Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless router and Gaming

• 18-02-2011 1:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi there

I am thinking of getting UPC 20mb broadband but I am worried about how this will affect my on-line gaming.
    I will have to connect to it wirelessly using a wireless router which they provide. My PC has an "n" wireless card(with antenna) and would be about 2 rooms away from the router. It is only a year old and is up to date.

I am used to playing games wired on my PC which is only 2.5mb/s atm and it works nicely, but others in my house would like to have the higher 20mb from UPC.

As you probably know, its important to have a steady flow when you are playing games online with no interruptions and I was wondering if anybody on the forum had an opinion on this?
    It would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Hi there

I am thinking of getting UPC 20mb broadband but I am worried about how this will affect my on-line gaming.

I will have to connect to it wirelessly using a wireless router which they provide. My PC has an "n" wireless card(with antenna) and would be about 2 rooms away from the router. It is only a year old and is up to date.

I am used to playing games wired on my PC which is only 2.5mb/s atm and it works nicely, but others in my house would like to have the higher 20mb from UPC.

As you probably know, its important to have a steady flow when you are playing games online with no interruptions and I was wondering if anybody on the forum had an opinion on this?
    It would be greatly appreciated.

I have their 30MB package and my son is two rooms away and has little to no issues.
    He's an xbox and PC gamer.
    I would also have my PS3 and laptop on at the same time.
    Everything is wireless.
    I can't recommend UPC broadband highly enough.
    Seriously, get it. You won't be disappointed.

I have their modem and seperate router, I believe their modem/router combo is crap. So try to avoid the combo one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 frostfrosty

Many thanks for your advice, it sounds like I should be fine :).

The thing is, I have to get their router/modem. I wonder if anybody has any experience playing online games with this set-up?

If they have any good/bad experiences I'd love to have your advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

I've had nothing but hardship online gaming wirelessly with upc's modem/router. U can however use another router and use upc's device as a modem only. Unfortunately for me, I can't do this because I have the phone with them as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

i asked just for a modem instead and bought a third party router. If gaming is your concern, as with me then maybe invest in a gaming router. I use a dlink DGL4500 and it allows me to have optimal connection while gaming even when other are using the laptop or desktop or mobile devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pio42

Steve do you mind sharing where you got your DGL-4500 as I really want to get one but I'm afraid nobody will ship it to Europe!
    Thanks for the help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

I got it sent from Australia, my auntie shipped it to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I think you will be ok, if your that worries about wireless, maybe the homeplug route to ensure a wired connection might be of use

i used an xbox wirelessly on a 2mb connection for years, worked aok

Advertisement