Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renting an R8 in ireland

• 18-02-2011 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

hi there

So I was thinking of renting an Audi R8 for a weekend, however it doesn't seem to be possible in Ireland. It seems like you need to go to the UK (the closest ) to be able to.
    I would rather not, does anyone know better?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 151 ✭✭greenermetals

Ive a 2001 Hyundai Accent I can lend you if youre stuck

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Go to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭SomeUnusedName

hehe :)

how about good roads to drive there?
    Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭iphone4g

Molls Gap,Ring of Kerry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That kind of stuff isnt available for rent here as far as I can see. More than likely insurance problems.
    Have a holiday in the uk and pick your supercar of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 gerdee

A few weeks ago I saw that the car in the following link was "For sale/rent". I think they were looking for 850EUR for 1 week. The ad has since changed and they no longer offer it for rent. Guess insurance problems or something got in the way. Not an R8 I know but maybe of interest.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Porsche/Cayman/2.7/201106201229926/advert?channel=CARS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

gerdee wrote: »
    A few weeks ago I saw that the car in the following link was "For sale/rent". I think they were looking for 850EUR for 1 week. The ad has since changed and they no longer offer it for rent. Guess insurance problems or something got in the way. Not an R8 I know but maybe of interest.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Porsche/Cayman/2.7/201106201229926/advert?channel=CARS

Not bad for a week of fun and pulling birds!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

-Corkie- wrote: »

So how's the A8 doing, Corkie?

VolvoMan wrote: »
    So how's the A8 doing, Corkie?

I sold it nine months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I sold it nine months ago.

Wow, must have been quite a short period of ownership then.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Wow, must have been quite a short period of ownership then.

Yup. 10 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

He mustn't of tinted the windows...

If it was the 3.4, it would be enough car for anybody. I have to say though that a car worth 25k is not worth 850 a week.

mickdw wrote: »
    If it was the 3.4, it would be enough car for anybody. I have to say though that a car worth 25k is not worth 850 a week.

I thought a 08 Porsche would be woth more than that.. When you put it that way I agree..

I thought a 08 Porsche would be woth more than that.. When you put it that way I agree..

Sorry that should have read 35k, still not worth 850 a week

mickdw wrote: »
    Sorry that should have read 35k, still not worth 850 a week

True. Actually off topic Volvoman got me thinking I was looking at A8`s in the UK but they are still making big money with big mileage. The VRT is also expensive. I could only get a 03 anyway so I might as well dream on..:rolleyes:

it seems like its really impossible, I cant figure why tho, Mondello and rally places are always busy...
    And going to the UK for this is just now what I would prefer to do.

I called Avis prestige UK (they have R8s for rent) but they said they only operate in mainland UK and I would need special permission to take the car out of the UK.

I also called Audi Ireland and they said they dont really know of anyone in Ireland doing this, and on their side of things, the best they can do is offer some sort of contact in a trac place in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

not sure if these guys are still going

Beaufort Performance & Prestige Car Rental, 25 Pembroke pk, Dublin 4 Tel: (01) 6689080

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

it seems like its really impossible, I cant figure why tho, Mondello and rally places are always busy

Really ?
    If you spent 250k on a car here - would you rent it out at all, never mind for 850 a week ?

I've driven a 2009 R8 around Mondello - Audi owned it. And when we (and a few others...on a few other tracks that year) were finished with it.......it was to be scrapped).

Ultimate in depreciation, really.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

galwaytt wrote: »
    Really ?
    If you spent 250k on a car here - would you rent it out at all, never mind for 850 a week ?

I've driven a 2009 R8 around Mondello - Audi owned it. And when we (and a few others...on a few other tracks that year) were finished with it.......it was to be scrapped).

What was the point in scrapping them? It's just flat out wrong, on so many levels.

Why couldn't they just put everyone's name who participated in their track days into some sort of raffle to win them?

Much better PR for the company I would have thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Shane732

galwaytt wrote: »
    Really ?

How did you manage to get your hands on a R8 from Audi?!!!! Lucky fu*k*r!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

daRobot wrote: »
    What was the point in scrapping them? It's just flat out wrong, on so many levels.

Why couldn't they just put everyone's name who participated in their track days into some sort of raffle to win them?

Believe me, that did occur to us..........
    Shane732 wrote: »
    How did you manage to get your hands on a R8 from Audi?!!!! Lucky fu*k*r!!!! :D

...can't claim any fame for being there, I wasn't alone.....but... Read all about it :D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I called Avis prestige UK (they have R8s for rent) but they said they only operate in mainland UK and I would need special permission to take the car out of the UK.

It's against the law for an Irish resident to drive a foreign reg car here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 raveydavey

Ive a 2001 Hyundai Accent I can lend you if youre stuck

WOW!!! Kicks the nuts off an R8 any day! :D

think I m going to the UK, I ll open a thread on good driving routes with not many cameras
    I was thinking germany first tbh, but I heard there are a lot of roadworks,
    anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

daRobot wrote: »

After being driven at pretty much redline revs for all its life (2 to 3 years) the cars take a savage bashing. I've seen the abuse these cars take at first hand and it isnt pretty.

RedorDead wrote: »
    After being driven at pretty much redline revs for all its life (2 to 3 years) the cars take a savage bashing. I've seen the abuse these cars take at first hand and it isnt pretty.

Yes I dont think they would be allowed to sell or even offer them for free to public. Surely though, they could sell them to rack tracks for experience days where they would be guaranteed suitable maintenance.
    To scrap them is sickening

Advertisement