Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minecraft Essentials & Tools

• 18-02-2011 2:01pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello folks. If you're here you've no doubt heard of or played the phenomenon that is Minecraft. Jumping into Minecraft online can sometimes be a confusing experience, as some servers have built up to such a point that the areas look like mazes. Here's some essential tools that Minecraft players should have when playing on any server

Increase Game Performance

For PCs that run slow, or have integrated graphics, Optimine renders the maps faster, with little impact on visual effects, giving smoother gameplay experience. Details here

Minecraft Automap

This tool allows real time top down rendering of the world you're currently in. You can zoom in, change visible layers, remove blocks rendered etc, so you can get a good feel of the enviornment around you. Download here, you may also need to install .net framework and xna framework, both also on the website.

Ingame HUD, Better Light & Grass

Instead of having Automap as an external program, this mod allows a minimap on your screen ingame, as well as graphic enchancements. Details here

Redstone Simulator

Anyone working hard on logic gates or lever systems would definitely want this program. A lot easier to work out your designs rather than testing and building ingame. Details here

Minecraft Encyclopedia (Kubik)

This program has the complete list of Minecraft items, requirements to make new items, and global Minecraft chat, as well as a server browser list for registered servers. Essential for all players. Download and details here

Skinedit

For users that are tired of their Minecraft characters, Skinedit allows custom editing of your characters skin. Details here, but most people will probably download their own, such as minecraftskins.

For people experiencing game crashes/fps issues

Its well known that Minecraft is still buggy. Remember this game is just out of Alpha. There are numerous reasons why it crashes and there is numerous fixes.

OpenGL Error
    Update your drivers! For Intel GMA users, download the latest here(select Graphics from the menu, most drivers thereafter have support for nearly all Intel cards). For AMD users, download here, and Nvidia users download here.

Constant Game crashes
    There's numerous fixes for this. Try each one to figure out your issue.

- Uninstall Minecraft and redownload. To do this unhide your folders, go to C:/Users/username/appdata/roaming.minecraft (Vista/7), or C:/Documents and Settings/user/appdata/.minecraft (XP), and delete the bin folder and texture pack folder. Run Minecraft again to redownload everything

- Some Java releases are known to be choppy and crash the game frequently. The most stable release is SDK 6u23 for Minecraft. Select the correct operating system and download.

- Sound can sometimes be an issue too. Update your drivers or test the game with your sound disabled.

I hope the thread has helped you in some way and see you on a server soon!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

sticky! Nice one cherry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Perfect, will be nice to link newbies to this for the ! commands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

Nice one. Quick and to the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 alisdairb

Nice guide thanks for the information :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Jogue

Cheers for this!
    All these programmes I have wondered if they would exist and am proper pleased that they do now! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Mine_N_Stuff

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 ShorterStraws

Did anyone else hear the rumour that Notch was going to shut down minecraft?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Fisheh

nice 1 Cherry :)

i like the minimap idea! i hope i can get it to work now :D Thanks

Does anyone know why my minecraft keeps crashing it is running fine and then it just goes black?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 FloodedAsylum

Thanks man real appreciated :)

try downling the EXE file! the new 1 .. coz they have just updated it :))

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Does anyone know why my minecraft keeps crashing it is running fine and then it just goes black?

Any errors or just plain crashing? Try updating java. If you're on 64 bit, try get a 64 bit Java SDK, should do the trick

cheers I updated java and now it is working fine. Thanks for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Haavar

Thanks alot, i have less lag now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 bigmanjan

thanks for tip dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

MINECRAFT :D
    Stop spamming the forums, or you won't be getting access to the server

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Orichalcum93

Thanks so much for Optimine recommendation! It's class and makes it run so smoothly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ADGOBE

cool info might make my own skin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Beatalls

great tools, thank you very much;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 ITDemo

Thanks for this man!
    Helpful! :D

Advertisement