Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there a cheaper alternative to Canon 70-300 F4-5.6 IS USM

• 18-02-2011 11:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,
    So I'm looking to get a nice zoom lens for my D450 and I've been searching boards all morning and most of the threads were from '08.

Anyways a lot of people really recommend this particular lens but its a little pricey for me and I'm thinking of getting a cheaper alternative... if there is one. I've tried looking at the sigma version but it seems the sigma 70-300 with OS (what they call IS) is also about $400.
    The Sigma 70-300 without image stabilization is only about $100.

So my question is this, is the Sigma or even Canon 70-300mm any good without IS?? Seems in all the other threads, boardies are saying IS is a MUST with a zoom lens?

Or is there a cheaper alternative to the Canon 70-300 IS USM?

Just want it for normal everyday close up shots, birds, boats, wildlife, sons football games etc.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

smokie2008 wrote: »
    Hey Guys,
    So I'm looking to get a nice zoom lens for my D450 and I've been searching boards all morning and most of the threads were from '08.

Anyways a lot of people really recommend this particular lens but its a little pricey for me and I'm thinking of getting a cheaper alternative... if there is one. I've tried looking at the sigma version but it seems the sigma 70-300 with OS (what they call IS) is also about $400.
    The Sigma 70-300 without image stabilization is only about $100.

So my question is this, is the Sigma or even Canon 70-300mm any good without IS?? Seems in all the other threads, boardies are saying IS is a MUST with a zoom lens?

Or is there a cheaper alternative to the Canon 70-300 IS USM?

Just want it for normal everyday close up shots, birds, boats, wildlife, sons football games etc.
    Thanks.

I reckon people managed to take perfectly good photographs for about 100 years or so without any form of image stabilisation, so no, it's not a 'must' for a zoom lens. If it's not in your budget then disregard it as an option. Plus, while it'll doubtless help out in low light situations and slow shutter speeds, it won't do you any good taking pictures of fast moving things, you mention your sons' football games for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭b318isp

Although this may not quite answer your question, I'd strongly recommend a secondhand 70-200f4 L lens. The quality is outstanding and it will long outlast the camera. You should be able to pick one up for a little over €400.

if you can't afford it, I'd recommend waiting until you can. Think of it as an investment.

I've never seen a cheap high zoom lens (e.g. >200mm) of any decent quality. I had a Canon 75-300mm lens that came with my first 350D. I took about 50 shots with it and then sold it, it was that bad. A friend had a Tamron lens, I think of up to 400mm focal length, which couldn't produced a decent picture unless there was a load of light and a tripod.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭garden_snapper

As mentioned above if your are shooting sports or fast moving objects the IS is not of any major relevance as you will be using a shutter speed of c640/1.

That's what I have found shooting a lot of sports as a hobby.

There are others in here better placed to give a definitive answer than me :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

Thanks for the Replies.

My sons football match's was just something I'd also be shooting but not the reason I'm buying a new lens.

I was at Dalkey harbour yesterday trying to shoot some birds sitting, a seal eating, some boats, just general stuff, I'm a complete novice, but I was shooting with the stock 18-55mm and I felt it was just useless and thought I really need to get a zoom lens. Only other lens is the nifty fifty.

I really will be using it for general stuff like the Zoo and normal everyday shots, just to take some nice close up shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

To answer your question, yes, there are cheaper alternatives.
    This Sigma lens is an example.

• Advertisement

IS is only really useful if you'll be using relatively slow shutter speeds (you might get camera shake at 1/150th in a 300mm lens?). If you plan to capture football or any other sport where you must 'freeze' the action, then you'll be using a shutter speed that's too fast to allow camera shake to begin with.

The best thing you can do is work out what your most common subject will be, and what you estimate your average shutter speed will be. Keep in mind you'll be stuck at f/5.6 when at 300mm on the lens.

City-Exile wrote: »
    To answer your question, yes, there are cheaper alternatives.
    This Sigma lens is an example.

That looks pretty cool alright and looks very reasonably priced. Has anyone got any example shots from this lens?

I'd be very grateful, thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

That looks pretty cool alright and looks very reasonably priced. Has anyone got any example shots from this lens?

I'd be very grateful, thanks in advance.

http://pix.ie/corkpix/1630411
    http://pix.ie/corkpix/1645034
    http://pix.ie/corkpix/1638189
    http://pix.ie/corkpix/1638188

Canon 500D with Sigma 70-300mm APO. The Sigma is great
    bang for your buck. I wouldn't pay full price for a new one, but
    used ones go for around €100 or sometimes a little more.
    They work well in good light. Not so well for fast action in
    low light and almost useless indoors.

The other choice that comes to mind is the Canon 55-250mm IS. It has
    similar optical and build quality to the 18-55mm IS kit lens.

Thanks for those examples, I've just ordered THIS from Amazon, got it for €160 brand new so pretty cheap.

Is this lens any good for portrait shots? I have the 50mm f1.8 for that but just wondering what its like for shooting portraits?

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Thanks for those examples, I've just ordered THIS from Amazon, got it for €160 brand new so pretty cheap.

That's the one I have.
    Is this lens any good for portrait shots? I have the 50mm f1.8 for that but just wondering what its like for shooting portraits?

Thanks again

It is a reasonably good portrait lens. The 50mm f/1.8 will be much better in
    low light.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

A friend of mine got a Tokina 400mm f/5.6 for about $250 on ebay.
    Now I know nothing about the lens but for this price something has to be amiss with it ?

I think its a 400mm Tokina RMC ?? anyway not sure if it's decent , haven't seen any shots with it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

Hi i have the 55-250mm IS and although it is a cheap build lens, you get a good bang for your buck!!

Is this a better lens than I just bought??
    Seems a big Cheap for a Canon if its the same as the Sigma?

Advertisement