Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Ideas Where the Best Price & The Best Place to buy Whiskey is

Options
  • 18-02-2011 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Hey Im new to drinking whiskey drank a lot and tasted some different ones at crimbo.

I find myself very mellow with it and really like it but not taken to drinking it straight just yet.

My question is where is the best place to buy whiskey ?

Any good shops in buy it in at a good price or is tesco and dunnes or super value the best places.

Just want a fair price and a good price.

I bought my last bottle 70cl in january worked out 21 euro jameson it was.

I love Scotch... Scotch Scotch Scotch down into my belly Emmm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

If you are looking for the cheaper blends the O'Briens off licence have had a special offer on Bushmills Blackbush €19 down from €27 and it's much better quality than Jaemeson imo. Jameson Crested Ten is only a few euro more than standard Jameson too and is much nicer.

I prefer the Irish blends to Scotch ones, especially at the under €30 mark so I would stick Irish if I were you. Scotch single malts are generally better than Irish (with the exception of Tyrconnell which is as good as any imo) but if you are still not drinking whiskey straight then don't be spending your money on more expensive singlemalts. When you do though, it will be a whole new exciting experience for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

If you ever go through Stansted airport, it's got an almighty selection of whiskey/scotch, and a full time member of staff to assist. Reasonably priced as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭donaghs

Despite VAT changes on both sides of the border, UK supermarkets still tend to be better than Irish supermarkets for booze prices, and variety. Particularly Scotch. With fuel prices going up though, its not always worth the trip to Northern Ireland. If you know anyone going North, you could ask them to keep an eye out for a nice 12-year old Scotch for under £30 - will see plenty of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

redlead wrote: »
    Scotch single malts are generally better than Irish (with the exception of Tyrconnell which is as good as any imo) but if you are still not drinking whiskey straight then don't be spending your money on more expensive singlemalts.

That's just a matter of opinion, of course. There are many many rubbish scotches and many many great ones, by virtue of the fact that there's so many scotch distilleries.

Cooley make great single malt. Bushmills isn't to my particular taste sometimes, but they still make great single malt.

Cheapest place to buy whiskey is from abroad. Some shops in Germany and the Netherlands will still send to Ireland. Great value from there, even when postage is taken into account.

The Celtic Whiskey Shop is also good value for some whiskies. Their Bowmores and Glendronachs are as good value as you'll get anywhere.

Brockagh wrote: »
    That's just a matter of opinion, of course. There are many many rubbish scotches and many many great ones, by virtue of the fact that there's so many scotch distilleries.

Cooley make great single malt. Bushmills isn't to my particular taste sometimes, but they still make great single malt.

Fair point, there are just so few Irish Single Malts to chose from. Tyrconnell 10 year old is absolutely fantastic stuff, especially the Madeira cask. Connemara is also lovely but still not up to Islay standards imo (I have only tried the standard Connemara to be fair). Bushmills make a good whiskey too I suppose.

• Advertisement

The Connemara is okay. It's a youngish whiskey (maybe 5 to 8 yrs), while most of the entry-level bottlings from the Islay distilleries are aged 10, 12 or 16 yrs old.

And, there are some Islays that aren't going to be to everyone's taste. Many dislike recent Bowmores (not me, I like it). Bruichladdich isn't as popular as the likes of Laphroaig or Lagavuling or Ardbeg. And peat addicts often give little thought to Bunnahabhain.

I'm not a massive fan of the Connemara 12, but some of the single casks are brilliant, especially in independent bottlings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Superquinn are having a special on Bushmills on Wed at 15 euro a bottle. No Blackbush unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

donaghs wrote: »
    Despite VAT changes on both sides of the border, UK supermarkets still tend to be better than Irish supermarkets for booze prices, and variety. Particularly Scotch. With fuel prices going up though, its not always worth the trip to Northern Ireland. If you know anyone going North, you could ask them to keep an eye out for a nice 12-year old Scotch for under £30 - will see plenty of them.

This. One of my favourites is the Balvenie Doublewood 12 year old, and I had a friend living near Newry up until recently who could get me a bottle for less than €30, while I've never seen it for less than €60 down here. Even with rising fuel prices I'd say popping up north for a few bottles at a time will still save you money.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

Is 70cl the normal size of a bottle in ireland to buy in a super market ?

I got marks and Spencers whiskey a 1 litre bottle for 22 euro. which i thought was a good price for the size of it.

But it was scotch and it wasn't bad but didn't taste great.

Is 70cl the normal size of a bottle in ireland to buy in a super market ?

I got marks and Spencers whiskey a 1 litre bottle for 22 euro. which i thought was a good price for the size of it.

But it was scotch and it wasn't bad but didn't taste great.

Generally it's 70cl, but you can get litre bottles. In the USA, it's 75cl.

• Advertisement

Brockagh wrote: »
    Generally it's 70cl, but you can get litre bottles. In the us, it's 75cl.

Litre bottles are usually only in airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

These are two slightly different questions ...

The best place to buy Irish Whiskey is probably in The Celtic Shop, Dawson St. Dublin 2. As they will have the best selection. Google it for their website.

As mentioned above there are a multitude of on-line sellers in Europe that can offer good value. It is a matter of doing your research and finding those bargains.

As regarding single malts ... The majority of blended Irish whiskeys are a match for most scotches ... But it is all a matter of taste. A Jameson 12yo is as good as a Highland Park 12yo in many aspects but which is your personal favourite can only be down to you.

Start just up from the basic level (I.e. Don't spend too much) and build you taste profile and it is through trial and error that you will be able to say which are the better whiskeys for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭donaghs

Was in Celtic Whiskey store at weekend. Certainly they have the best variety in (the Republic of) Ireland, but wasn't impressed by their prices. Speaking of prices, very annoyingly, over half of the bottles they stocked didnt have price tags beside them so kept having to ask the staff the price (and some didnt match their website prices).

But if you're in Dublin and you want a sherry cask Tyrconnel, or a 15 y-o-Laphroaig, you havent got many other options.

Advertisement