Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a kitten

• 18-02-2011 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

I'm looking for a persian kitten for my fiance. We just moved house and she's missing all the animal company since I work allot . She'd like a persian cat/kitten but she wouldn't mind any other ones.

I didn't know it is so hard to find a kitten, all the sites are full of fakes, asking for money to post the cats.

I'm willing to travel to get the kitten. We now live in Navan, Meath.

Please let us know if you have something.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭juanyjuans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

You could try your local rescues/shelters as sometimes kittens are left in, there's also a rehoming thread here in the forum, so there could be kittens or a young cat that might catch your eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Please consider adopting an adult cat.
    Everyone always gets bowled over by the cuteness of a kitten and as a result, the older cats get overlooked and ignored.
    The poor things. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Count Duckula

Heroditas wrote: »
    Please consider adopting an adult cat.
    Everyone always gets bowled over by the cuteness of a kitten and as a result, the older cats get overlooked and ignored.
    The poor things. :(

I can't stress this enough. Adopt an adult cat - you won't get any less love and charm out of it, and everyone adopts kittens. Adult cats can spend years in shelters waiting to be re-homed.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

I'm looking for a persian kitten for my fiance. We just moved house and she's missing all the animal company since I work allot . She'd like a persian cat/kitten but she wouldn't mind any other ones.

I didn't know it is so hard to find a kitten, all the sites are full of fakes, asking for money to post the cats.

Thank you!

Be very careful, just as there are scams and fakes, there are many unscrupulous breeders out there as well. A friend of mine was onto a breeder last year to get a persian kitten and about a week before she was supposed to collect the kitten, it died. The breeder wouldn't even tell her what it died of and tried to offer her a different kitten instead. As you can imagine, she said no. There are an awful lot of Backyard Breeders in this country.

There are few good persian breeders in Ireland, and as far as i know, none of them have kittens at the moment. I personally know a breeder in Cork but she wont be breeding until the summer.

One thing i will say is do a lot of research first; persians do require quite a bit of maintenance. They need to be brushed once a day to ensure their coat doesn't tangle, and they need to be bathed regularly to keep the coat in good condition. They are prone to kidney problems, breathing problems and heart problems so above all else, ensure that whatever breeder you end up going through has had the parents health checks up to date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Is it actually a purebred persian kitten your looking for or just a longhaired kitten in general? If it's a purebred persian you are looking for then have a look here http://www.gccfi.com/

If your looking for a longhaired kitten keep looking in shelters, they pop up from time to time. Kitten season will be starting soon so if you wait a while there will be loads. http://www.irishanimals.ie/cat_homes.html

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

Also, maybe pop into your local vets, as there are often people they know who are very involved locally in rescuing cats.

I know, here in Shankill, there is a lady who feeds a colony of feral cats. She is also very involved in the TNR (Trap Neuter Release) programme to keep the numbers under control. There are many people like her out there - the unsung heroes of the cat world! She is a mine of information about kittens and cats all over Dublin!

So ask around - there may be a Cat Lady near you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Thank you!

In about 2 months the kitten season will be well underway, that is the time that kittens are born, usually spring to autumn.
    If you can wait (and are looking for a nice fluffy kitten, not just a persian), just call around a few rescues and explain what you are looking for.
    Thats what I did many years ago, my daughter really loved fluffy Ginger cats and I wanted a smokey coloured cat, so when I was getting a cat I called a few places and explained what I wanted, we got two from the same litter we still have that ginger cat (sadly his brother died), they were hand raised and so friendly it was amazing.

I have also adopted an adult cat, I called around again, explained what we were looking for (Kid, dog and cat friendly)he was house trained, neutered and vaccinated. He is great, very loving and tame and fitted in perfectly.

Advertisement