Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pickpockets/Junkies outside Marks&Spencer on Liffey Street

Options
  • 18-02-2011 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭

Watch out for pickpockets outside M&S on the Liffey Street side,scumbag had his hand in my pocket yesterday,the people collecting for Concern were there too so I was distracted,I am lucky he didn't get anything but the next person may not be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

[DELETED]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

What should we look for?

Was it a regular scummer, traveller or gypsy?
    Also, what age and sex?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Junkie Couple with a pram,it happened outside the Milkshake Bar facing M&S after 4pm yesterday,seems to be a major problem in the area near Jervis Luas stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

God damn undercover wallet inspectors

Shut up... Makikomi.

Reason above as to why I didn't post in After Hours. Just be on the look out as they or those like them are everywhere now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

It's a pain in the ass, but when this kind of thing happens you should be reporting it.

No, nothing will be done about the individual case, but a few businesses in the area have been asking the Dublin BID to look into hiring something akin to store detectives for the streets. If the statistics were fully representative, then maybe something would be done about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Mad to be anywhere around town and not be watching your wallet and phone like a hawk anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

Nevore wrote: »
    a few businesses in the area have been asking the Dublin BID to look into hiring something akin to store detectives for the streets.

How would that work? I've often seen store detectives watching from shop doorways and warning other store detectives by mobile or walkie talkie that known shoplifters were about. But they wouldn't have any powers to intervene on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

How would that work? I've often seen store detectives watching from shop doorways and warning other store detectives by mobile or walkie talkie that known shoplifters were about. But they wouldn't have any powers to intervene on the street.
    Material witnesses when it came to court. Most pickpockets and bag snatchers to a lesser extent are hard to prosecute because even if caught, they've handed off the goods to another person. The victims testimony is obviously biased, even if they actually even notice it happening, ditto for the victims companions. Having an uninvolved witness would be a boon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

but a few businesses in the area have been asking the Dublin BID to look into hiring something akin to store detectives for the streets.

I don't know what they are going to do? Citizens arrest?

I was stopped by store security once, told him to get out of the way or call the gaurds. He stepped out of the way. They'll have no power. If the stores are serious why not just pay to have a gaurd there full time, like the embassies :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Almost lost my wallet and phone to a pickpocket at the Jervis Luas stop yesterday evening,luckily I felt his hand in my jacket pocket,Irish junkie looking guy in his 20's wearing a blue and white tracksuit top,manky thing was his hands were covered in blood!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

I was less lucky than you were...

My wallet got lifted out of my backpack Thursday evening on the ha'penny bridge. Only 20 quid in the wallet... but replacing my cards and wallet will set me back about 85 quid :(

fúcker :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Lads, this is NOT AH.. Some posts removed, one edited.. Don't act the sack please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Basically watch your personal items/bags/wallets etc. at all times when you're in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I always do it this way. Should I ever go near any City Centre, I put on my oldest tracksuit, that worked until now. Them pickpockets might think, I have no money, mobile or any other valuable item on me and leave me alone :D

It's a pain in the ass, but when this kind of thing happens you should be reporting it.

No, nothing will be done about the individual case, but a few businesses in the area have been asking the Dublin BID to look into hiring something akin to store detectives for the streets. If the statistics were fully representative, then maybe something would be done about it.
    Almost lost my wallet and phone to a pickpocket at the Jervis Luas stop yesterday evening,luckily I felt his hand in my jacket pocket,Irish junkie looking guy in his 20's wearing a blue and white tracksuit top,manky thing was his hands were covered in blood!
    nosietoes wrote: »
    I was less lucky than you were...

My wallet got lifted out of my backpack Thursday evening on the ha'penny bridge. Only 20 quid in the wallet... but replacing my cards and wallet will set me back about 85 quid :(

fúcker :mad:

I did report it,after I walked away from the junkie,I met two guards on Abbey Street,one went after the couple and the other took my details and reported the incident over the radio asking HQ to point the camera on Jervis Luas stop where the two had gone to at this point,she was informed the cameras were down.The whole area there is a bad spot at the moment so watch out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

I like to turn the tables and pickpocket the pickpockets. Have garnered some interesting mementoes as a result

Advertisement