Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone or Blackberry?

Options
  • 18-02-2011 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

If your phone vanished from thin air and you had to choose between these two, what would you pick?

iPhone or Blackberry? 24 votes

iPhone
    0% 0 votes
    Blackberry
    100% 24 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Sykk wrote: »
    If your phone vanished from thin air and you had to choose between these two, what would you pick?

I've both at the moment and the iPhone wins hands down (except for not being able to connect to Lotus Notes :mad: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Mena wrote: »
    I've both at the moment and the iPhone wins hands down (except for not being able to connect to Lotus Notes :mad: )

Ewwww :P

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I also have both. Email, podcasts, documents & battery life makes the Blackberry a winner hands down

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Both are terrible, there are better options.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Nope, no better options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

srsly78 wrote: »

Great constructive post.

They are two vastly different beasts -one is a corporate e-mail device, the other is a personal media device.

Apples and banannas, tbh.

Oh, and if I had to choose? iPhone, of course. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

the exellent battery life on blackberry is so handy though , i often charge my phone on a monday, and dont need to charge it again for 3 days, during which i use it as a mp3 player and for sending emails texts and a few phonecalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

CivilEx wrote: »
    I also have both. Email, podcasts, documents & battery life makes the Blackberry a winner hands down

I absolutely despise Blackberries and the reason is I believe they are the worst email device I have ever used.

I am thinking purely from a Microsoft Exchange environment but every other smartphone natively syncs perfectly with Exchange, iPhone included.

The Blackberry on the other hand does not and they expect you to purchase a €4000 (or so) enterprise server to make it work properly.

Vodafone and O2 have a limited online solution these days but they only support* the syncing of your inbox and deleted items. They do not support calendar, contacts and tasks etc.

For a device that is sold as a mobile email device, that is very poor form.

*It may sync your calendar but it is not supported and I have seen it fail many times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

Saruman wrote: »
    I absolutely despise Blackberries and the reason is I believe they are the worst email device I have ever used.

I am thinking purely from a Microsoft Exchange environment but every other smartphone natively syncs perfectly with Exchange, iPhone included.

The Blackberry on the other hand does not and they expect you to purchase a €4000 (or so) enterprise server to make it work properly.

Vodafone and O2 have a limited online solution these days but they only support* the syncing of your inbox and deleted items. They do not support calendar, contacts and tasks etc.

For a device that is sold as a mobile email device, that is very poor form.

*It may sync your calendar but it is not supported and I have seen it fail many times.

i have used blackberries for years, and sync , contacts, calender, tasks, email, email folders , with exchange, and it works flawlessy. you dont need to spend thousands on a BES server, just get a BES contract with microsoft for €10.33 per month. or if you dont have exchange, gmail, syncs perfectly with a blackberry, and use the google sync app.

blackberry is far superior for email, and i have both iphone and blackberry.

also and most importantly, it depends on what version of exchange, and whether or not it is accessible from the net, a lot depends on what way you have exchange implemented, and its connectivity to the internet.

So you are still paying extra for exchange compatibility when every other smartphone supports exchange fully out of the box?

Any IT person worth their salt will have the exchange environment set up to work with a mobile phone. All you need is outlook web access to be accessible for employees.

As far as I can tell the only advantage of a blackberry over iphone for email is the keyboard. In that case just get any Nokia smartphone with a keyboard and you have mailforexchange right there and ready to go with full exchange support and no 3rd party services or extra expense.

• Advertisement

Have you used an iPhone in an Exchange environment away from the office? If you receive a file that you want to simply bounce onto someone, the iPhone downloads it to the handset first and the uploads it back when sending it.

Have you any idea of how long it takes to upload a 1MB file when you only have GPRS coverage (Vodafone). For me that was the reason I left the iPhone for a Blackberry. At least the Blackberry knows not to download / upload and the email goes through every time.

Granted, it's nice to have bells & whistles, but the basics are more important?

Yeah I use an iPhone 4 but to be honest I don't have a reason to worry about forwarding attachments so never noticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭StephenM_smc

Blackberry have also a free enterprise server option, BES Express. Doesn't have the full functionality of BES but should have the basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Blackberry have also a free enterprise server option, BES Express. Doesn't have the full functionality of BES but should have the basics.

Iphone internet browseing is actually a blast on a mobile now!

Good to know thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

BES is more than just a way to sync ur mail with ur BB, it also provides a full management suite for your blackberry users as well as a lot of security features. Someone gets their BB stolen, simple, logon to BES and tell it to wipe their device, within a couple mins all data is deleted. To get that kind of functionality for iphone and android you have to pay similar amounts AND install 3rd party software on to the device.

its much easier for admins, have you ever looked at BES? so simple its unreal, it integrates perfectly with Active directory for adding users and nearly all functions are done from a context menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Quick

BES Express is free and you can have up to 1000 blackberrys on that server!

Blackberrys are a great business phone. I have a 9700 for work and a HTC Desire for personal use. I had an iPhone for 2 years and would never go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

i have used blackberries for ages, also used iphones right from the first one as well as android (samsung spica and htc wildfire)

my favourite device is blackberry and am currently using an 8520 which is perfect for my needs, battery is pretty good and everything else just works

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Tin_Cup

Just wondering if anyone is using the Torch???

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭boarder777

I have a torch,i would like 9780 instead,hate touchscreens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Blackberry is only good for corporate use, having one for personal use is like paying to stick your hand in a blender. Companies like BB because they can remotely nuke the device if it gets stolen or whatever (which is fair enough), almost everything else your iphone/android can also do. Remote wipe will soon be added to android as well.

iphone still doesn't support exchange properly AFAIK. Exchange server will refuse devices that fail to meet certain requirements (like advanced encryption methods), iphone PRETENDS to support stuff as a crude hack so it works, massive security risk (microsofts fault as much as apples). Maybe they actually got around to supporting it properly, I haven't kept up.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

i have both and would pick Iphone over blackberry :)

Advertisement