Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving on the aural

• 18-02-2011 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Hey guys, just wonder if anyone has any tips for improving on the aural, especially in French.
    I've heard listening to podcasts is a huge help, and in comparison the aural seems more simple then, but I have no idea where to start looking? Anyone know a good place to get them?
    Anyone else have tips? Vocab, CDs, foreign radio? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭síofra

Here's a link to a list of sites where they provide French lessons for free (many are podcasts). All of them have been selected by a Stanford Professor so they are guaranteed high quality. I hope this might be useful. Best of luck and good on you for looking for ways to improve:)

http://www.openculture.com/free_french_lessons

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

I'm assuming you've finished the exam papers, so you might want to look at other aids such as Ecoutez Bien 2 or Ecoutez et Ameliorez Vous 2.. However, you prolly don't want to spend money on them so http://www.listenlive.eu/france.html is a good place to start. I would recommend France Inter which is the second one on the list. You can listen to them through iTunes so its handy out!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭wtrdfrd18

Best way to improve on tapes?

Just keep doing them. Do all the ones in your exams papers, the sample papers, the books people suggested are very good too for practice, found Ecoutez Bien 2 to be of a slightly lower standard than the papers, but very very good for listening and practice.
    If theres a word you dont understand, start making a list of all of them,translate, and learn them! Very handy to have a go to guide for Vocab!

I remember I even listened to some of the cd I got with my JC papers.. just to get practice listening, translating as you go.

Even ask your teacher for old papers, or pre papers, no doubt they will be more than happy to help!

Bonne Chance! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are lots of French language talk radio stations online.
    Even if you just have them going in the background and are not 'listening' as such, you will get a feel for the sound and flow of the language and the examples in the aural test will seem easy by comparison.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Exothermic

Thanks a bunch guys :P Gonna get a new playlist set up for my iPod at the moment! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ddyradd

The best way to prepare for auditive comprehension is to listen to native french. I got 98% on my French aural last year. Everyday I listened to TV5 monde on the TV or on the internet for 15mins before school with my breakfast - as stupid as that sounds!! The idea is that if you can familiarise yourself with native speed French you will succeed in the comprehension as it is so much slower its unbelievable ... These little things make the difference and the past papers are an imperative tool

Advertisement