Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colleges v University?

Options
  • 18-02-2011 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Is there a stigma attached to graduates from Institutes of Technology compared to those from NUI colleges or am I the only one to find this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭ViP3r

Nope, what did you find?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

It depends what area you are in. An employer will look at a range of issues and if you have a first, regardless of where you went it's going to look very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Sibylla wrote: »
    It depends what area you are in. An employer will look at a range of issues and if you have a first, regardless of where you went it's going to look very good.

Statistically speaking, Universities are less liberal when handing out firsts. I don't like the fact, but lets face it, a University degree looks more impressive. I say this despite being in an IT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Naikon wrote: »
    Statistically speaking, Universities are less liberal when handing out firsts. I don't like the fact, but lets face it, a University degree looks more impressive. I say this despite being in an IT.

Yes.......... But is the world not moving that way. IT's are just as great as a uni now days. or at least there being accepted as coming up the ladder and their courses are expanding

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

In some cases in the real world, employers prefer the class of graduates from an IT rather than a university because of the teaching style/practicality of what they learned etc.

Just speaking from experience.

Goes both ways.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

I think there is a snobbery aspect in some professions, perhaps others prefer the way university courses are taught equally some prefer the way .I.T.'s teach, Some courses are only available at .I.T.'s and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Depends on your area.

University have a higher standing in "Business" and "Professional Services".

ITs can be seen as on par with NUIs for the more practical subjects.

Advertisement