Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

support your own

• 18-02-2011 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

this is a quick and simple message to each and every one,can we please where possible support our own highly skilled men and women who are in the service sector in this country no matter what job they work at be it arcatects,sparks ,plumbers or carpenters ,i am speaking as self employed
    guy who pays his vat ,capital gains tax etc and who will continue to pay what taxes that land at my door in order to kick start this country .it will
    take time but it can be a great place
    to work and play,so enough of the negative buzz and lets get our ass in gear thanks for listening ---

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'll support whoever is the cheapest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭xE

Agree with second post.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Don't get your point OP, when it comes to the service industry we kinda have to support our own, no? Unless you know of plumbers, carpenters etc. who are willing to catch a flight here for a job. :)

Supporting Irish suppliers is a different matter though. I'm willing to (and do) support Irish suppliers when their prices are reasonable, I'd even pay a small premium to buy in Ireland.

However when an item that costs €310 here (from a recent example I had) can be imported from the UK for €192 (including shipping and currency conversion), then there's no chance I'll buy Irish. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

kangojones wrote: »
    this is a quick and simple message to each and every one,can we please where possible support our own highly skilled men and women who are in the service sector in this country no matter what job they work at be it arcatects,sparks ,plumbers or carpenters ,i am speaking as self employed
    guy who pays his vat ,capital gains tax etc and who will continue to pay what taxes that land at my door in order to kick start this country .it will
    take time but it can be a great place
    to work and play,so enough of the negative buzz and lets get our ass in gear thanks for listening ---

:confused:
    I'll support the person who can do the job for a good price and that I feel can do the best job for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

RasTa wrote: »

What do you do for a living? Just curious..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

What do you mean support our own :confused:

I'm hardly going to a ship a sparks in from the UK when there's thousands of sparks in Ieland already.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

RasTa wrote: »
    JustinOval wrote: »
    What do you do for a living? Just curious..

What relevance does that have :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

EDIT: Sorry, just re-read the OP.... What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,720 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Two things:
    1/ Maybe Rip Off Ireland might not have been the most suitable forum if your'e trying to make the point I think you are? (the title kinda explains whats discussed here).

2/ I do support my own - me and mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

We usually go with the best value.

Some of our own, if not all, are the ones ripping us off with high rates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Say this to a certain friend of mine and you’ll get an earful. When he hired locals last year they disappeared with half the work done. He got in 3 polish to finish the jobs. He has another 5 weeks work to do this summer and he’s bringing them back into the country. He’s paying them the same rate as Irish were getting before.

Before anyone starts to complain, if the job hadn’t been finished, He wouldn’t have been able to work and pay tax himself. He always tries to support his own but often we tend to shoot ourselves in the foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

For a lot of construction trades in Ireland they have been decimated by the high wages they must pay apprentices and qualified workers. These massively exhorbitant rates have been set by their own unions and industry so all I can say is ye made yer bed now go lay in it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Trampas

what about companies OP?

only support irish companies? as we know all the profits all go back to the parent company

Advertisement