Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Haughey

Options
  • 18-02-2011 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

who is this guy? I know he is CJ's son but you rarely hear from him.Indeed, you rarely hear from any Dublin candiadates.

has he done much for his constituents.

PS please keep swearwords and what you'd love to do to FF for another thread. i want info on the Dublin candidates here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Maybe a general Dublin General Election thread? Not sure if the mods would be arsed trying to keep a lid on it mind you.

But as you said you don't usually hear from candidates, hence the way I base my vote is for candidates who actually do work in my area and not some morons who just come out of the woodwork when elections come around.

So Catherine Byrne, Michael Mulcahy and Henry Upton (only because his aunt is Mary and she was great four our area).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Met him around when I lived in Artane.
    Nice man, seems be very quiet and retiring which aren't realy skills for a politician.
    Nothing at all like his father.

But being nice isn't nearly enough to get votes

Works well in the constituency but nothing outstanding.
    He's not realy somebody who stands out or gets a profile for himself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

A question about young Haughey and this is not bashing or anything.

Is he a burns victim or does he have some sort of medical condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I'm not from your part of town OP,but travel widely all over Dublin. Can't remember even seeing a poster of Haughey anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Dancor wrote: »
    A question about young Haughey and this is not bashing or anything.

Is he a burns victim or does he have some sort of medical condition?

Are you referring to his cleft palate?

By all accounts, he's a decent auld skin, fairly unassuming and quiet, probably from having lived in his father's shadow for so long. He's standing where I live and I've thrown him a 3rd preference in the past, mainly to keep Callely out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

I've met him a number of times around Artane, he's a nice guy but fairly quite. I know he works hard around the constituency you see him mentioned in the Northside News a fair bit (its a great jax read!), he never struck me as the kind of bloke to blow his own trumpet, must take after the ma on that one, cos it sure wasn't his da's style!

Here's his profile if its any help http://www.seanhaughey.com/content.php4?id=3&default=Y

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'd be a long way from a Fianna Fáil supporter, but I agree Seán Haughey is a decent sort and a good constituency man. Nothing like his father. Not a natural (in the style of FF natural) politician though - doesn't seem to enjoy the limelight, but works away in the background.

From another family name and another party, who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

I dont think he puts himself forward that much on a national level. I heard him a few times on radio and when there was mention of CJ he didnt really want to talk about him. He could be very concious of the rep his dad had and what he got up and he doesnt want to be associated with any thing that could be dodgy.

I think the moustache and hair do he has in his election posters make him look like a certain austrian chap who lived in Germany in the 30s and early 40s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Do you really want to vote in another guy who's in politics because of his family?

Nolanger wrote: »
    Do you really want to vote in another guy who's in politics because of his family?

I think to be fair he's in politics because he wants to be, anyway it is to be expected that some of the kids from a political family would follow into politics, like many kids follow their parents in their jobs.

He could also sell the grandson of Sean Lemass but he's doesn't do that either in the press

The problem isn't that kids follow their parents into politics, its that people vote for them because of it. Vote on each candidate based on their own performance.

• Advertisement

Nolanger wrote: »

He doesn't rely on the Haughey name (maybe a liability) or the Lemass name though.

He is the very opposite of his father, extremely quiet and unassuming and does his best work in the background.
    Edit, which is more that can be said for the flash and headline grabbing Ivor Callely also from Dublin North Central

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I would never vote for someone who does not live in the constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Dub13 wrote: »
    I would never vote for someone who does not live in the constituency.

He lives approximately 5mins from the constituency. I believe it's mainly to do with that his wife runs a crèche from there house. Very nice man, works away in
    the back round never looking for praise.

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    He lives approximately 5mins from the constituency. I believe it's mainly to do with that his wife runs a crèche from there house. Very nice man, works away in
    the back round never looking for praise.

I think you will find its mainly to do with the fact that his father gave him a chunk of land.

I think you will find its mainly to do with the fact that his father gave him a chunk of land.

A chunk implies that it's a large site which it isn't.

A chunk implies that it's a large site which it isn't.

My point still stands,you should IMO be living in the constituency.

My point still stands,you should IMO be living in the constituency.

Where practicle, I think they should as well. Infairness though dies circa 1.5miles make a big difference?

It's not like he's a Kerry politician living in Cork or a Clare politician living in Tipperary. I could give many more examples.

There are lots of constituencies in Dublin, living just outside your area isn't an issue. And a few posters including myself gave examples on how he is often seen around the area in Artane and other areas.
    He is active and a good constituency worker, just a lot of this is done in the background so never picked up on in the media

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Paddyontherun

I think this is his brothers house you are referring to.

Where practicle, I think they should as well. Infairness though dies circa 1.5miles make a big difference?

Its not really the distance more the fact that its a big stand alone house and 99% of the Dublin north central area is housing estates.He would be more suited to running in North Dublin but (and this is another issue that gets me) he took over his fathers political base in the area.
    I think this is his brothers house you are referring to.

I am sure I know the house,unless his brother also runs a crèche.

• Advertisement

Its not really the distance more the fact that its a big stand alone house and 99% of the Dublin north central area is housing estates.He would be more suited to running in North Dublin but (and this is another issue that gets me) he took over his fathers political base in the area.

I have no idea what kind of house you live in has to do with how good or bad a representative you are, thats ridiculous. Like I said before, the issue isn't when a political family member runs in the same electoral area, its up to the electorate to vote them in not their family. I can't imagine being CJ's son is a big selling point do you!

I grew up in Donnycarney which was CJ's base/heartland and I can assure you when Sean was first elected been his son would have been a huge help.Maybe not so much now but then again he is struggling to get re elected this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

I know the house your on about,it's the left turn towards swords off the malahide road?

I remember years ago that road was resurfaced from the malahide road only as far as the house :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

Doesn't matter now- he has no constituency anymore

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Doesn't matter now- he has no constituency anymore

Good riddance to him.

Advertisement