Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats wrong with Dell?

Options
  • 18-02-2011 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

I've been thinking of getting a desktop PC for a while and from looking round this seems to my untrained eye as a good deal
    http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=ie&cs=iedhs1&kc=HDP&l=en&m_30=322299&oc=D005810&rbc=D005810&s=dhs

i'd love to build my own but i can burn water and am not the most technically minded putting it kindly. Years back when i last bought a PC Dell were fairly competitive but after reading some of the threads on here i've been put off. If someone could firstly tell me whats wrong with this one and then maybe point me towards somewhere i'm not going to get tottally ripped off i'd be extremely gratefull
    P.S: Any links to refurbished desktop computer suppliers would also be great. Dell Outlet seems to have shut down for remoddeling and google kept directing me to dodgy e bay "super gaming computers for 100 euro" sites :(
    Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

It's just not tremendously powerful and likely to be very upgradable. Do you want to run games on it or is it more general use?

Building your own isn't that hard with some patience and a bit of reading but some of the sites will do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Re: laptop screen, maybe make a new thread and give a few more details. There's a laptops forum as well where you might get a better answer.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=529

Re: Dell

attachment.php?attachmentid=148695&stc=1&d=1298051146

Here's a similar build from hardwareversand.de.
    Delivery is €30 and assembly is €20, bringing it up to €500. The dell has a basic keyboard with it probably worth €5. The advantage with this system is far greater upgradability with the motherboard and PSU. I would not choose that graphics card (added for the sake of comparison) if you intend to use it for games.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭backthephilup

I have a latop already as for gaming i'd like a bit of Starcraft 2 but i'm not looking for a gaming monster. Just a decent spec PC with High Def so i can hook it up to my lovely Bush 22" TV . My budget would be 5-600 :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What resolution is the Bush? It determines the strength of the graphics card you'll need to play games on it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭backthephilup

Resolution 1920x1080 pixels. Never knew your tv was a consideration but as i stated above what i don't know about computers could build cities :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

Heres what's wrong with Dell

Untitled.png

Nuff said.

Plus at 1920x1080 would require a great deal of power graphicly, I'd recommend a HD5770, HD5830 or 460gtx

I tell you what actually (depending on your location) if your order in components for a computer rather than buying from Dell I will build you it myself, install the OS, drivers etc and even overclock it for free just aslong as you don't buy from Dell and end up regreting it sometime down the line when you want to upgrade it.

BTW if anyone hasn't guessed yet I really dislike Dell >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

That Dell 580 would be upgradable allright.

I recently bought a Dell 580 i5 760 and upgraded the GPU to a HD6870 and PSU to a Corsair 650.

While it can be done its not the most cost effective. If I remember correctly a build with hardwareversand.de at the time was around €750 - €800, while the Dell 580 was €700 + €300 of upgrades.

Anyway it was the pay monthly option which swung it for me.

p.s.
    That Dell 580 i5 760 is going for €670 now:

http://ireland.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/minicat/new/upsell/inspiron-580-D005827?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dhs

a quad core i5 with a 5450?
    what a horribly unbalanced machine (like most oem comps) plus dells are upgradable to a degree aslong as you keep to there recommended list or if you dont ever plan on upgrqding the mobo

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Yea pretty bad GPU alright. I suppose they keep them purposefully low spec. in these desktops to tempt people to go with their rip off gaming rigs.

Also I seen someone post here that Dell don't allow you to overclock i5, is this true? Not that to bothered tbh.

• Advertisement

yup dell mobos dont allow to overclock at all altho my friend flashed his bios with a hacked bios version on his xps 700 but voided his warrenty in the process

Advertisement