Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android 2.3 over the counter

• 18-02-2011 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Why is it such a problem to get an Android device through Vodafone, O2, Meteor and the rest that comes from the latest O/S?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

At the moment only the Nexus S has 2.3 officially

More phones will be getting released with 2.3/2.4 over the next couple of months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Sometimes it happens that OEM's skip one version and just release the next one quicker. Right now only nexus s runs with 2.3.2...Its the biggest issue with android right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

It's not an issue at all, ignore evotroll. What do you want android 2.3 for? Can you specifically say what feature it has that you want?

I installed 2.3 on my Desire, the only difference from a user perspective between it and 2.2 is some shiny UI effects when you hit the top/bottom of a touchscroll. Big ****ing swing. It has lots of AWESOME features for developers (proper native c++ stl). I'm an Android developer and I just bought a Nexus S in London from Carphone Warehouse for this reason.

In summary: Who cares about Android 2.3 right now? Developers do, so we can develop for stuff with NFC etc. It is absolutely no good to you until us developers actually release stuff that uses this, which will take a few months at least. And in any case only the Nexus S has NFC so this is irrelevant. Please ignore the absolute nonsense posted by most websites (lolengadget) and "enthusiasts" (non developers). No doubt they are gonna wade in now and tell me how wrong I am :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

srsly78 wrote: »
    It's not an issue at all, ignore evotroll.
    Calling another poster a troll is a no-no. User infracted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Apologies, I will refer to him as "willfully incorrect" in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

It's up the the manufactuers to release the OS, not the networks. Simple as that.

Dude your full of ****. Just because you think your right doesn't mean you are alot of OEMs have skipped 2.0 android and went for 2.1. Wonder why you never saw any 2.0 handsets?

you are the big troll here cause you can't write a comment with being childish about it. Go find your feed somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

srsly78 wrote: »
    Apologies, I will refer to him as "willfully incorrect" in future.
    Unless you're a mind reader, you frankly cannot accuse him of being willfully anything. Any further antagonism from you in this thread and you will receive a ban.
    you are the big troll here cause you can't write a comment with being childish about it. Go find your feed somewhere else.
    As with srsly78, you've just earned an infraction for name calling.

If you object to a post, report it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Dude your full of ****. Just because you think your right doesn't mean you are alot of OEMs have skipped 2.0 android and went for 2.1. Wonder why you never saw any 2.0 handsets?

Because only the Motorola Droid got 2.0 and that was given 2.1 within weeks of the N1 release.And they were both Eclair.
    I dunno why it went like that but if I had to guess Id say Motorola & Verizon wanted the latest version at their big launch so what was originally the full featured 2.0 became 2.1 and they were given everything stable & ready as the 2.0 release

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Right now only nexus s runs with 2.3.2...Its the biggest issue with android right now

On the positive side if the biggest issue with Android is that some handsets don't have 2.3 then Androids doing OK

Here's what we're missing out on
    http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.3-highlights.html#UserFeatures

• Advertisement

Its still just a penny for the thought :)
    Doesnt mean it wont happen again :)

Advertisement