Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recieved written warning from job without verbal

Options
  • 18-02-2011 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Right I am in my job 5 years and 2 months at the moment the job are trying to get rid of staff.

Never had any problems in the job at all no Sick days in 5 years at all.

My late's coming into work well they are not the best.

So I swapped a Saturday with a staff member in work and I never showed up to work that Saturday I was issued with a Awol letter to which I replied and offered to work it up again and I didn't show up again.

I got a letter to ask me to explain myself to which we corresponded in 3 letters and I offered back days and I was told no I could not work it back again several times.

Now fast forward 2 weeks ago was called into office and given a written warning and asked to sign for it to which I did.

Now I thought that you have to get a verbal first and then a written the union to be honest could not tell me much and were not that helpful as for information.

The union wrote me a letter to appeal the written warning and as far as I know I can appeal it again in 6 months.

I was told by the hr guy that it would be on my record for 2 years which I think is a bit much i don't want this hanging over my head for the rest of my career.

In the union letter I wrote that I have offered time back and there is noting more I can offer and the best I can say is that it will not happen again.

I have since improved in my time keeping and am keeping my head down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Now I thought that you have to get a verbal first and then a written the union to be honest could not tell me much and were not that helpful as for information.
    Most, if not all HR policies allow them to skip one or more steps in the warning process depending on the seriousness of the "offence".

Being AWOL twice would indeed be valid reason (IMO) for them to skip the verbal warning stage(s) and jump straight to a written warning.
    I was told by the hr guy that it would be on my record for 2 years which I think is a bit much i don't want this hanging over my head for the rest of my career.
    2 years seems more than reasonable, it's not "the rest of your career". Most other policies would keep these records for 3 - 5 years.
    I have since improved in my time keeping and am keeping my head down.
    Do this for 2 years and you're in the clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Employment law only recommends that a disciplinary procedure is in place, not what the exact steps are. Some industries or companies might sign up to a common code, but that's about it. So unless your disciplinary procedures state that a verbal warning must be given first, then I think you're out of luck.

As Seamus has said, it is unlikely that a company will tie themselves into having to giving a verbal warning first, as it restricts what they can do in the event of a more serious transgression.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Two AWOLs?

Take your written, wait two years. Seems fair to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭chappy

In my company this situation has been treated as gross misconduct and I have seen people dismissed or given final written warnings.I would say you've gotten off pretty lightly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You missed two days, it's very serious

Now if it was just one day I think you'd have gotten a verbal.
    But it's not exact and there are no set rules, it depends on the company.

The main thing is the warnings are reasonable and fair and in this case, a written warning for two AWOL's sounds about right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Most companies will skip the verbal warning stage if they deem the offence serious enough, this is what they have done. It was 6 months where I worked that it stayed on your record though. I used to swap shifts occassionally, but only after at least informing 1/2 direct managers, and HR (if they were open). And I still went down as absent, every time. You should at least notify everyone possible if you're switching a shift.

Advertisement