Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE channels on a sky box in UK

• 18-02-2011 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I am a sky subscriber in the UK and would love to have the RTE channels. I have heard that I could get another sky subscription using an Irish address but would this mean I would have to pay that and my own sky subscription monthly. does anyone know the best way to paying for just one sky subscription but to have the RTE channels

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭alfreg

The best way to do it is to cancel your UK subscription, then get a new subscription at your Irish address. When you phone to get the Irish one (with your number blocked, if calling from the UK), tell sky you already have a dish and a box, then you will only get a card sent to your Irish address. As of payment just use your UK credit card. I have been paying my Irish subscription with a UK credit card for the past seven years, with no problem al all. Also before you put your Irish card your box in the UK disconnect it from the phone line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 damienn

Thanks for reply. if I do cancel my UK subscription, will I still be able to get signal on my sky box even with the Irish card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

yes.
    you will loose bbc1 hd, all the itv channels ,ch5 from the epg.

you can add them manually to other channels though ,(no recording on other channels )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

alfreg, did you bring a box over from ireland too? i tried just the card first but it didn't work. the box wasn't connected to the phone line so ended up bringing over the irish box and it worked grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭alfreg

All sky boxes are the same there’s no such thing as an Irish or UK box, there all the same. I started off seven years ago with a second hand standard sky box that I got off a friend in London that had a UK subscription it work fine when I put my Irish card in it. Later I upgraded to a second hand Sky plus box and now I have a second hand sky HD box both started off with UK subscriptions and both worked no problem with my Irish card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

that's what i thought, just couldn't figure out why the irish card didn't work in the uk box. didn't want to ring them and ask about it though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

Depending on your subscription you may need the card to be paired with the box. Have you got Sports, Movies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You could Move to N.I. Adds RTE1, RTE2, TG4 to EPG but all else stays the same. It's amazing how many people in London have moved to Belfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

watty wrote: »
    You could Move to N.I. Adds RTE1, RTE2, TG4 to EPG but all else stays the same. It's amazing how many people in London have moved to Belfast.
    That's odd. I got myself a FTA card using a Northern Ireland address, but when you go to the RTE channels on the EPG, all I get is ''This is the wrong card for this box''.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

That's because RTE are a sub channel so will not work on a FTV card purchased for a Northern Ireland address, you need a subscription to view them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

RTE, TG4 and TV3 are sub only channels on Sky in Ireland too. So why would they be free in N.I.? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

watty wrote: »
    RTE, TG4 and TV3 are sub only channels on Sky in Ireland too. So why would they be free in N.I.? :confused:
    Booo!

Advertisement