Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LogMeIn Blocked in work, I need an alternative

Options
  • 18-02-2011 3:42pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I love LogMeIn but it has recently been blocked in work. Tried everything but they have it locked up tight. I need to find something similar for remote desktop. I was recommended TeamViewer but unfortunately they have blocked that too. Can anyone recommend something that does the same thing well – that is free which I could use?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Zascar wrote: »
    I love LogMeIn but it has recently been blocked in work. Tried everything but they have it locked up tight. I need to find something similar for remote desktop. I was recommended TeamViewer but unfortunately they have blocked that too. Can anyone recommend something that does the same thing well – that is free which I could use?

Thanks

They probably rolled out a full block on remote access software so its possible all the alternatives (most) that are free will be blocked, VPN connection is also more than likely blocked, gotomypc is another I can think of off hand, although its not free, there are others but if its a websense type system they have going more than likely all will be blocked, those proxies work like anti virus scanners I think constantly updating the definitions

Nick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭murphyaii

we use a load of different types of remote software here in our company.

you could use vncviewer, checkpoint vpn, go to assist.

thing is it depends on the rules the guys in the firewall dept have setup on your company firewall.

if you need a remote application to connect to say a client,
    you need to discuss this with your IT as an essential application needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Thanks

Pocketcloud on your phone?

EDIT: I assume it's to access your PC at home from work, and not the other way?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

yoyo wrote: »
    They probably rolled out a full block on remote access software so its possible all the alternatives (most) that are free will be blocked, VPN connection is also more than likely blocked, gotomypc is another I can think of off hand, although its not free, there are others but if its a websense type system they have going more than likely all will be blocked, those proxies work like anti virus scanners I think constantly updating the definitions

Nick

Its possible but I don't think so. My company actually has a very relaxed policy on web usage, there are very few sites blocked. I cannot get on to www.logmein.com or www.teamviewer.com but a search for other remote access software I can get on those sites fine. I’m just not sure which ones are any good so thought I’d ask the experts here! So which ones are worth a try??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Really I only want it for controlling my home pc from work. So unlikely my IT guys will allow me access. I have logmein on my phone but its hardly ideal with a small screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Pocketcloud is much easier to use IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Really I only want it for controlling my home pc from work. So unlikely my IT guys will allow me access. I have logmein on my phone but its hardly ideal with a small screen.

Is it an Android phone? If so, you could just enable the portable wifi hotspot feature and connect your laptop to it and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It does represent a security issue, either way if you want this you should talk to the IT department. Directly or indirectly circumventing corporate security could land you in trouble, refer to your policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

...I thought TeamViewer uses http port 80???

don't see why it should not work, unless they've blocked your home ip:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

CSU wrote: »
    ...I thought TeamViewer uses http port 80??? don't see why it should not work, unless they've blocked your home ip:confused:

I would have thought that you could just get VNC or Remote Desktop and change the ports to a port that is allowed by your router... Unless there is some clever content filter that inspects the packets to see what the type of traffic is?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Check your companies IT policy. If HR are clued up then your contract would say that any abuse of IT systems would be a disciplinary issue.

Things like webmail and connections home that can copy files mean you are bypassing their firewalls not to mention that you should be working.

Seriously if they have just blocked stuff take that as a hint, because now you can no longer say that you didn't know.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Can you even ssh to your PC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

are you that indian guy that keep's scamming pc noobs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Its possible but I don't think so. My company actually has a very relaxed policy on web usage, there are very few sites blocked. I cannot get on to www.logmein.com or www.teamviewer.com but a search for other remote access software I can get on those sites fine. I’m just not sure which ones are any good so thought I’d ask the experts here! So which ones are worth a try??

Accessing www.teamviewer.com is not required to use teamviewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Overheal wrote: »
    It does represent a security issue, either way if you want this you should talk to the IT department. Directly or indirectly circumventing corporate security could land you in trouble, refer to your policies.
    Agreed. If it's blocked, it's most likely banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

even if inadvertently blocked, cracking corporate security measures is not a good idea. typically grounds for gross misconduct and immediate dismissal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Try using GoSupportNow remote support tool. It is easy to use and complies with existing firewall settings, without compromising security.

I think after 3 years that this is solved..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement