Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small upgrade...

Options
  • 18-02-2011 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I've been out of the building/upgrading game for a while now but am getting the itch to do a small upgrade in the next week or two.

I want to switch from Vista to Win7 and what a better pointless excuse to upgrade the machine?!

Anyway, I have a lot of USB connections, big (old) graphics card, two disc drives and four hard drives and they're seeming to have a bit of a drain on my 600W PSU as sometimes it won't pick up my Logitech G15 keyboard or something like an external hard drive, which is why I'm looking for a new PSU.

Where to shop online? While you can't beat the value of HWV I'm looking for somewhere that delivers quick and doesn't involve bank transfers.

What about Dabs? Overclockers? Elara? What's good these days?

Current Kit:
    • 2x 22" LG Widescreen Monitors
    • Windows Vista/ Ubuntu 9.0 Dual boot
    • MSI P43 Neo-F
    • Intel Quad Q9550 2.8ghz @2.8ghz
    • Evga NVidia 8800GTS 320MB
    • OCZ DDR2 PC8500 4GB KIT, Reaper HPC
    • Seasonic 600W PSU
    • 1TB & 320MB Samsung internal Hard Drives
    • 2x 500GB internal WDC Hard drives
    • 1x 250GB & 1x500GB external hard drive.
    • Scythe Ninja
    • 1x blu-ray dvdrw/br drive
    • 1x dvdrw drive

Planning to sell:
    • Seasonic 600W PSU
    • 1x blu-ray dvdrw/br drive
    • MSI P43 Neo-F
    • 2x 22" LG Widescreen Monitors

I'm selling the PSU because of the aforementioned power issue, the mobo because it gave me endless hassle, the BR drive because I never use it and the monitors as they are different colours and are different sizes (1x 24", 1x 23.6") and while monitors are fairly cheap these days why not get a matching set?

Proposed Kit:
    • 2x24" Monitors
    • ATX Mobo S775
    • 32/64bit Win7 OEM
    • 64GB SSD
    • Some Thermal Compound
    • PSU 700W+

Budget is €700 excluding the sales of components I'm planning to sell.

I use intensive software like Photoshop, Lightroom, Dreamweaver, Eclipse, Oracle etc and I always have several programs running at the same time.

I appreciate any help in sharing your wisdom and experience.

J.

Comments

Advertisement