Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FINALLY.....THE ROCK HAS COME BACK........

Options
  • 15-02-2011 3:01pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭

okay yes the title will change in a few days to show the persons name but just for now considering spoilers and all it stays like this.

okay i know this could have gone in the Mania thread but speculation regarding this one will be huge imo and it/he deserves his own thread.

things like the below are def interesting, I really wonder in what way it was meant.

Rock said he is 'never going to leave' and that he is 'quite simply, back'

as is the talk of him vs Cena, something i dont think we will get at Mania, though i wouldnt be surprised seing as he also mentioned The Miz in his promo (the best WWE promo in so long long time) if he made himself guest ref or enforcer for their main event match at Mania (assuming that happens)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

What i said on the raw thread:
    CMpunked wrote: »
    Maybe it means that when he isnt doing movies he will be popping about every now and again.
    Ala Stone cold. Not always an active member of the roster, but around a helluva lot more than rocky.
    And maybe even to a more recent extent, Shawn.

Thats the way im taking it up. That before he walked away, never made any references, never spoke about wrestling and all that.
    But now he will never walk away the same way as he did before. Maybe even bringing back the rock nickname for his movies and that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,255 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

next year's WM is in Miami.

this year could trigger a Cena heel turn.

next year, Rock comes back to kick his candy ass in his hometown.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Honestly I regressed 10 years in an instant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

I called it!!!!:cool::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,170 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

My jaw dropped when he said he's back and not going away, or words to that effect.
    Anyway, last night was brilliant. Can't wait for the Rock/Cena showdown :D.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

mayordenis wrote: »
    Honestly I regressed 10 years in an instant.

same here, was giggling to myself like a lil schoolgirl when he said "some of you know where im going with this" for example.

as Ron Simmons would say DAMN! that was one hell of a promo. I used to say years ago 5mins of Foley on the mic was better than 30mins of a normal Raw but now its 1 Rock promo is better than a full show. He hit every note from taking Cena, Cole & The Miz down a peg or several to using each and every one of his catchphrases despite modern censors and PG.

I'm a mod of a PW board so obviously if anyone should be smarky and know better but as he talked about being back and never going away again I was marked out and blocked out the rational side of my brain, I was just wanting his promos to never end and wishing against logic about how he would have a whole new roster of feuds ahead of him etc...

Think his promo should put that entire roster on notice to and straight up point out that they could be so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,422 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

SlickRic wrote: »
    next year's WM is in Miami.

this year could trigger a Cena heel turn.

next year, Rock comes back to kick his candy ass in his hometown.

I think he will be going into the HOF next year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Rock/Cena next year would be epic. Rock/Cena this year would be epic! The main part is convincing Rock to do a wrestling match!

As happy as i am to see him (he's my favourite wrestler) i badly want him to have a match! Maybe next year...maybe next year.

That line about "I'm never going away" is such bullcrap though! I'm like a mistreated ex-girlfriend that wants him back! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I haven't even seen the promo. I was told about it this morning. I thought about trying to avoid all details to keep it as un-spoiled as possible but then I figured that I re-watch old Rocky promos which i've seen dozens of times all the time so I kight as well revel in reading about what happened and what people are thinking about it instead.

I don't think people should get their hopes up about a Rocky match itself. I think insurance issues would put paid to that even if he was keen to get back into the ring. That said, I note from imdb that his list of up-coming films is currently shorter than I've seen it in years.
    I'm a mod of a PW board so obviously if anyone should be smarky and know better but as he talked about being back and never going away again I was marked out and blocked out the rational side of my brain, I was just wanting his promos to never end and wishing against logic about how he would have a whole new roster of feuds ahead of him etc...

Who isn't the mod of a wrestling board? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i think he will wrestle again. why would he not want to ? after hearing that pop last night i know the rock will love to whip on the trunks again at mania and whoop some ass. just one more rock bottom and peoples elbow and the world will be a better place :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I can see Rock being an enforcer in the match and counting the 1,2,3 as Cena wins the title. Cue me getting sick in the nearest bucket as they have a pose off underneath fireworks.

It would be truly fantastic if something were to happen and The Rock led to a change in the Cena booking, but I'd be truly amazed. Much more likely that it would be next year were he to ever wrestle again, but I don't think he will wrestle again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

why wouldnt he wrestle again?

Him being away from wrestling for the last 7 years should give you a clue! Dude distanced himself from wrestling as much as he could so he could be taken seriously as an actor and not "Mr. Nanny Part II". He did what's 'right' for his acting career and the ignorant condescending snobs in Hollywood.

He could wrestle again but I imagine he wouldn't want to risk undoing all the 'work' he's put into establishing himself as a mainstream actor and not 'that wrestling guy'.

On the same point, Austin could wrestle if he wanted to aswell, he just chooses not to. Any B.S. about his neck could easily be worked around with well-scripted matches.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Him being away from wrestling for the last 7 years should give you a clue! Dude distanced himself from wrestling as much as he could so he could be taken seriously as an actor and not "Mr. Nanny Part II". He did what's 'right' for his acting career and the ignorant condescending snobs in Hollywood.

He could wrestle again but I imagine he wouldn't want to risk undoing all the 'work' he's put into establishing himself as a mainstream actor and not 'that wrestling guy'.

On the same point, Austin could wrestle if he wanted to aswell, he just chooses not to. Any B.S. about his neck could easily be worked around with well-scripted matches.

the fact that he was away 7 years doesnt mean he wont wrestle again...the fact that hes back in wwe and doing promos etc...means any work hes done establishing himself as a major hollywood actor has been put at risk now neway..whether he wrestles or not...and i dont see how a match would change that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I think he won't wrestle because he doesn't want to and has said so numerous times. That it has taken so so long to make an appearance on Raw backs that up. His movie career is not exactly on fire at the minute so he probably feels he can do with a little extra publicity whilst having some fun in promos/Rock Bottom a few people.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,422 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He looked in great shape but to be fair he always did :p

I see him somehow in the closing segement of WM this year maybe raising Cena's hand as the new WWE champion and even taking out Riley so he cant interfere

the fact that he was away 7 years doesnt mean he wont wrestle again...the fact that hes back in wwe and doing promos etc...means any work hes done establishing himself as a major hollywood actor has been put at risk now neway..whether he wrestles or not...and i dont see how a match would change that.

Well I hope you're right. Maybe he feels he's established himself in hollywood as his own actor that doing wrestling won't affect him.

It's like how WWE (after doing a 180 on Aronofsky's The Wrestler) wanted Jericho and Mickey Rourke to wrestle at Mania; Rourke's publicist/agent/whoever told him that actually wrestling would damages his chances at an OSCAR with the snobs and so he pulled out and opted for an appearance + quick scuffle. I don't expect anything more from Rock.

A small point, but The Rock's new t-shirt ("I bring it") has "Dwayne Johnson The Rock" on the back :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Listening to Bryan Alvarez and Dave Meltzer today, they mentioned something about how rock and vinces relationship ended badly when he left and they only made up in 2009, what happened?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Because he stated only a month ago categorically that he would never wrestle again as he has achieved all he wants to do in the ring?

Nody wrote: »
    Because he stated only a month ago categorically that he would never wrestle again as he has achieved all he wants to do in the ring?

and wrestlers Never go back on their word :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 WHYTEHD

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    He looked in great shape but to be fair he always did :p

I see him somehow in the closing segement of WM this year maybe raising Cena's hand as the new WWE champion and even taking out Riley so he cant interfere

hope he rock bottoms Cena at the end!

D.Q wrote: »
    Listening to Bryan Alvarez and Dave Meltzer today, they mentioned something about how rock and vinces relationship ended badly when he left and they only made up in 2009, what happened?

I imagine the bust-up was over Rock leaving WWE to do films (and not do WWE films). On a different point, he wasn't thrilled about the bullsh!t politiks that Triple H & Co were doing in the early 2000s. There's also a reason Rock never (wanted to) work with HBK! (Stemming from bad blood from HBK sabotaging his early career/being an arse etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I imagine the bust-up was over Rock leaving WWE to do films (and not do WWE films). On a different point, he wasn't thrilled about the bullsh!t politiks that Triple H & Co were doing in the early 2000s. There's also a reason Rock never (wanted to) work with HBK! (Stemming from bad blood from HBK sabotaging his early career/being an arse etc)

Rock was also bitter that HBK had gone on record to say that Austin & Trips were the only champions that the WWF had had since he retired who were worthy of the name.

On why Rock won't wrestle, it'll be for the same reason why you won't see him abseilling any time soon. He's locked into multimillion dollar contracts for two movies and would never get the insurance to wrestle even the odd match.

Thanks for the info!
    Beefy78 wrote: »
    Rock's locked into multimillion dollar contracts for two movies and would never get the insurance to wrestle even the odd match.

It's true, but he's been using that excuse for well, 7 years now :)

Also "I didn't come back to promote a movie" but Too Fast Too Furious 5 comes out next month :eek::p well it wasn't the biggest lie Rock told that night!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Also "I didn't come back to promote a movie" but Too Fast Too Furious 5 comes out next month :eek::p well it wasn't the biggest lie Rock told that night!

Did he mention it once in the promo? Do you see an ad for it on wwe.com?
    ;)

CMpunked wrote: »
    Did he mention it once in the promo? Do you see an ad for it on wwe.com? ;)

It's out April 29, we'll revisit this on the April 25th RAW :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

if he isnt back to wrestle then why is he back???

what will he be back doing??

he said he is going nowhere ever again meaning he is staying with wwe which means that he will be around for along time yet so what will his role be???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

He won't be wrestling lads. Not a hope. I'm quite happy with that too, he's at his best on the mic. He was never that great in-ring to start with, he'd be cat after 7 years out of the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I cant' stop watching his return promo from Raw this week. It was epic, i almost became 11 years old again and marked the f*ck out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

i feel like a kid again

Advertisement