Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Judo Intervarsities 2010/11 DCU

• 18-02-2011 9:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭

Good luck to everyone fighting tomorrow, out in DCU. Hopefully
    there will be plenty of great matchs and not so many injuries.

Perhaps people could post up the results, and some videos/pic here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

+1.

Would be great to see the results and photos/videos go up here! Such a great weekend, I'm sad not to be there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I think Sid Injustice might be fighting.

I might try get over and take some photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Pingu

Best of luck to all involved, first one I'm missing since taking up judo - but getting old so a stag party wins out!

Be great if you got a few pics Makikomi

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

I wont be fighting so Ill try and get a few snaps and post them up. Ill have the laptop with me so if there's wifi Ill update as the day goes on.

nobbo wrote: »
    I wont be fighting so Ill try and get a few snaps and post them up. Ill have the laptop with me so if there's wifi Ill update as the day goes on.

Hey give me a shout if you see me there - I've a mallet head, so you'll not miss me!..

attachment.php?attachmentid=148157&d=1297782190

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

I'll be there. Hopefully I won't completely embarrass myself at my first competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

i'm going for a bit anyway. priority one is not getting DQed

it's also 2011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

I'm trapped in a black hole at the minute, time moves very slowly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

I'll be there but I'll be really shít :-)

If anyone needs some cannon fodder, you know where to find me!

Best o luck with that...

Although it was kinda entertaining the last time.

• Advertisement

I have wifi here so I'll do my best to keep people updated of whats happening throughout the day.

it's also 2011

Has anyone been DQ'ed more in IV history?

Has anyone been DQ'ed more in IV history?

Or banned more from boards.ie :p

I'm on tables so wont be updating as much.

But, QUB won the womens teams event beating NUIG in the final. TCD and DCU got bronze medals.

The mens teams is on now, DIT beat ITT in the semi final, and UCC are fighting DCU in the other semi now.

I got 3 shidos in my last fight, apparently the first is a gimmie, one more and i'd get a dq.

DIT won the men's team event for the first time (AFAIK). As nobbo said they beat the favoured TCD team in the first round and the DCU in the final 5-0 with 5 ippons. Very impressive.

DCU did an excellent job organising the IVs this year - well done to them!

The thing I'm happiest about this year is that there were less injuries than usual :D

Got 3 bronze which I'm pretty chuffed with. One in the teams event with IT Tralee, one in the yellow belt category and one in the +100kg category. Not bad for my first competition:D

Just want to say thank you to DCU who ran a very well organised competition with three mats on the go, and the banquet afterwards was good craic too. Some great throws on the mat yesterday also.

Makikomi: I saw you there yesterday, (Jesus you're a big dude, thank god you're not in college anywhere!) but I was taking part in the Yellow belt category at the time and you were with a few friends so I didn't want to walk over and be like this:

im-from-the-internet.jpg

Opinicus wrote: »
    Makikomi: I saw you there yesterday, (Jesus you're a big dude, thank god you're not in college anywhere!) but I was taking part in the Yellow belt category at the time and you were with a few friends

Oh don't be silly, I'd have been delighted to meet you.

I met Hobbo when he came over and introduced himself to me.

And Sid wasn't DQ'd eh, but he did have a nice axe kick to break an opponents grips :p

Ray Stears showed me that grip breaker i think

Who won the open and the other weight categories.

Based on what I saw and what I was told the DIT lad ALeks inthe <73/66kg category was very good, the TCD german lad in the <90/100 category was very good and i guess the old reliables deenihan brothers would be in the mix. couple of other black belts floating around too. I think Olga from QUB pretty much dominated the female category.

• Advertisement

Ray Stears showed me that grip breaker i think

I never seen Ray teach that, although I've seen it used a long time ago out in Portmarnock.. Ray is a good man for the grips, lots of grip fighting in PJC.

Who won the open and the other weight categories.

A guy whose name was Jonathan ahern or hearne from jordanstown won the open. He beat JT Deenihan in the semi-final and he also beat John Deenihan earlier on. To me it looked like John had thrown him for ippon with an uchi-mata but he must have done something to counter somehow as the refs gave the ippon to the jordanstown guy.

Don't know names for winners of the other categories. I got thrown by a massive german dude from TCD in the +100kg. He took the silver. A guy from UCC won the white belt category and Vitaly from UL won the yellow belt category. JT Deenihan won either the 81kg or 90kg, not sure which.

Don't know names for winners of the other categories. I got thrown by a massive german dude from TCD in the +100kg. He took the silver. A guy from UCC won the white belt category and Vitaly from UL won the yellow belt category. JT Deenihan won either the 81kg or 90kg, not sure which.

The big German guy you're talking about is probably Lennart Neums from our club in TCD - he's unbelievable.

Actually, I've just been informed that Lennart took gold - Alex Henken, also from Trinity, got silver, so it was probably him who threw you.

Actually, I've just been informed that Lennart took gold - Alex Henken, also from Trinity, got silver, so it was probably him who threw you.

He threw me within 10 seconds. He just put his big arm over my shoulder and then it was goodnight irene. Can't even remember what he actually threw me with.

My teammate Jamie from IT Tralee got thrown by the guy who got gold (lennart) That was over in about 10 seconds too. He turned in for what looked like a seoi nage but then switched it to ko uchi gari and took him back. He was very fast for a +100kg guy.

He threw me within 10 seconds. He just put his big arm over my shoulder and then it was goodnight irene. Can't even remember what he actually threw me with.

Alex has blonde hair and wears glasses when not fighting, and Lennart has brownish-redish hair and a goatee. They're both excellent fighters and have fought for Germany, as far as I know. If it was Alex, I'll ask him what he threw you with.

Alex has blonde hair and wears glasses when not fighting, and Lennart has brownish-redish hair and a goatee. They're both excellent fighters and have fought for Germany, as far as I know. If it was Alex, I'll ask him what he threw you with.

Yeah definitely Alex so, I was talking to him afterwards, sound fella.

Based on what I saw and what I was told the DIT lad ALeks inthe <73/66kg category was very good,

Was he the first fella on the mat for the DIT team? I think his name was alex, he threw me with a drop seoi nage for ippon. Very fast. I think he may have got the silver in his weight class.

I so wish I was there! Well done to DIT to getting the mens team gold. Good to have a mix of winners over the years, rather than one college dominating. Not that I would have complained if TCD won. :D

Who won the players of the day? And throws of the day?

Were will the IVs head next year?

And another important question... best/worst college for the drunken dancing afterwards?

just-joe wrote: »
    Were will the IVs head next year?

And another important question... best/worst college for the drunken dancing afterwards?

Queens University in Belfast will be provisionally hosting it next year.

As for the dancing: watching some of my team-mates from Tralee trying to dance the Siege Of Ennis to "Girls & Boys" by Blur was certainly interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

They're both excellent fighters and have fought for Germany, as far as I know.
    I don't think this is true.

(The fighting for Germany part, that is. I'm not denying their fighting ability!)

Handful of videos up on youtube, some good ones too!

just-joe wrote: »
    Handful of videos up on youtube, some good ones too!

Link?

Male player of the day was Adam Ahmed. Female player of the day was Sarah McDaid. Throw of the day was Jonathon Herron. Spirit of Judo was given to Diana Sandu.

Male open was won by Jonathon Herron from Ren-Bu-Kan, an (ex?) Irish fighter. Female open was won by Sarah Mcdaid. Male -90s was won by Jonathon Herron, Males -81 was won by JT Deenihan. Males 73s was won by Adam Corcoran. Female -70 was won by Fiona Keating(:P).

All I can remember.

And just on the people congratulating DCU on organising a well run event, are you kidding me? They had 3 mats with only 6 referees, only had enough people for one mat on tables(NUIG ran the other 2) and they didn't have someone to run the day overall. I was on table one, and I hated not being able to run a repechage for the mens lower kyu since it was their first competition for most of them, simply because we had to watch the time as we were being kicked out of the hall at 5.30. Also, apologies to anyone who was fighting on mat 1 and I didnt give you a break, we had so little time, for a while I had two fights lined up and ready so we could motor through. DCU were offered help left right and centre but didnt avail of it from anyone. I would hate to have seen what would've happened if people didn't step in to help out on the day.

Queens will be hosting it next year with Trinity as back-up.

Edit: I also got the sheet for the points system to qualify for the world student games in China in august, Ill post it up when I get a chance

Ah sorry, of course.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PATXTVzjTwQ
    If you search judo intervarsities and put sort by to upload date, you'll get em.

Seems like the standard was really high then, seen most of those names fight before and they're all quality.

who's adam ahmed?

also big shout out to big-joe who won some of his matches using tai-chi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 angryman1

Yea that john herron fella was on fire! Is he not the irish champion U90kg? I heard he is comming back from injury! did he not get player of the day??? In my eyes he was the best player there by a mile! He had a hard draw in the open the deenihan brothers in 1/4 and semi finals and ciaran nolan in the final. The 1/4 final fight with John Deenihan was thrown with an uchimata counter in the IJF rules you either get ippon against you or Disqualified for head diving but its a common enough throw.

Who won U73s i didnt get to see the final i seen adan and peter in it though. I wish i could have fought!

sorry see who won U73s now! what did JT win if ciaran won the U81s???

angryman1 wrote: »
    sorry see who won U73s now! what did JT win if ciaran won the U81s???

he definitely got one gold. I'll ask him and get back to you.

nobbo wrote: »
    Spirit of Judo was given to Deirdre Higgins(I think).

Spirit of Judo was given to Diana Sandu from Trinity.

JT Deenihan definitely won the -81kg category, and he got bronze in the open.

Sorry for all the mistakes, only going on what I was told...

• Advertisement

And how did the graduate/non student thing work out? Were many fighting?

I think only two people entered the veteran category.

Three entered the veterans, but two dropped out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 angryman1

Is there no other videos uploaded to you tube of the dan grades???

I think these are the official results.

Mens Open
    1. Jonathon Heron UUJ
    2. Ciaran Nolan DIT
    3. Sean O’Doherty QUB
    4. Jt Deenihan UL

Mens -90kg
    1. Jonathon Heron UUJ
    2. John Deenihan TCD
    3. Stephen Bradshaw
    4. Luke McCabe WIT