Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The blocking of numbers in Ireland

Options
  • 18-02-2011 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

To my surprise, a number cannot be blocked in Ireland from the operators. Apparently you can get nuisance texts blocked but phone calls cannot be blocked.

I have a person calling me with their caller ID visible and this has been going on for months. I have my mobile number ~12 years and I will not change my number. It is not persistent calling but it is every few weeks.

I sent a text to the number in question asking her to stop but she keeps calling every now and then. I don't recognise the person in question.

Apparently the only option is to call the Gardai and get them to investigate it.

Typical of this backwater country we live in.

/end rant

Has anyone any suggestions for me? Thanks in advance.

My operator is O2.. not for much longer either :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Add the number to a group and set that group to reject calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

Can't do that on an iPhone and most phones as far as I am aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Vodafone will block number for you using their 'safety net' system

They wouldn't allow me upgrade to a 4G iPhone as I have a few months left on my 18 month contract with them, even though I have been with them ~12 years.

They won't protect me as a consumer either.

Bye bye O2..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

unfortunately the gards probably can't help you. unles the caller is threatening you or is a pervert, the gards can't do anything... looks like hello Voda!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Could you answer and just leave the phone down letting her credit run out or if she's on a bill, letting the bill tot up? After a few goes of that she'd surely cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Malice wrote: »
    Could you answer and just leave the phone down letting her credit run out or if she's on a bill, letting the bill tot up? After a few goes of that she'd surely cop on.

Good tactics there. Just hit the answer button and leave the phone where it is. Let the mofo waste her credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Jailbreak your iPhone, then you will have access to countless apps that can blacklist and ban numbers.

Malice wrote: »

I have done that previously. Doesn't seem to deter some people :rolleyes:

I called the number this evening with my own number witheld. She answered, I told her to stop calling me.. she just kept repeating "You have the wrong number" in an annoying English accent. I said "you have been calling me for months and if you don't stop I'm reporting you to the Gardai" she hung up.

I'll either jailbreak the phone and add her to a blacklist. Either way I am switching to Vodafone when my contract expires.

Thanks for the help.

What does she say when she calls you? Could it be a genuine mistake?

• Advertisement

Nothing, just stays on the other end of the line, while I am saying "Hello.." x10.

She sounded like she may be a few sandwiches short of a picnic that time I was talking to her earlier.

TBH it sounds like a genuine mistake, I don't know how your number is dialed but it doesn't sound (to me) like she's doing it deliberately...

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Ask her to check (if possible) her call log on the phone, maybe someone other than herself is messing with her phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Sean^DCT4 wrote: »
    Can't do that on an iPhone and most phones as far as I am aware.

You can block numbers on Samsungs.

garhjw wrote: »
    unfortunately the gards probably can't help you. unles the caller is threatening you or is a pervert, the gards can't do anything... looks like hello Voda!!
    Yeah, they are about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.
    JustinOval wrote: »
    TBH it sounds like a genuine mistake, I don't know how your number is dialed but it doesn't sound (to me) like she's doing it deliberately...
    She has to be. She's called me well over a dozen times I'd say. I have texted her and recently called her and asked her to remove my phone number/stop calling me if she does not know me/is a mistake.
    CaSCaDe711 wrote: »
    Ask her to check (if possible) her call log on the phone, maybe someone other than herself is messing with her phone.
    Possibly.
    cnocbui wrote: »
    You can block numbers on Samsungs.
    I have an iPhone :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Bumping this thread up to see if anybody know of any Samsung Apps that will let you block a particular regular nuisance caller/texter.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

Bumping this thread up to see if anybody know of any Samsung Apps that will let you block a particular regular nuisance caller/texter.

I have a Note 2. If I go onto the dialler, press the menu button, call settings will appear at the bottom of the list that shows up. The very first option on the next screen is 'Call rejection' where you can add a list of up to 100 numbers to automatically reject.
    Is it the same for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

It's an auspicious coincidence that this thread has arisen again. Does anyone know whether it's possible to block a certain number on the 3 network? If so, how can it be done?

My understanding it that it might have to be done through the network but I'm not sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

RichardAnd wrote: »
    It's an auspicious coincidence that this thread has arisen again. Does anyone know whether it's possible to block a certain number on the 3 network? If so, how can it be done?

My understanding it that it might have to be done through the network but I'm not sure...
    If your phone doesn't have the facility to do it, or you can't get an app that will do it then your network provider can, but they will only block calls from a number if they have been instructed by the Gardaí to do it.

If your phone doesn't have the facility, then a workaround would be to set a silent ringtone for that particular contact, but that doesn't really solve the problem.

To iPhone users, I'm not sure if this was available beforehand but I've just noticed since the iOS 7 update, you can now block contacts.
    Click the info ('i') icon next to a contact then scroll to the bottom of the screen to add them to the block list.

• Advertisement

RichardAnd wrote: »

:confused:

Advertisement