Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windscreen crack - some questions

• 18-02-2011 4:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭

Hi there,
    There is a crack in my windscreen:

attachment.php?attachmentid=148671&stc=1&d=1298041470

Questions:
    1. Will this cause an NCT fail?
    2. Is it repairable or will it need total replacement.
    3. How much will a replacement cost - it's an alfa 156

Answers to any question welcomed.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

not sure about NCT but I got mine replaced by AAA Windscreen and it was free on my insurance.

Worth noting too that if you have the famous "dash squeak/rattle" from the passengers side on cold mornings you can get in to fix this with the screen removed. It's caused by the tops of the bolts holding the dashboard in place. You can put some rubber caps on them and the rattle goes. Having the windscreen out is the only way to get in under the dash to fix this so it'd be a good opportunity if you have the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd say that a fail.
    The manual page 26
    http://www.ncts.ie/pdf/nctmanual.pdf

If you decide to go ahead anyway and they fail the windscreen it should just be a free retest as they can tell you changed screen without bringing it into the hall.
    Check your cover for glass damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭taintabird

adm wrote: »
    Hi there,
    There is a crack in my windscreen:

attachment.php?attachmentid=148671&stc=1&d=1298041470

Questions:
    1. Will this cause an NCT fail?
    2. Is it repairable or will it need total replacement.
    3. How much will a replacement cost - it's an alfa 156

Answers to any question welcomed.
    Thanks.

Yup that's a fail and that crack is too big for repair so you are looking at a replacement, Do you have windscreen cover on your insurance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

Windscreen cover for me was only €29 extra with Quinn, well worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

Thanks for answers.
    My insurance wont cover it. Only third party fire and theft with 123. The reason being it's my first car (despite being in my 30's!) so it was very expensive to go fully comp. Still cost me over 800.

Anyway anyone any ideas on price. also can you get windscreens from breaker/dismantlers?

• Advertisement
Advertisement