Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can existing drylining be insulated?

• 18-02-2011 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Live in a small cottage that was drylined in or around 1997. The gap between old wall and drylining and on exterior walls is bout 5-6 inches, I can go into attic, crawl over to edge and shine a torch down into it etc.

Can I add any sort of insulation to this drylining? House is pretty cold etc etc

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭hilloftara

pumped insulation might help,its the only thing i can think of,you could put an insulated slab on the interior walls and skim over it.the only thing with that is your makin the rooms smaller

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

might there be damp issues with pumping in insulation?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭hilloftara

well there is this new external insulation ,i dont know too much about it ,that would be another option there are companies out there that do it,when you google it, lots comes up .i dont know about dampness .collar a builder if you know one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 riddler95

try insulating your attic first and see if you notice any improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

dnme wrote: »
    Live in a small cottage that was drylined in or around 1997. The gap between old wall and drylining and on exterior walls is bout 5-6 inches, I can go into attic, crawl over to edge and shine a torch down into it etc.

Can I add any sort of insulation to this drylining? House is pretty cold etc etc

Many thanks

I'd pull the old stuff off to get back the 5-6 inches. Then I'd install insulated plasterboard (the insulation is bonded to the back of the plasterboard). That way I'd gain space in what is described as a small cottage. A variety of insulation thickness are available - I'd go for 2" upwards. And I'd do the ceiling as well - either pulling down the old ceiling or, if ceiling height is sufficient, adding the insulated plasteboard over the existing ceiling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

I'd pull the old stuff off to get back the 5-6 inches. Then I'd install insulated plasterboard (the insulation is bonded to the back of the plasterboard). That way I'd gain space in what is described as a small cottage. A variety of insulation thickness are available - I'd go for 2" upwards. And I'd do the ceiling as well - either pulling down the old ceiling or, if ceiling height is sufficient, adding the insulated plasteboard over the existing ceiling.

Good advice, but if you're thinking about going for the grant you'll need to check their requirements, something like 80 to 100 mm I believe. Plus you'd have to use one of their contractors, but it may be worth it if you're doing all rooms. Depends on the amount of disruption you can handle if you're living there with kids, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Thanks all for replies, but pulling out old and installing new just aint an option. Also insulating the exterior is not an option.

I was hoping maybe there might have been a pump in method ar drop down sheet method or something non destructive. Guess I'll have to live with what I got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

What age is the cottage? What type & thickness are the external walls? These questions need to be answered before any advice can be given.
    My guess is that the cottage was originally drylined and the large gap left for a reason ... damp. If this is the case I would not attempt to fill this void or installing insulated plasterboard as doing so would significantly increases the risk of a myriad of damp related problems. If you are serious about making the cottage warm then hire a professional and take their advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

MicktheMan wrote: »
    What age is the cottage? What type & thickness are the external walls? These questions need to be answered before any advice can be given.
    My guess is that the cottage was originally drylined and the large gap left for a reason ... damp. If this is the case I would not attempt to fill this void or installing insulated plasterboard as doing so would significantly increases the risk of a myriad of damp related problems. If you are serious about making the cottage warm then hire a professional and take their advice.

+ 1 the damp issue and get a professional in to see first hand

Advertisement