Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FINALLY.....THE ROCK HAS COME BACK........

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭rude awakening

Does it really matter why hes back?.............. As long as he is!!!
    I believe dedicated wrestling fans know that all he will ever do and all he was ever going to do after Mania XX was make appearances.

Yea sure we'd all hope for one more match. . . . Someday (If it ever happens)
    But just accept that right now hes going to be doin promos, hittin Rock Bottoms etc and forget abt how long he;'s goin to be here, or when hes leaving again....... just enjoy a flashback to the Attitude era:D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,348 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I have a feeling he is just going to rock bottom Superstars such as Alberto Del Rio, The Miz, Dolph Ziggler and Sheamus at wrestlemania. I wonder will there be a confertation between him and John Cena even better if there was a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Ok not to be childish now but "WHYYY CANT HE COME BACK AND WRESTLE AGAIN?":( :(
    Come on Rocky you did your movies now come back to your fans and back in that ring once again.You know that is where your heart is!Money is not an issue wwe im sure have millions for you!One day The Rock will be WWE Heavyweight Champion for the 8th time:D.Oh how we dream....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Icky Thump wrote: »
    if he isnt back to wrestle then why is he back???

what will he be back doing??

he said he is going nowhere ever again meaning he is staying with wwe which means that he will be around for along time yet so what will his role be???

Promos, skits and probably an Enforcer type role throughout the night. Similar to how they used Mike Tyson as an enforcer at WM14. I imagine he'll raise Cena's arm and count the 1,2,3. Might even get a cheap pop by announcing Jim Ross to commentate on the main events after some Cole/King related shenanigans.

He didn't mean that he will literally go nowhere, it was just a poorly written line meaning he will always be a part of the WWE Universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Right lads anyone know of anywhere you could pick up this Rock Tshirt:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxbxwXvGTV1a1Ohk6es3NcxqSMVssuXny6ioz2Qt0PJBuYSrH5&t=1

wwe shop dont do it, and wrestling mania claim the best place to look is online, but the only ones i have seen look horrenously fake!

thought this would be the thread to ask!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

Ok not to be childish now but "WHYYY CANT HE COME BACK AND WRESTLE AGAIN?":( :(
    Come on Rocky you did your movies now come back to your fans and back in that ring once again.You know that is where your heart is!Money is not an issue wwe im sure have millions for you!One day The Rock will be WWE Heavyweight Champion for the 8th time:D.Oh how we dream....

Insurance reasons being tied to movie studios and his bad Achilles tendon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Is he filming at the moment for upcoming movies?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Is he filming at the moment for upcoming movies?

He is juggling with three movies.

Fast Five has finished filming, but he is probably expected to do a ton of promotion. Journey 2: The Mysterious Island is in filming, and Arabian Nights is in production.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0425005/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I wanna pitch in about the Rock "burying" Miz and Cena. Those two guys (and Punk) get the most promo time of everyone on RAW. If anyone has a chance at holding themselves against the Rock, it's those two. They can take it.

It's much more different than a few years ago, Triple H telling Shelton Benjamin that "this is promo time" and he's gonna beat him clean, and does, end of story.

Another point, it's more of an honour to be recognised as the big dogs in the WWE to be called out by one of the biggest superstars in wrestling history.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭✭cena

i just hope if and thats a big if that if the rock is back for good that he doesn't come too ireland on the tour. well be so mad if he does as i'v no ticket for it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

best promo and biggest pop for 7 years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Right lads anyone know of anywhere you could pick up this Rock Tshirt:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxbxwXvGTV1a1Ohk6es3NcxqSMVssuXny6ioz2Qt0PJBuYSrH5&t=1

wwe shop dont do it, and wrestling mania claim the best place to look is online, but the only ones i have seen look horrenously fake!

thought this would be the thread to ask!

http://www.extremewrestlingshirts.com/servlet/the-30166/The-ROCK-Blue-Bull/Detail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I don't get why he's come back, I don't think he'll wrestle either but on the other hand, just being on WWE TV has the same effect as if were going to wrestle. I'd argue merely turning up on WWE TV would have the same effect on his career as actually wrestling would (in terms of "damaging" his cred in Hollywood). I mean he hasn't turned up for 7 years and one must assume it was to protect his cred in Hollywood, so what has changed?

does he have a flim that came out called faster. Did it come out over here.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I don't get why he's come back, I don't think he'll wrestle either but on the other hand, just being on WWE TV has the same effect as if were going to wrestle. I'd argue merely turning up on WWE TV would have the same effect on his career as actually wrestling would (in terms of "damaging" his cred in Hollywood). I mean he hasn't turned up for 7 years and one must assume it was to protect his cred in Hollywood, so what has changed?

His movies generally bomb (unless he is a minor part in a bigger movie), so he needs publicity. I couldn't imagine him being there if he had a few big hits in the last few years.

cena wrote: »
    does he have a flim that came out called faster. Did it come out over here.

Faster came out in November in America, it's out here next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

His movies generally bomb (unless he is a minor part in a bigger movie), so he needs publicity. I couldn't imagine him being there if he had a few big hits in the last few years.

His kids films (Game Plan,Escape from With Mountain) are really successful.Actually besides Doom I cant think of a bomb he was in (and that was successful enough financial wise)

His kids films (Game Plan,Escape from With Mountain) are really successful.Actually besides Doom I cant think of a bomb he was in (and that was successful enough financial wise)

Bomb is maybe not a great word to use, but he is hardly setting the world on fire. I presume you mean Race to Witch Mountain, which had a budget of $65m and grossed $67,128,202 in the US and £2,545,316 in the UK. Not exactly blockbuster stuff. That is pretty common for his films, they generally get poor-to-average reviews and receive Box Office receipts which reflect that. His career average gross is $74,514,435, nothing too spectacular. His last big movie sold on his name is The Tooth Fairy and it got pretty poor reviews. He needs a kickstart in his career.

The Game Plan was a decent success, but not much more than that. Plus that was 2007, he hasn't built on that. He is becoming a supporting actor or a cameo actor in bigger movies as is shown in The Other Guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

I selfishly hope his movie career crashes and burns while he's still young enough...

D.Q wrote: »
    I selfishly hope his movie career crashes and burns while he's still young enough...

Actor's are all ages, he can always go back to it in the future.

He could still have another decent 8-10 years as a pro-wrestler now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

hopefully he hangs around long enough to face Taker at Mania next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Eaton_Gaming

Hey Guys .. Just have to get this off my chest .. 3Weeks ago i was watching WWE Raw and the comeback of The Rock!! I was very happy and was glad to see him host wrestlemania27 However he mocked John Cena and The Miz.Mostly John Cena..When he mocked john cena the whole wwe area turned away from cena and into the rock...The rock left wwe 7years ago to make a acting career for 7 years he did not want to be known as the rock he wanted to be knowing as Dwanye Johnston.However his acting career FAILED miserably as he lowered himslef to kids movies. He has finally come back to WWE and everybody love him WHY i ask.. Cena loves the wwe more than anything in the world and turned down an acting career because he didnt want to leave wwe and the wwe fans I just think The Rock's comeback will not last and he will leave the wwe when another big part in the acting career comes his way...What do ye guys think of all this and why? thanks for your time.hope it all made sense :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

However his acting career FAILED miserably as he lowered himslef to kids movies.

I disagree heavily with this. He didnt lower himself at all his association with Disney is one of the more plum positions in Hollywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

A failed actor? I think box office says something very different.

The Rock isn't Sean Penn, but he has had a great acting career so far. Heck he stole the spotlight in Be Cool and Get Smart. He has made alot of money from the movies, alot more than John Cena. And I don't see how he "lowered" himself to doing kids movies, alot of big names have made childrens films. Raúl Juilá said his favourite role was Gomez Adams simply because it made children smile. Yet he was still seen as a well respected actor by his peers.

Why are we excited? Because it's The Great One! The Rock has that certain something that is missing in wrestling today, and it shows! All it took was a promo and he stole what was already a really good episode of Raw! And if he wants to leave after 'Mania then fine, why should he risk his health for a very thankless job? But him coming back, for however long it is, should serve as a wake up call to everyone in the WWE to what they are missing and what they need to become a household name on the same level as The Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭The Bull

Hey Guys .. Just have to get this off my chest .. 3Weeks ago i was watching WWE Raw and the comeback of The Rock!! I was very happy and was glad to see him host wrestlemania27 However he mocked John Cena and The Miz.Mostly John Cena..When he mocked john cena the whole wwe area turned away from cena and into the rock...The rock left wwe 7years ago to make a acting career for 7 years he did not want to be known as the rock he wanted to be knowing as Dwanye Johnston.However his acting career FAILED miserably as he lowered himslef to kids movies. He has finally come back to WWE and everybody love him WHY i ask.. Cena loves the wwe more than anything in the world and turned down an acting career because he didnt want to leave wwe and the wwe fans I just think The Rock's comeback will not last and he will leave the wwe when another big part in the acting career comes his way...What do ye guys think of all this and why? thanks for your time.hope it all made sense :L

The Rock has a good acting gig going and has plenty of films in production such as Journey 2: The Mysterious Island, Fast Five and Arabian Nights where he is to play Sinbad. He is far from being a failed actor. I dont see your point that he has lowered himself to Kids films, He's being in a few Disney Films and you dont get a much bigger studio than Disney. Having said that if the pay is good and he enjoys it why not.
    Im going to go out on a limb here and guess your younger in years that some of us here and maybe subject to the whole Cena Superman Crap that has been served up for years. You may not have an appreciation for the whole attitude era as some of the rest of us have. In his time in the WWE The Rock was one of the greatest elements of the WWE in the Late 90's and early 2000's. The Rock is only going to be around till WM and after that he will be back at his acting job. Its suits both parties to further both there own agendas. As for Cena he is loyal to the WWE at the minute but dont be fooled if the right offer came in he would be gone out the door as well. Cena is a fairly clued in chap and i dont see him want to end up like Hogan and Flair with there bodys destroyed and possiblly ending up not been able to walk in later life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

The difference in the promos between John Cena and The Rock this week should be an indictator of why a lot of fans love The Rock more!

Drayme is right; Rock has a very successful career in Hollywood (which is why he left for 7 years) and has made 10s of millions of dollars without Vince McMahon. Sure Rock is leaving post-Mania to go push Fast 5; which he stars alongside Vin Diesel. Cena couldn't make it in Hollywood even if that were an option. He's a great guy but he's not anywhere near as charismatic and talented.

The WWE are smartly playing off Rock and Cena's fans against one another, both having 'legitimate' gripe. It makes for really entertaining and interesting viewing, which is the whole point!

My pov is much like in 2003 with the Rock's 2 months in WWE (where he dictated the terms of his involvement with WWE), just enjoy it while it lasts :)

I do have to admit, that I think the whole return backfired on The Rock.

Wen he first came out three weeks back, it was great to see him and he did cut a great promo. However, he did also make a point to "speak as Dwayne" and say he was never going away, in a very straight-forward "i'm speaking from the heart, not from a script" kinda way. Yet he hasn't been at RAW for the two following weeks.

When I seen the Rock's promo on his return, I figured The Rock was gonna turn Cena heel, by pointing out all his shortcomings and make him look like a prick for "challenging" The Rock all those years ago. And because he's The Rock, i assumed the crowd would automatically be on his side.

Then, when Cena cut his promo on RAW last week, i think he made The Rock look like a complete chump. His "I'm here every week" line really shot holes through The Rock, in my opinion, and when The Rock, the man who managed to make me go into hysterics with laughter in 2002/2003, retaliated to John Cena's promo, by AGAIN not showing up for the event, and the best he could do was a squeaky voice and a poor impression... Well.. I think that's all anyone needed to see.

The thing is, people will cheer The Rock, anyway. He could come out, wrestle the worst match you've ever seen, constantly do poor, plain out silly, promos, and because he's "The Rock", people would still cheer him anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Eaton_Gaming

I love the guy just as much as the next person but also im trying to say Where was he last week! he was at home..He is signed to the wwe, he should be at the wwe events.. if e loved the wwe that much he would be there just like cena! he did a good long 7min promo last monday night.. and it would have being better if he was there.. I'm 16 and no i dont love john cena.. i just don't no why people would turn on him just because the rock has.

You really can't any bigger than desiney. I'v enjoyed the Rocks flim.I even go as far as saying I enjoyed the thoot fairy when watching it with kids and it had some hockey it also. He had not lowered himself in fact aren't kids flims more money than the manture flims at the moment. I stand too be corrected.

• Advertisement

A failed actor? I think box office says something very different.

The Rock isn't Sean Penn, but he has had a great acting career so far. Heck he stole the spotlight in Be Cool and Get Smart. He has made alot of money from the movies, alot more than John Cena. And I don't see how he "lowered" himself to doing kids movies, alot of big names have made childrens films. Raúl Juilá said his favourite role was Gomez Adams simply because it made children smile. Yet he was still seen as a well respected actor by his peers.

Great is definitely over stating his career. He has had a decent career, but not great. His box office record shows he generally recoups the budget, but he has not had too many smashes in recent times where he has been the lead. Obviously there is nothing wrong with a career as the support, but he is increasingly becoming a cameo actor in bigger movies and is the lead actor in less successful movies. Action movies are increasingly using "normal" lean, muscular heroes like Jason Statham instead of people like The Rock.

Personally, I think he needs to re-invent himself as an actor and get a role in a few smaller, independent movies. Get some kudos for his acting and use that to build his career. Southland Tales was probably an attempt at that, but there are opportunities out there to be in films that will improve his reputation. He is just seen as an action/comedy guy and the money roles are just not there for him in those films at the minute.

Advertisement