Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some odd problems!

• 18-02-2011 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭

As most people here know, we have 2 female cats that we adopted a few months ago.Both are neutered.

I've noticed 2 odd things, if anyone has any insight on them it would be great!

Firstly one of the cats has recently taken to.....aiming..... her backside at various different things and making the sort of movements tom cats make when they're spraying things. Not to get into too much detail, but her tail kind of sticks straight up and vibrates...you get the picture.Nothing comes out - and she's very definitely a female - has anyone any idea why she might be doing this??

Secondly, we seem to have acquired another one - or maybe 2 - cats. There's definitely one, maybe 2, small black Tom cats hanging around the house.They're coming right up to the door and looking in, almost as if they're "calling" for our cats! I went down this morning to see my 2 sitting on the garden fences, and a black tom cat relaxing in the middle of the lawn. When he saw me, he very obligingly sprayed the bed he was lying against, and then went on his merry way. The reason this is annoying me is because both our gardens now absolutely stink of cat pee. The tom cats are spraying every single thing - I watched one walk along the top of the fence yesterday, marking the top of every fence post and when it reached the house, he turned around and marked the wall of the house for good measure.

There are a lot of cats in the neighbourhood - our next door neighbours have 3 and they don't do this. These 2 cats are from some other house, I've no idea where.Has anyone any idea why they might be hanging around like this? And HOW can I stop them from spraying? Looking out I can actually see our shed door has been sprayed 2 or 3 times. Everything stinks, and it's disgusting.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have seen a female cat do this before(one cat), but no idea what it means.

As for the cats hanging around, I'm afraid when you have cats that will happen, they hang around on the off chance of a snack, so make sure there is never any food the visitors could get.

For getting rid of the smell, I have found disinfectant works best, I use Zoflora, or if I run out some washing powder and warm water(not non bio powder, has to be biological).
    I have a neighbour who refuses to neuter his toms, so my back and front door stink most days.

If you have the time a super soaker water pistol works quite well(just sit with windows open, give them a squirt when you spot them, doesn't hurt, they just hate being wet), doesn't deter them completely but helps.

Advertisement