Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FINALLY.....THE ROCK HAS COME BACK........

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

see since Rock isn't wrestling, they're basically selling Mania on the confrontation between the two; so WWE are (rightly) holding off on putting them in the same ring together. WWE still have 4-5 weeks to fill so they're working up to it, so you'll pay to see how it goes down at Mania ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Hey Guys .. Just have to get this off my chest .. 3Weeks ago i was watching WWE Raw and the comeback of The Rock!! I was very happy and was glad to see him host wrestlemania27 However he mocked John Cena and The Miz.Mostly John Cena..When he mocked john cena the whole wwe area turned away from cena and into the rock...The rock left wwe 7years ago to make a acting career for 7 years he did not want to be known as the rock he wanted to be knowing as Dwanye Johnston.However his acting career FAILED miserably as he lowered himslef to kids movies. He has finally come back to WWE and everybody love him WHY i ask.. Cena loves the wwe more than anything in the world and turned down an acting career because he didnt want to leave wwe and the wwe fans I just think The Rock's comeback will not last and he will leave the wwe when another big part in the acting career comes his way...What do ye guys think of all this and why? thanks for your time.hope it all made sense :L
    Just on this part, I really dont buy it.
    Cenas been in multiple films and theyve all tanked (Only the marine recouped its budget). I guarantee if he was a success he'd be gone aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I do have to admit, that I think the whole return backfired on The Rock.

Wen he first came out three weeks back, it was great to see him and he did cut a great promo. However, he did also make a point to "speak as Dwayne" and say he was never going away, in a very straight-forward "i'm speaking from the heart, not from a script" kinda way. Yet he hasn't been at RAW for the two following weeks.

When I seen the Rock's promo on his return, I figured The Rock was gonna turn Cena heel, by pointing out all his shortcomings and make him look like a prick for "challenging" The Rock all those years ago. And because he's The Rock, i assumed the crowd would automatically be on his side.

Then, when Cena cut his promo on RAW last week, i think he made The Rock look like a complete chump. His "I'm here every week" line really shot holes through The Rock, in my opinion, and when The Rock, the man who managed to make me go into hysterics with laughter in 2002/2003, retaliated to John Cena's promo, by AGAIN not showing up for the event, and the best he could do was a squeaky voice and a poor impression... Well.. I think that's all anyone needed to see.

The thing is, people will cheer The Rock, anyway. He could come out, wrestle the worst match you've ever seen, constantly do poor, plain out silly, promos, and because he's "The Rock", people would still cheer him anyway.

It hasn't backfired on him. This weeks Raw is evidence of that. If it had backfired, people would be booing his promo and so forth. They are not. I'm not sure why people are shocked that he is not on Raw every week. He was obviously not going to turn up every week and it would take away from his Mania appearance were he to do so. They need to make people buy Wrestlemania. If you could just watch him on Raw every week until then, Mania would not be the same. His appearances will be treated as special attractions.

Also, people should reserve judgement until after Wrestlemania. Wait and see what actually happens.

And they would be wise to avoid getting into The Rock being in movies given Cena's attempts at movie success. I somehow doubt that John Cena would be on Raw every week were he to have a major success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Eaton_Gaming

The reason cena doesnt make movies is because you can ONLY do movies that are in partnership with the WWE. that is why is movie career has not started as much as the rock's

The reason cena doesnt make movies is because you can ONLY do movies that are in partnership with the WWE. that is why is movie career has not started as much as the rock's
    No the fact theyve all failed is why. And hes guest starred/cameo-ed in other non WWE movies(which also havnt been successes funnily enough)

• Advertisement

The Scorpion King was in partnership with the WWE. That was a success.

Cena can be in other movies as his cameo appearances highlights. Ditto Triple H in Blade or any other wrestler who has been on movies over the past decade. Cody Rhodes has acted in some American TV shows such as Warehouse 13. They will allow them to appear in mainstream material as it all boosts the WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭johnnycnandy

While I worry about so much energy being devoted to Rock/Cena with seemingly no hope of a pay-off (Poor Miz is all but forgotten), it's still making for great tv. They are building perfectly for a Rock v Cena match, but unfortunately I don't see it happening. So I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy them both ripping each other.

With miz looking so inferior maybe they're going with the "will Rock screw cena out of the belt" direction. Because as it stands Miz/Cena is not a draw since Cena has been booked miles above Miz. It's a formality at this point!

It's shocking that Miz and his WWE title is such an afterthought; did Cena even mention that's what he's wrestling for?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Just on this part, I really dont buy it.
    Cenas been in multiple films and theyve all tanked (Only the marine recouped its budget). I guarantee if he was a success he'd be gone aswell.

didn't want to get involved in another cena vs rock thread but only the condemned with austin lost money for wwe as far as i am aware, all cenas films made money when you include dvd sales

anyway you are comparing the disney corp with wwe films, put johnson in a wwe films lead role and cena in a lead role for a major disney production and see which brings in most cash, you are comparing apples to oranges

rossie1977 wrote: »
    didn't want to get involved in another cena vs rock thread but only the condemned with austin lost money for wwe as far as i am aware, all cenas films made money when you include dvd sales
    This really didnt make money (and if it did theres no hope for the world :pac:)

• Advertisement

Indeed if you look at the legendary the film cena is in .. it is a wwe label on the bottom right same as Triple H's new movie The Chaperone all wwe labeled

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

This really didnt make money (and if it did theres no hope for the world :pac:)

that was straight to dvd and opened in about 170 screens for a week, still did better than this i bet

I really doubt Legendary made more than $367,000. In any case Rock's name and films have far more market penetration, grossing and whatever way you want to measure these films by than Cena. But that's not the point rather; point is that Rock "made it" in hollywood. Cena's never really tried but from his WWE efforts I doubt he'd succeed.

That said I don't know if any WWE-related film pulled in less than

knucklehead_xlg-204x300.jpg

Which had a theatrical gross of less than $75 :p

that was straight to dvd and opened in about 170 screens for a week, still did better than this i bet
    Considering thats built up a big enough cult following for its absolute loonyness I doubt it

Southland Tales is a completely different kettle of fish. Firstly, it is hardly sold on The Rock's name value. Secondly, and more importantly, it is an experimental movie not the typical Hollywood fare. Movies such as that are liable to have limited box office appeal. As a piece of work, it failed which will reduce the box office again.

For the record, Southland Tales took $374,743 at the box office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

The Rock came back to give this years Mania a boost,in my opinion he accepted the deal that wwe offered Brock Lesnar last year about 3 appearances with no match.Yes he could of stayed longer when he left but he did everything in such a short time so when he went to go acting he was bit by the acting bug so what. Jericho is trying to do the same & good luck to him.The last thing I want a wrestler to do is stay around too long & become almost pathetic like Ric Flair who got a send off for the ages & now seems to be a punchline like Wrestlings version of Charlie Sheen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I grew up on the attitude era and loved the rock but I'm just not feeling his return at all. It's just not the same and if I don't see him in a wrestling match then what's the ****ing point I ask ? Would love to see him this Monday on raw and get a stunner of stone cold Steve Austin the best wwf/wwe superstar of my generation. ROCK U SOLD OUT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

ricero wrote: »
    I grew up on the attitude era and loved the rock but I'm just not feeling his return at all. It's just not the same and if I don't see him in a wrestling match then what's the ****ing point I ask ? Would love to see him this Monday on raw and get a stunner of stone cold Steve Austin the best wwf/wwe superstar of my generation. ROCK U SOLD OUT

I feel the same, i'm a very nostalgic guy and love seeing anyone from the Attitude Era make an appearance on today's product. I love the idea of The Rock being the host of Wrestlemania and I can understand WWE asking Rock to come back for Wrestlemania season to boost the buyrates, that's just good business sense, but by WWE interjecting The Rock to exchange verbals with Cena, it's overshadowing the Miz feud.

The IWC should be talking about the Miz and John Cena wrestling for the WWE Championship at Wrestlemania. It should be the biggest and most important feud of the year. But that feeling isn't there.

The backbone of WWE has been the same for 20 years - build a feud for 4 weeks on Raw - have a match at the PPV. But that isn't going to happen with Cena and Rock, as some people have stated that Rock is gone after Wrestlemania anyway, so yeah what is the point?

WWE are starting a verbal feud with no physical pay-off at the end.

Cena cut his best promo in years last week, and it wasn't even directed at the guy he is wrestling for the WWE title at Wrestlemania. What a shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Is there any chance the Rock will be hanging around after Mania? I kind of naievly bought into his whole "I'm never going away" line the other week on Raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I grew up on the attitude era and loved the rock but I'm just not feeling his return at all. It's just not the same and if I don't see him in a wrestling match then what's the ****ing point I ask ?

coz he is one of the best promo men the business has ever seen! he can do more to ge the crowd going with one look than half the roster can do in a full match!

I wouldnt blame him for not wrestling - the chance of injury is too big a risk to take! why teh f*ck should he?

• Advertisement

G-Money wrote: »
    Is there any chance the Rock will be hanging around after Mania? I kind of naievly bought into his whole "I'm never going away" line the other week on Raw.

He just meant that he'll always be a part of the WWE, not that he'll suddenly become an active wrestler again.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,422 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

jaykhunter wrote: »
    With miz looking so inferior maybe they're going with the "will Rock screw cena out of the belt" direction. Because as it stands Miz/Cena is not a draw since Cena has been booked miles above Miz. It's a formality at this point!

It's shocking that Miz and his WWE title is such an afterthought; did Cena even mention that's what he's wrestling for?? :confused:

Fruity Pebbles :p

Tbh Rock as host of WM is the main selling point of the ppv for me - I hope besides Cena will send some interaction between him with others like SCSA, Punk (Rock mentioned him on a SD promo) and HHH.

I do think he will be around after WM maybe not back full time but popping in and out from time to time as I think he will go into the HOF next year

As for his return it is Electrifying!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

um, because cena is the most controversial star to ever be in wwe and hes the type it would be very easy to turn your back on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

My Thoughts On the Come Back Of the Rock

Hey Guys .. Just have to get this off my chest .. 3Weeks ago i was watching WWE Raw and the comeback of The Rock!! I was very happy and was glad to see him host wrestlemania27 However he mocked John Cena and The Miz.Mostly John Cena..When he mocked john cena the whole wwe area turned away from cena and into the rock...The rock left wwe 7years ago to make a acting career for 7 years he did not want to be known as the rock he wanted to be knowing as Dwanye Johnston.However his acting career FAILED miserably as he lowered himslef to kids movies. He has finally come back to WWE and everybody love him WHY i ask.. Cena loves the wwe more than anything in the world and turned down an acting career because he didnt want to leave wwe and the wwe fans I just think The Rock's comeback will not last and he will leave the wwe when another big part in the acting career comes his way...What do ye guys think of all this and why? thanks for your time.hope it all made sense :L

8812305b-a667-4ed3-b8a3-3fcb5b7c725e.jpg

Sorry!

DM ICE.. That was quite funny..surpised nobody said it earlier :L

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

hes right too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

The Rock sold out because his movies are better than Stone Cold's?:confused::confused:

Most of the WWE's big names at the moment would prefer to b in movies. HHH was in Blade and tried to get the role of Thor (none of which were in partnership with WWE ergo you can apply for an role you want) and then you have Kane, Cena, Show, etc. making ****e movies for the WWE because they can't get good roles, not because they're locked in by contracts that are easy to walk away from with a near guarantee they'd take you back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Hey Guys .. Just have to get this off my chest .. 3Weeks ago i was watching WWE Raw and the comeback of The Rock!! I was very happy and was glad to see him host wrestlemania27 However he mocked John Cena and The Miz.Mostly John Cena..When he mocked john cena the whole wwe area turned away from cena and into the rock...The rock left wwe 7years ago to make a acting career for 7 years he did not want to be known as the rock he wanted to be knowing as Dwanye Johnston.However his acting career FAILED miserably as he lowered himslef to kids movies. He has finally come back to WWE and everybody love him WHY i ask. Cena loves the wwe more than anything in the world and turned down an acting career because he didnt want to leave wwe and the wwe fans I just think The Rock's comeback will not last and he will leave the wwe when another big part in the acting career comes his way...What do ye guys think of all this and why? thanks for your time.hope it all made sense :L

No offense OP, but you're acting like one of those fans who think The Rock is a sellout and feel he disrespected the wreslting business by going to Hollywood. But i'll say to you what I say to eveyrone else who says this. Rock made his choice to go into the movie business, and peoples should respect his decison. WWE dosen't own him, even if they did give him a platform. The fact that he was gone for 7 years shouldn't be a problem, because his departure from WWE has allowed for guys like Randy Orton and John Cena to become big stars in the company in his absence. They should really be thanking him, because if he stayed, he'd still be the face of the company instead of Cena. Now Rock will proberly leave to do more movies, but that's shouldn't be a problem either because from the sound of it. He's going to be appearing more often in the future. Just not every week or something. Proberly like Stone Cold or Dusty Rhode's occasional appearence every now and then. But my point is, people should respect Rock's decison whichever choice he makes.

BTW Rock dosen't have a failed movie career. He's actually had a very successful one, the only thing is he's done a lot of Disney movies which might sound sad but he's made a lot of money from doing them and has managed to find a lot of work with Disney. At least he didn't turn out like Hulk Hogan, who tried to break hollywood but ended up going back to wrestling.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    BTW Rock dosen't have a failed movie career. He's actually had a very successful one, the only thing is he's done a lot of Disney movies which might sound sad but he's made a lot of money from doing them and has managed to find a lot of work with Disney. At least he didn't turn out like Hulk Hogan, who tried to break hollywood but ended up going back to wrestling.

Nobody is saying that being in a Disney movie is a failure. But people are either over or under stating his movie career. He has had a decent career, but no more than decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,422 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think it is safe to say Rock has had the best movie career out of all the ex wrestlers who have tried their hand at films. I remember reading he is also in the running for a role in the new Bond film. I dont think the Disney films he made were failures at the box office. He is very charismatic and it always comes across in everything he does from promos to movies to interviews.

Advertisement