Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Cycle routes

Options
  • 18-02-2011 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations on good cycling routes around Drogheda?

I understand 'good route' is relative to riders ability, but it would be nice to know where the quiet roads are, scenic stretches, some nice climbs, good surface etc, and also what to avoid.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

PS: RideWithGPS.com is awsome for this sort of stuff. Here's a bunch of routes that others have shared around Drogheda.

Link to RideWithGPS.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Nice ride along the coast ie baltray termonfeckin clogherhead port annagassan, castlebellingham,tallanstown,ardee,collon,drogheda approx 70k.

Mind the east wind though it can cut you in half along the coast..

Few groups leaving Drogheda on sunday mornings from quay cycles and saturday from the monument on Mary street 10am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Out around bellewstown stamullen and naul is usually very quiet and nice and hilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

I used to do this route back, its not very long but its scenic and quiet and hilly, down past St. Olivers, past Riverbank, down to the river and left along the road, under the Cable Bridge, out towards the Battle of the Boyne site but take the last left before the Battle of the Boyne site, up a fairly steep hill, then it brings you through Sheephouse and back into Drog. I havent done it in a few years though! Just thinking that you could even head on then towards Donore and back to Drog that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sorna

Out the rampparks and them take a left up the hill and go straight dont take the first turn take da second one bring u around bye top of the motorway its sum gorgeous cycle me and my 13 year don did it before or up mell and out bye Tully brook housing easte is lovely too

• Advertisement

10 year old thread resurrection!! :)

A lot has changed since 2011. Both Garmin and Strava has heat maps that points to all the popular routes.

The ramparts are nice if a bit crowded. Still probably the best facility in town for younger children to cycle around.

Out of town and avoiding the busy main roads, we have miles of beautiful country roads. Most roads around Oldbridge is nice but a bit bit busy. Most other roads outside 5kms of the town is beautiful and usually tranquil.

And avoid N51 (Slane road) at all costs.

I've rode some seriously questionable "roads" during lockdown with the 5km's. I went through a phase of "I wonder whats down this way" or "I haven't been down here in years" and I've had to shoulder the bike a few times or turn back when the road ends with a gate into a field. One such road I stopped to ask a man outside his house washing his car what was down this way "don't go down there on those tyres" :D

Yeah the N51 I'll only ride sections of. One route I do up trinity st and out the old rd to join it before turning left to Oldbridge or right up the hill to Tullyallen.

One I've done a few times is out the Ballymakenny Rd left and back in the R132 and wee the whole way down into town :pac:

The Ramparts as said is great for the kids, I don't like to ride it during the day on my own as I feel it should be left to walkers, runners and kids and riding it responsibly means you're going slowly but I'm not above using it to bypass the hill on Rathmullen rd if my legs aren't up it aka me being super lazy :pac:

Yeah I love the backroads around Townley Hall and beyond towards Mellifont Abbey - some challenging (to me) climbs - in that general area up to Tinure, Collon is all lovely.

The four or five roads connecting beamore-beabeg-colp road and duleek-julianstown-laytown road are my lockdown 5k limit favourites.

Once the lockdown lifts, we are spoilt for choice. Naul, Skerries, Howth, Hill of Tara, Blackrock and beyond to north etc etc.

Advertisement