Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convert degree result to GPA? 1:1 --> GPA

Options
  • 18-02-2011 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows the conversion between results such as 1st class honours to the GPA system, i.e. a number between 0-4 ? I contacted the college and they are getting back to me in the evening but the immediate response to the query was confusion!

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 pugsymalone

I'm guessing now, but I'm sure it'd be close enough to a 4.0 GPA. A freind was applying for a post-grad in the US and got information from the American Embassy to do the coversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭síofra

From UCD's Registry:
    http://www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/asug/assessmentgradingandexaminers/asugtitle,39256,en.html

Each grade that you get for each module has a value. So as you see from the link I sent you, A+ is equal to 4.2. You multiply your grade value by the number of credits that that module was worth. So say a module was worth 5 credits and you got an A+, you would multiply 4.2 by 5. When you've done this for all your modules, add up the totals for all of them and then divide by the number of credits. Then look at the table at the bottom of the link to see what your GPA is. ( A pain in the ass I know, it took me half an hour to do mine!!)

Hope it's useful:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

The embassy, never even thought of them. Cheers!

The UCD one looks useful but they might not follow the same system as DIT. I did a post-grad in Maynooth and they sounded a bit more clued in as to how to do the conversion.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

I'm guessing now, but I'm sure it'd be close enough to a 4.0 GPA. A freind was applying for a post-grad in the US and got information from the American Embassy to do the coversion.

Seems logical to me

Advertisement