Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FINALLY.....THE ROCK HAS COME BACK........

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

In fairness, he doesn't have too many strong challenges from wrestlers to be the best wrestler/actor :D.

He has done well, but it would be a lie to say he has been a massive success. But like I said above, Cena, HHH etc would jump at the chance to be a movie star like The Rock. Just because others have failed and stayed in the WWE, does not make The Rock a traitor. He just did it better than the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

coz he is one of the best promo men the business has ever seen! he can do more to ge the crowd going with one look than half the roster can do in a full match!

I wouldnt blame him for not wrestling - the chance of injury is too big a risk to take! why teh f*ck should he?

If he truly cared about us wwe fans and professional wrestling in general he should whip out the trunks and have one final match in front of the millions.... And millions of the rocks fans ;) I still think his promos are awesome but I just think as a person that truly as he said loves us fans he should wrestle one more time at mania. I know for sure if not for Steve austins neck injurys he would

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

the rock > *

sorry. i dont make the rules, i just enforce them - queue scott steiner-esque flex

ricero wrote: »
    If he truly cared about us wwe fans and professional wrestling in general he should whip out the trunks and have one final match in front of the millions.... And millions of the rocks fans ;) I still think his promos are awesome but I just think as a person that truly as he said loves us fans he should wrestle one more time at mania. I know for sure if not for Steve austins neck injurys he would

So to you, him caring only means putting his career at risk and breaking insurance clauses?

Austin could wrestle one more match too if he wanted to do so. He has stated that in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

From CM Punk's Twitter:

rockops_92994.jpg

http://yfrog.com/gy20ootj

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    From CM Punk's Twitter:

rockops_92994.jpg

http://yfrog.com/gy20ootj

:pac:

Cena-Laughing-At-Vickie.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I just came on to post that! Absolutely brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

The great one will be back on the raw before mania (no surprises there)

From his facebook:
    Get ready CHICAGO...The Rock is Bringin' It and we're "Puttin' Our Boots to Candy Asses" LIVE on RAW and ELECTRIFYING THE WORLD...3/28/11.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Expect both Miz and Cenas promos to be aimed towards the rocks presence on raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

CMpunked wrote: »
    Expect both Miz and Cenas promos to be aimed towards the rocks presence on raw.

I wouldn't mind if Cena mentioned he's wrestling for the WWE title. Sigh :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

its a weird situation, the feud mostly revolves around the rock, so it will be weird when at mania they play all the build-up package about the rock, then its Miz & Cena who come out to face one another one on one!

that is of course if he doesn't appear as an enforcer.

Hoping there is some sort of Austin/Rock confrontation, what a moment of nostalgia, at Wrestlemania of all places, they'd better do something with it on the night!

I'd be very happy if Austin just stunned everyone in sight and then Miz crawls over and pinned Cena :pac:

I'd be really pi$$ed off if Austin doesn't stunner The Uso's at Wrestlemania.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'm thinking, if there was so little chance that Miz was going to retain, maybe he would retain. Cena's focus is The Rock, Miz's focus is retaining the WWE championship. He should win. But I know WWE want that "WrestleMania moment face posing at the end" glory shot...... :(

Miz has no chance if it is the last match on. But if Taker/HHH is last on, he has a chance. Depends really how they will use The Rock.

Speaking of The Rock, this was in The Guardian today (not sure how many here are Guardian readers, but you really should be!). Aside from some dodgy comments on wrestling (like the one about the audience mainly being kids for example) and one very true one about Vince, it makes some good points about Rock's acting career. By right I mean agrees with what I said in the thread about his acting :pac: The attitude towards wrestling though does show why The Rock has been reluctant to come back until now. Overall, a good piece though.
    The limp new Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson action movie Faster prompts me once again to ask – as I did after Gridiron Gang, Walking Tall and The Rundown – when will someone give this man a proper job?

The Rock is blessed with a million-megawatt smile that simply mows down one's objections and doubts; charisma and bulk to burn; and, most important of all, an inborn comic talent that has been criminally underused since his graduation to Hollywood marquee from the bloody canvas of the World Wrestling Federation, for which he was just another he-man indentured to deeply dodgy wrestling honcho Vince McMahon.

Watching Faster, I thought it should be called Rewind, since it channels the same lunk-headedly vengeful themes as Johnson's unnecessary remake of Walking Tall. I had hoped to see more development than that by now, because the evidence for The Rock's genius is spread across a diverse range of bit-parts and sweetly delivered comic turns.

The Rock is a rock, a force of nature, an object of great beauty, a monolithic screen presence who's so far been deployed like a kiddies' favourite – even when he's blowing people's brains out in sub-drive-in trash like Faster. His career reflects the bipolar nature of the narrative arcs of the wrestling world where he made his bones (with its heroic "face" and caddish "heel" characters), with their appeal to the kids who are the real fanbase, and to the more bloodthirsty adult fans who want to see a few faces get filled in. The Rock's movies can largely be divided into two columns, catering separately to those opposed markets. Thus on the one extreme we get Cutie Dwayne as The Tooth Fairy (a delightful conceit, I'll allow), in Race To Witch Mountain and in cameos on Hannah Montana; and on the other we get Bad-Ass Johnson, kicking teeth and busting **** up.

Ah, but look elsewhere for the essence of The Rock: his winningly angry-sweet wrestler cameo on That 70s Show (he was actually playing his own wrestler father Rocky), when he first road-tested that incredible rising eyebrow (ditto the otherwise flaccid Be Cool); his role in the bizarrely brilliant/idiotic Southland Tales; and his repeat appearances on Saturday Night Live since 2008 in the Hulk-like role of "The Rock Obama" ("Dude, don't make the President mad!").

Best of all was his co-starring role in the delightful and underrated Get Smart, opposite comedy pacesetter Steve Carell, in which he's the golden-boy Agent 23 – all laser-smiles and macho gorgeousness – who turns out to be the super-cocky villain. For a moment in that movie we were afforded a glimpse of the Rock's binary halves reunited and made to cohere – and it was a beautiful thing to watch. I wish it would happen more often, because The Rock, well, The Rock just rocks.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/mar/19/the-rock-is-back-and-underused-in-faster?INTCMP=SRCH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

cenablow.jpg

this might be how john responds to The Rock in chicago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

just found this online: The Gay and Lesbian Anti-Defamation Defense League issued a statement announcing that WWE will be working with GLAAD to create and promote an anti-bullying initiative and also offered GLAAD the opportunity to conduct trainings for their staff of writers and editors. The issue came up after the John Cena used gay remark towards The Rock and The Miz on RAW, something that GLAAD wasn�t glad about. We reached out to WWE Incorporated, which responded swiftly and positively, said the statement. The incidents were particularly troubling because WWE recently began promoting itself as PG-rated entertainment marketed primarily towards adolescent males, the statement continued. And there was wrestling superstar John Cena performing what amounted to scripted homophobic bullying of other wrestlers on a nationally broadcast show for kids. WWE assured GLAAD that such incidents wont happen again and issued an apology. WWE takes this issue very seriously, and has already spoken with our talent about these incidents. We are taking steps and working with GLAAD to ensure that our fans know that WWE is against bullying or discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. We strongly value our fans in the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community, and apologize to them for these incidents.

Pardon the pun, but I'm glad something has been said about it. It was ridiculous how much homophobic garbage was coming out of his mouth. Just as alarming as the people who were defending it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Prior to his WWE return last month, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson had stated publicly in several interviews that his in-ring career was likely forever. Fast forward to 2011′s red-hot feud with John Cena and The Great One appears to have changed his tune.
    The Rock is on the cover of the latest issue of WWE Magazine and tells them he’s ready to throw down in the ring once again.

When asked how many of his old ring outfits he still has, Rock said, “I still own it all. It’s still with me in my house. It was never going away because I knew I would one day use it again.”
    That sounds like he’s talking about wrestling again, so The Rock was asked,

“So does that mean you’re coming back to fight as well?”
    He responded,”Making movies is something that I love to do, and I know that it brings a lot of people joy, which in turn brings me and my soul great gratification. Being in the ring and entertaining the audience and kicking ass physically brings me and my soul great gratification as well. I can guarantee that I can always do both.”

source:
    http://www.sescoops.com/wrestling-news/wwe/the-rock-says-he-will-wrestle-again/

what do yous think? bull****?

Notice the lack of a definite "Yes I will wrestle again". It sounds like a leaving his options open statement or an attempt to avoid backlash his "I'll never wrestle again" statements got.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Also notice that site was the only site to say that. Don't think he ever will.

The Rock is on RTE2 tonight at 21:30 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Charisteas wrote: »
    The Rock is on RTE2 tonight at 21:30 :cool:

Clever;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Also notice that site was the only site to say that. Don't think he ever will.

atm I'd agree with that but you gotta believe Vince and co are trying to get in Rock's ear right now. He must be loving being back electrifing the millions and the thought of another match must be appealing especially when he already has one built and would really need minimal commitment to do it vs Cena.

Again doubt this but, Cena going heel at WM taking out the Rock after Rock had raised his hand as the champ in the lead to a Rock vs Cena Summerslam main event, after which Cena is the most hated man on the planet and gets given a new target, The Undertakers undefeated streak at WM, potentially in Takers retirement match.

I know id be in The Rock's ear, reminding him how big a cheque your giving him for mania, how few shows he has had to do for that, how much he has loved it, and how much he would love one last big match aswell as how much he could help the WWE by doing this. Add Rock vs Cena to the Summerslam card and you have as big a drawing card as a Wrestlemania already almost.

so to summarise... doubt it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Link
    Announced tonight: The 2011 WWE Survivor Series will be at @MSGNYC this November!
    From the wwe universe twitter.

I'd say there is a big chance we will see Rock v Cena at SS if they are at MSG.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,422 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Source

John Cena was interviewed by Anthony Castellano of Newsday today on conjunction with his appearing at Madison Square Garden in conjunction with tomorrow night's show. There were some interesting quotes in the piece.
    Where the Rock is concerned Cena said, "I think we're on to a point if this continues, something physical is going to happen."
    About the Rock's return Cena said, "He's supposed to host. That's all I know. When he came back on that first night he said he was back for good. I can only hope that’s the truth because I would certainly like to have many, many matches with him."
    About The Miz and his rise he said, "He proved in the last few weeks that he is the champ. He needs to be respected as such."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Link

While I want the match, I can't think of how they could possibly stretch out the story for that long :S

Link

Would they waste that match on a Survivor Series though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭jmolloy

Advertisement