangerous driving. IIRC one poster here was clocked at significantly over 160 km/h on an empty motorway and received four points but no DD charge.

Moral of the story: don't get caught!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

What about the guy on the M4 that was doing well over the limit and got something like 6mth Jail time...?
    IIRC one poster here was clocked at significantly over 160 km/h on an empty motorway and received four points but no DD charge.
    4 Points for contesting it in Court and failing maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Matt Simis wrote: »
    4 Points for contesting it in Court and failing maybe?

No. Pretty sure he got 4 points straight and a biggish fine. Not sure how that works with the point system (maybe put him down for 2 speeding offences?) but I think the poster concerned was more than happy with it given the speed he was doing!

Matt Simis wrote: »
    What about the guy on the M4 that was doing well over the limit and got something like 6mth Jail time...?

That's the case I was referring too. Mind the motorway was NOT empty, but the judge is still a muppet of the highest order.

Advertisement