Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xlc Project Fundraiser - Please Show Your Support

• 18-02-2011 3:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I said id post this in the city forum as the area that hopes to benefit from the fundraiser is based in the city!

From Thursday 24th February - Saturday 26th of February the students of the XLC Project will be in Tesco in Tramore trying to raise some much needed funds for the school by helping out with the packing of the customers shopping.
    Now i know in the recent few days there has been a lot of bad talk about "Charity Bag Packers" in supermarkets so for those of you who do not know what the XLC Project is all about heres a little info:

- Set up by Nuala Jackson a former teacher, the XLC Project has been running for the past 13 years. With very little funding the project has just about managed to stay afloat with a big thanks to volunteers who have been giving their time to come down and help out week in week out.
    - The minimal funding is due to run out this year leaving the school to run on nothing and therefore the possibility of closing is looking increasingly likely unless the funds are raised.
    - This school has put over 1,000 students through the leaving and junior cert and has become an essential part of education in Waterford and beyond and with an extremely high pass rate at that.

As someone who is doing a bit of work there myself the main thing I have seen and have to say I admire alot is the fact that even though it is not compulsory for even one student to attend it has possibly got a better if not as good an attendance percentage rate as any mainstream school.

The reason for this is simple - each and every student has made it their own personal choice that they want to attend and they want to learn!!

I have talked to students who have had the idea that they do not need the leaving cert for anything to attending the XLC Project and realising they want to follow their ambitions in life - for example to become Vetinarians or members of the Gardaí.

So lets not deny these students their future or any future students for that matter and come out and show a little support in Tesco in Tramore between Thursday - Saturday :)

Also any person who would like to give a little time each week if they can to help out in the XLC Project dont hesitate to pm me :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I was with xlc for a while. Great place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

seanybiker wrote: »
    I was with xlc for a while. Great place.

Absolutely! :)

Been down there helping out to do the fundraising with 3 weeks and at this stage i dont think il ever want to leave it :)

Me twin brother was there for a while and he's a cop now. Thats a good success story I suppose. Depending on who ya are lol.
    Owen is sound out. Some brains. He was in the paper last year for doing a load of subjects in the leaving. Nuala is cracked haha lovely woman. Used to teach in waterpark.

Me twin brother was there for a while and he's a cop now. Thats a good success story I suppose. Depending on who ya are lol.
    Owen is sound out. Some brains. He was in the paper last year for doing a load of subjects in the leaving. Nuala is cracked haha lovely woman. Used to teach in waterpark.

Nuala - Absolute legend!!
    Nice one about the brother - point just proven there - its not impossible for anyone once you put your mind to it :)

Actually I know another chap who went there and he had his own business the last time I was talking to him. I know another 2 that went there when it first started in Owens room I think it was.

• Advertisement

Actually I know another chap who went there and he had his own business the last time I was talking to him. I know another 2 that went there when it first started in Owens room I think it was.

Its amazing how many people have gone through the books there - everyone knows someone who is after being helped out in there - would be such a shame to see it close

Advertisement