Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

photoshop(weddings,portraits)

• 18-02-2011 12:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭

would i need to do a course in photoshop if i wanted to do wedding or portrait photography:confused: never realised its so expensive to download:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

You might want to do a photography course before moving on to photoshop, it'll give you the quality photos you'll need to photoshop with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

im in the middle of one;) just want to know would i need photoshop if i decided to do wedding or portrait photos if so i can organise to do one if not well ill save a few quid!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Does the photography course not include any post processing?

Find out by being practical. It's all down to opinion. I'm very, very light with my photoshopping of images, regardless of what the subject is (except on the rare occassion here and there, where I'll go overboard).

My advice is to try taking photos of family or friends and going to hell and back with Photoshop on them. Try to figure out what works for you. Other advice I'd give, without intending to be mean, don't shoot a wedding unless you know for absolute, 100% certainty, exactly what you'll need to do with the images.

it does to be fair but havnt covered that yet maybe i should just wait till ive that done as it might be enough i think its paint net

• Advertisement

Paint.net is a grand program, to be honest. I prefer it over Photoshop.

I shoot mostly RAW, though, and I love Adobe Camera Raw, so I have photoshop on my PC, but yeah, if I were you, I'd wait til you get to grips with paint.net. Do a google and get all the plugins you can find, too. Other people have really added to it.

Paint.net is a grand program, to be honest. I prefer it over Photoshop.

I shoot mostly RAW, though, and I love Adobe Camera Raw, so I have photoshop on my PC, but yeah, if I were you, I'd wait til you get to grips with paint.net. Do a google and get all the plugins you can find, too. Other people have really added to it.

nice one thanks ill leave the photoshop so save myself a few quid if nothing else:D

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭YeGods

get a copy of lightroom 3 - perfect for for this type of thing. then take shots of everything - bride getting ready, outside the church, rings, candles, crowd, expressions, greetings outside etc. it'll take a good long day at home for post processing to get an album together, good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

As said, get lightroom 3 - it's available as a free trial and cheaper than photoshop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

and more useful to the average photog than photoshop too. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

You should be able to get a student discount from Adobe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

City-Exile wrote: »
    You should be able to get a student discount from Adobe.

yeah .... those of us who are not studying pay €700-800 for the program..... students pay about €200 for the same thing :D ...feckin' stoodents !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Realistically at your stage Photoshop Elements is going to give you all you need and more for about 1/6th the price of Photoshop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

bullpost wrote: »
    Realistically at your stage Photoshop Elements is going to give you all you need and more for about 1/6th the price of Photoshop.

+ 1 on this.

I am photoshopping a wedding as we speak and the amount of features in Photoshop Elements is more than enough to cater for a wedding package.

Someone earlier mentioned getting to grips with your photographic technique as being more important and I have to say I fully agree with that.

The more you can achieve straight out of camera without having to resort to any heavy photoshop the better your images will be.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭showit

i would also recommend getting Lightroom 3, its really were 90% of post processing is done for weddings & portraits -

bullpost wrote: »

thanks mate ill look into that;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Just a little question:

What is the difference between Lightroom and Photoshop?What does one have that the other doesn't?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nebezpeci Mys

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Just a little question:

What is the difference between Lightroom and Photoshop?What does one have that the other doesn't?:confused:

I'm not an expert, so I'm not able to list the exact differences, but Photoshop is far more complex and more powerfull. Lightroom has similar tools - just the range is not as wide as in Photoshop. Lightroom is much easier to use though, much more intuitive... (at least for me :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

Would it be fair to say you could edit a wedding in it's entirety just using Adobe Camera RAW?

That's what I'd aim for. It's a simple program, lets you make basic changed, but not enough that you can ruin the images (though they'll all look 'straight out of camera'. I don't believe ACR allows you to dodge/burn/blur/etc.)?

• Advertisement
Advertisement