Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating a desktop shortcut on my website

Options
  • 18-02-2011 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi, can anyone let me know if its possible to have an icon on my website for my customers to create a desktop shortcut.
    I have searched for this but can not seem to find anything of help to me.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Feckfox

Hi, can anyone let me know if its possible to have an icon on my website for my customers to create a desktop shortcut.
    I have searched for this but can not seem to find anything of help to me.

Thanks

It's possible but the user has to do it themselves. A website can't put an icon on a users desktop (otherwise every website would do that).

Someone might correct me but I don't think it's possible to have a button that does that either.

You can encourage them to bookmark your site. CTRL + D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I've never seen someone giving that option, I don't think there's any need really. Let them bookmark you, or else add you as their homepage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Assuming they have you bookmarked, they should be able to drag and drop the bookmark/favourite from the Organise Bookmarks/Favorites onto the desktop.

Otherwise you have mess around with and isolate the browser's desktop shortcut into some sort of file which isn't straightforward at all. Then make sure the file format and naming works. Not sure if it's easily doable, but it's likely too messy for customers.

Advertisement