Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl brands misleading origin?

Options
  • 18-02-2011 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

I've noticed recently, after taking the time to actually look at the labels on the products that I buy, that quite a few products from Lidl contain a sticker stating that they are an Irish product, but when you read the address on the product the producer is in the North.

Now, debates over what constitutes "Ireland" aside, is this not a misleading practice? The money is clearly going to a different economy.

Any thoughts on this? Is it an allowed practice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

To be honest Lidl (or Aldi) are hardly stores that come to mind when discussing Irish products. Not many people shopping in Lidl can be too concerned about the goods being Irish (north or south).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It's misleading but not incorrect - the North is part of Ireland.

Now, if they said "made in the Republic of Ireland"...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭xE

It's misleading but not incorrect - the North is part of Ireland.

Now, if they said "made in the Republic of Ireland"...........

So they're allowed do this? I've noticed Dunnes Stores have been at the same recently with some of their products.

Lidl's "Inisvale" and "Ballymanor" brands are the two main one's I've noticed.
    To be honest Lidl (or Aldi) are hardly stores that come to mind when discussing Irish products. Not many people shopping in Lidl can be too concerned about the goods being Irish (north or south).
    I'm concerned, but I shop there regularly due to financial constraints. I've recently started buying goods which I use alot - meat, milk, etc. - only when I'm sure that they are made in the South.

What concerns me more is Dunne's Stores getting in on this misleading practice while their ads boom "the difference is we're Irish".

You seem unaware that there is major cross-border agreement on marketing Irish goods and tourism on an all island bases.

I still think that shopping in Lidl automatically says you have no real desire to buy Irish. You'll buy chaeper brands there (and rightly so if on a budget) which come from all over the world and then complain about the butter or milk being from the North! It just doesn't gel; being picky for some products and not others. Buy the cheap toilet roll or floor cleaner from Germany because it's 8% cheaper than the Irish brands in Tesco and then get fussy about a northern Ireland bread?

As for the labeling; they are doing nothing wrong. Irish is Irish. And, as I said there is cross governmental approval for all island marketing, particularly of foodstuffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I shop at Lidl and buy a lot of 'irish' produce, I reckon about 30% of their fresh stuff is Irish, probably more than tesco to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Afaik they have two stickers ont to show it has been produced in the Republic and another to show it is produced on the Island of Ireland including the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

This is nothing new Tesco have been doing this for years. There was a fuss about them doing it for a while and I think they did change some suppliers but it's not a new practice and most supermarkets are at it to one extent or another.

Regarding the cynicism that if one buys from Lidl they don't give a damn about the origin of their products - this is bull****. Lidl and Aldi are both more than committed to Ireland and although they offer "budget" products, quite a lot do come from Ireland. It is their methods of cost cutting that allow them to offer the same produce (cowbelle milk being avonmore with a different label...)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

Tesco always do this. I always look at the back for the IE or UK in small print. The North is Ireland anyway!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I remember during the contaminated-pork scare a couple of years ago, Lidl were selling "Irish Pork-Sausages" with a sticker on them which said "Pork sourced from non-Irish farms".

AFAIK if any sort of processing takes part in Ireland, they are alowed to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Nothing misleading at all about it. Ireland refers to the whole island.

It's very short-sighted to consider the North as being a completely separate economy to the South. Both economies are linked together.

Regarding the cynicism that if one buys from Lidl they don't give a damn about the origin of their products - this is bull****. Lidl and Aldi are both more than committed to Ireland and although they offer "budget" products, quite a lot (my emphasis) do come from Ireland. It is their methods of cost cutting that allow them to offer the same produce (cowbelle milk being avonmore with a different label...)

Sorry, I can't let that go. Lidl are right next door to us here. We are just back from a recon. 20% max of the products are of Irish origin and that's leaving out the non-household items and just concentrating on grocery items. Biscuits from Yemen, tinned veg from China. Cleaning products from Germany and nappies from France. Yes breads, milk and the like are Irish - hardly practical to do otherwise. By value it's a massive swing towards non-Irish products.

It's doesn't particularly bother me. I'll buy Irish if there's little or no price difference in it but I'll not let untrue statements go unanswered. So what if they sell non-Irish products if we only shop there to save money. I don't deny they are cheaper, and I'm delighted they are, but don't make out they sell "quite a lot" of Irish products because as a proportion of the total stock they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Aldi claim that over 40% of their products are either of Irish origin or sourced in Ireland. That's second only to Supervalu amongst supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

91011 wrote: »
    Aldi claim that over 40% of their products are either of Irish origin or sourced in Ireland. That's second only to Supervalu amongst supermarkets.

Don't forget that a baguette and a bread roll are two different 'products' so if Aldi use a baker that produces 25 different types of breads, rolls and wraps then that's 25 Irish products. Equally any milk, yoghurts, cheese and other dairy products are likely to be Irish too. That can amount to a high percentage of products. So their claim may well be legitimate and to be honest I'd say it would be legitimate as their lawyers wouldn't let them make the claim otherwise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

dilallio wrote: »
    I remember during the contaminated-pork scare a couple of years ago, Lidl were selling "Irish Pork-Sausages" with a sticker on them which said "Pork sourced from non-Irish farms".

AFAIK if any sort of processing takes part in Ireland, they are alowed to do this.

The EU is looking to change food labeling origins, so the ingredients list would state the country of origin after the ingredient but there is only so much space on the label.

20% is good, considering we only produce about 42% of the items in a supermarket, this is therefore the maximum you could stock, within reason.

ch750536 wrote: »
    20% is good, considering we only produce about 42% of the items in a supermarket, this is therefore the maximum you could stock, within reason.

No No No you misunderstand. We counted items not type of items (eg 5 sorts of bread not just bread).

I have my last grocery receipt here from another supermarket. 65% of the items are Irish (pure chance as I don't specifically look to buy Irish).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

aldi are far better tham Any of the the others with regards to buying irish. Especially when it comes to meat chickhen milk etc. Fruit veg etc. They are also constantly picking up more brands each day and paying the producer a better price.

No No No you misunderstand. We counted items not type of items (eg 5 sorts of bread not just bread).

I have my last grocery receipt here from another supermarket. 65% of the items are Irish (pure chance as I don't specifically look to buy Irish).

You want them to stock 5 types of Irish everything. why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭CabanasBoy

baldbear wrote: »
    Tesco always do this. I always look at the back for the IE or UK in small print. The North is Ireland anyway!!!

It may be Ireland geographically but as OP has pointed out, it is a different economy! any taxes paid (on the production of said product, on the wages of the people employed in producing said products) in NI go to the UK treasury and don't benefit us in any way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

CabanasBoy wrote: »
    on the wages of the people employed in producing said products) in NI go to the UK treasury and don't benefit us in any way.

So you'd like us to pay for all Ulster as well --- FFS we can't pay our own way.

The UK exchequer even stompped up to our bail out, with better rates than "OUR FRIENDS" in the E.U.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

we have 1/3rd of Ulster already ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

watty wrote: »
    we have 1/3rd of Ulster already ;)

And I said all of Ulster. I know my geography & history :)
    The rest of my reply would be off topic - so I will not go there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

i remember during the irish pork ban we bought the "brannans" rashers and sausages from lidl which say they are irish on the packet, came with a big PRODUCT OF FRANCE sticker ontop of the label:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭CabanasBoy

dh0661 wrote: »
    So you'd like us to pay for all Ulster as well --- FFS we can't pay our own way.

The UK exchequer even stompped up to our bail out, with better rates than "OUR FRIENDS" in the E.U.

What the hell has this got to do with subject??
    Taxes paid in the North do not benefit the Irish State in any way so for any supermarket to promote a product as being "Irish" (when in fact it's a product of the UK) when we're being urged to "Buy Irish" to help the "Irish" economy is borderline deceitful.
    Would you like us to wear union jack underpants and celebrate the queen of England's birthday just cos they're loaning us a few bob?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - stop arguing

dudara

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

you could look at it another way.

Lidl/Aldi are giving jobs to people in ROI, which means they have money to spend on rent, alcohol, food etc. and are paying taxes in this country. and its not just jobs in their store, there are delivery men, waste collectors, disturbition etc.

Maybe if Lidl/Aldi were not in Ireland, these people may be claiming dole and not financially contributing to the ROI.

then from the customer end, we are all saving money buying groceries there, which means we have more money to spend in general.

so it is all swings and roundabout really. personally, i would prefer people to have jobs and more money in my pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

(cowbelle milk being avonmore with a different label...)

No its not, different company altogether. It is probably the same as Dawn milk though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Last time I checked this island is called Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Mankyspuds

I came back from Lidl there a while ago, I bought '6 Large Irish Eggs', When popping them into the fridge I spotted a UK stamp on them. Now I am not a nark, but if they are saying that they are Irish, surely they should have an Irish stamp? I was a little pissed off about it.

Advertisement