Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior League Website

• 18-02-2011 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of setting up a website to cater for results, league tables and so on for the Waterford Junior League.
    It stupid that you have to wait until the paper releases the results a few days later to get them.
    Does anyone else think there would be a need for one for starters?

Btw I have only basic knolwedge of computers so if someone can point me in the right direction to setting it up i would be greatful

Cheers
    Coco

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

yeah would love to get involved if ya like..
    have some experience too in that field but maybe you need to go to JL first

was thinking the same myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

Hey lads,

I set up a website for our club a few years back. I built in such a way as it could manage the entire leagues results, fixtures tables etc. I tried to get other people on board to help out adding results etc but with little response. I even tried to get the league at the time involved in some capacity, if only to send me the entire results list each week but again I got no help.

The site is still there although completely lacking info for this season at the mo. We were actually discussing resurrecting it recently.

Being a club website I know it's not ideal (from the entire leagues perspective) but at least there'd be up to date results, fixtures and even reports....

Anyway it's www.piltownafc.ie if anyone is interested to get involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

The FAI promised an all singing all dancing website for inputting results, checking league tables, fixtures and other tasks like checking player registrations and suspensions. This was meant to be rolled out this season as a beta for Waterford (and Mayo I think) with training in the Ramada scheduled for last July but it was canceled until further notice. The amount of teams that lose points each season because of a technicality with their registration (or suspensions) and consequent lack of communication is unreal.

You have to remember that the Junior League is made up of technophobes, only this season have they moved to emailing out fixtures rather then posting out monthly fixtures. Parting with a few quid to buy a domain name / hosting for such a resource will never be on the agenda for them when that money could be pumped into Ozier for the handful of teams a season that get a look at the surface. Something like the piltown website has to be community driven but it's difficult when only 2 or 3 teams within a league bother to contribute results.

witless1 wrote: »
    The FAI promised an all singing all dancing website for inputting results, checking league tables, fixtures and other tasks like checking player registrations and suspensions. This was meant to be rolled out this season as a beta for Waterford (and Mayo I think) with training in the Ramada scheduled for last July but it was canceled until further notice. The amount of teams that lose points each season because of a technicality with their registration (or suspensions) and consequent lack of communication is unreal.

From what I understand the developer of the FAI website left to work elsewhere so I'm not sure what the status of the project is now. Not going to be rolled out in the short term I'd imagine.

I know others have tried to maintain online results and tables in the past, but suffered from the same problems afaik - getting results each weekend. As you said, you really need a core group involved who'll regularly contribute results.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

rayc wrote: »
    From what I understand the developer of the FAI website left to work elsewhere so I'm not sure what the status of the project is now. Not going to be rolled out in the short term I'd imagine.

I know others have tried to maintain online results and tables in the past, but suffered from the same problems afaik - getting results each weekend. As you said, you really need a core group involved who'll regularly contribute results.

Would the Junior League not give access to the results ie) copy of the match card so this can be done.

What i would like to see happen on this website is
    • Results including goalscorers (surely the ref could mark on the card which no scored)
    • League table
    • Squad list and pics
    • Team lineups
    • Yellow / red cards
    • Refs MOM
    I can't see any sensible reason why the Junior League would be against this.

It only raises the profile of the league

• Advertisement

Who would i need to contact on the Junior League to get the go ahead does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

I think Willie O Callaghan is the chairman.Willie is an ex ref and a hell of a nice fellow.

cococoady wrote: »
    Would the Junior League not give access to the results ie) copy of the match card so this can be done.

What i would like to see happen on this website is
    • Results including goalscorers (surely the ref could mark on the card which no scored)
    • League table
    • Squad list and pics
    • Team lineups
    • Yellow / red cards
    • Refs MOM
    I can't see any sensible reason why the Junior League would be against this.
    It only raises the profile of the league

I don't think the league would be against this at all. They may not be too keen to give access to the match cards though.

As someone who's been there and done it for years though, don't underestimate how much work is involved in doing this manually. Especially with little help.

Martin Flavin or Noel O Keefe would be a better option I think. The league number should be on the web somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Could you make use of moodle, or google docs to make a spreadsheet that lots of people could update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭blobbyblob

Martin is your best man but you'll have to speak to the committee.

Unreal commitment required and unless its maintained to a tee, you're going to come in for a lot of flack yourself and bring unwanted headaches to the committee at the delegate meetings.

Defo needed but not for the faint hearted.

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

The programme is already there

http://www.leaguerepublic.com/

snuggles09 wrote: »
    The programme is already there

http://www.leaguerepublic.com/

Cheers for the link.
    Saved me alot of bother there.

I have started up the Junior League Website from that link and i'm in the process of building up the details.
    The link for the League is http://waterfordjuniorleague.leaguerepublic.com/enter.do?siteid=4511303

I also set up a facebook group where i am hoping players, managers and refs will post up results from their games. I will put the link up later on.

I have a junior league ref as a mod on the site and im also hoping to get a local journalist on board to help with fixtures and cancellations and so on.

I would appreciate if you passed this around to your friends and if on facebook join the group and then add your friends.

Its the only real way to go if the Junior League themselves have declined to help in times gone by.

savic04 wrote: »
    yeah would love to get involved if ya like..
    have some experience too in that field but maybe you need to go to JL first

was thinking the same myself

You can join the facebook group i have set up http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_103475566398032&ap=1

The league website is http://waterfordjuniorleague.leaguerepublic.com/

Cheers
    Coco

All you have to do is look at the likes of:

http://www.leisureleagues.ie/
    http://www.witomnisportleagues.ie/socer.html
    http://www.floodlitsoccer.com/

which are all fairly comprehensive in their own right. The league republic one looks good but to get the feature list required I presume you have to pay for it? A custom built one gives you a lot of flexibility but it's a time sink!
    The leisureleagues one had provisions for a man of the match which made for a good bit of banter among the players. If the junior league took inspiration from that you could see a MOTM from each game and an idea of a team / player of the season. I don't think the 1st, 2nd and 3rd division gets enough press as it is. Unless you are premier in this town or are challenging for a cup you aren't going to see match reports / photos or even recognition for decent players and performances. I'm playing 1B and the past 3 seasons we haven't had a single match covered. I think the local press coverage 4-5 years ago was a lot better and certainly were a lot more visible at matches.

From a club secretary point of view here, the one feature which an official site would need to support, and one which was promised by the FAI website, was to show what players are registered and eligible to play. The current system is not transparent and problems with registrations are rarely notified to the club secretary in time. This leads to a lot of fines and points being docked every single single season. Similarly with suspensions, a one match ban could last 10 weeks with the winter weather forcing call offs and the onus is on the club to keep track and see when the players ban has been served.
    From your feature list is also another idea which the league / referees could implement between them which would also solve a lot of hassle for clubs. Match cards should have the printed names of players on them, it would take 20 mins to print out the weekends fixtures at most. Our club was fined and we would have forfeited the points (had we won!!) recently due to a players name being spelt wrong on the match card i.e. in the eyes of the league we played an illegal player and got a 32 euro fine and a points forfeit.

A simple check of a website would solve so many little problems, best of luck with it and I will contribute what I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Badly needed this and best of luck with it.
    Just a suggestion on making some money to keep it going but maybe getting ads up from local shops (Alfies, Ken Mcgraths) and getting a discount in the shop by using a code on your site.

All you have to do is look at the likes of:

http://www.leisureleagues.ie/
    http://www.witomnisportleagues.ie/socer.html
    http://www.floodlitsoccer.com/

which are all fairly comprehensive in their own right. The league republic one looks good but to get the feature list required I presume you have to pay for it? A custom built one gives you a lot of flexibility but it's a time sink!
    The leisureleagues one had provisions for a man of the match which made for a good bit of banter among the players. If the junior league took inspiration from that you could see a MOTM from each game and an idea of a team / player of the season. I don't think the 1st, 2nd and 3rd division gets enough press as it is. Unless you are premier in this town or are challenging for a cup you aren't going to see match reports / photos or even recognition for decent players and performances. I'm playing 1B and the past 3 seasons we haven't had a single match covered. I think the local press coverage 4-5 years ago was a lot better and certainly were a lot more visible at matches.

From a club secretary point of view here, the one feature which an official site would need to support, and one which was promised by the FAI website, was to show what players are registered and eligible to play. The current system is not transparent and problems with registrations are rarely notified to the club secretary in time. This leads to a lot of fines and points being docked every single single season. Similarly with suspensions, a one match ban could last 10 weeks with the winter weather forcing call offs and the onus is on the club to keep track and see when the players ban has been served.
    From your feature list is also another idea which the league / referees could implement between them which would also solve a lot of hassle for clubs. Match cards should have the printed names of players on them, it would take 20 mins to print out the weekends fixtures at most. Our club was fined and we would have forfeited the points (had we won!!) recently due to a players name being spelt wrong on the match card i.e. in the eyes of the league we played an illegal player and got a 32 euro fine and a points forfeit.

A simple check of a website would solve so many little problems, best of luck with it and I will contribute what I can.

There is a way of doing all this on the leaguerepublic website. Haven't figured it out fully yet tho :D.
    If i got my hands on all the registrations for each team and then the match cards i could something like i done here http://waterfordjuniorleague.leaguerepublic.com/DisplayFixture.do?id=12640589
    With the match card i would be able to find out who played, who came on/off, who scored, who was booked/sent off and so on.
    For each team then you would have the following details http://waterfordjuniorleague.leaguerepublic.com/DisplayTeam2.do?id=3152078&divisionseason=6493816&seasonTeamID=5416777
    I got the details for this off last weeks news and star.
    With the match cards i could do it for all teams.

That looks good all right but you are back to requiring access to the match cards / registrations. It all boils down to the willingness of the league to release that info. I'm sure it will be raised at the next meeting but with fixtures being sent through email the number of meetings a year is low. I think since the season started there has been 1 meeting. It would be interesting to hear what they say though if you sent them an email and linked the site you have put together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

Can always find update info from news n star tue mornins for league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Great work lads, well overdue having this online,

Seeing most of the leagues are nearly settled,might be an idea concentrating on the upcoming. CUp competitions....
    Also the n&s get the league news on mondays so if yee could find the source they may let it out 2u too, unless there's a deal done already with them.....

good work so far, hope this takes off.. Hate waiting for other results until week after

on another note anyone know who the Wexford ref in the league is..and why is he here?
    he absolutely robbed us on Saturday even the MV players were apoligising about the last min winner.. like a Liverpool goal earlier this season only worse! :)
    Digusting perfomance from the ref put you off playing Junior football at all, dont mind a ref getting a decison wrong but this was pure robbery.. was digusting to see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

Wexford ref is S.Dunphy and he is a LOI ref
    Moved to Waterford league because I think he works in Waterford

Regarding getting all the updates, Adrian Flanagan of the N+S kindly provided all the results from the weekend and all of next weekends fixtures

So anyone playing junior league can now find out the fixtures a few days earlier than normal by checking out the website

Can always find update info from news n star tue mornins for league.

As Comeragh Blue above stated, Adrian Flanagan has agreed to put the results and fixtures on our Facebook page for all to see. We then update the website.

That looks good all right but you are back to requiring access to the match cards / registrations. It all boils down to the willingness of the league to release that info. I'm sure it will be raised at the next meeting but with fixtures being sent through email the number of meetings a year is low. I think since the season started there has been 1 meeting. It would be interesting to hear what they say though if you sent them an email and linked the site you have put together.

My plan is to run the website without the leagues help for the remainder of this season.
    Then over the summer i will approach them and show them how the website worked for mthe season just gone and show them the details that can be added to it if i got the teams registrations and match cards ie) teams, subs on and off, goalscorers, yellow and red cards etc.
    Hopefully they will agree to it then

Wexford ref is S.Dunphy and he is a LOI ref
    Moved to Waterford league because I think he works in Waterford

Strange, he said he drove from Wexford..
    Worst referring decison I ever seen in my 20 years of playing football..
    Disgraceful he was..

If there is anyone here who is intersted in being a team administrator for their own team can you please send me a pm.
    The duties involved would be filling in the squad list (one time only needed), filling out a team sheet for each game (just a matter of putting a shirt no beside the players name), marking who has been substituted and who came on, and goalscorers.
    Bookings / red cards can also be added if needed.
    You can also input your own fixtures and results if you want.
    Any bit of help is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

savic04 wrote: »
    good work so far, hope this takes off.. Hate waiting for other results until week after

on another note anyone know who the Wexford ref in the league is..and why is he here?
    he absolutely robbed us on Saturday even the MV players were apoligising about the last min winner.. like a Liverpool goal earlier this season only worse! :)
    Digusting perfomance from the ref put you off playing Junior football at all, dont mind a ref getting a decison wrong but this was pure robbery.. was digusting to see
    So how many ha ye sent off heard yee were no angels either...):)

Just to let you all know that things are going good with the website and facebook page.
    The website has almost 1,500 hits since we started it late friday night.
    And there is over 200 members on the facebook group.

Hoffmans wrote: »
    So how many ha ye sent off heard yee were no angels either...):)

he sent off 4, 3 for arguing the decison and 1 for 2 yellows earlier in the game... he was lucky he wasnt lynched!!

One thing being clearly robbed by a dodgy ref and the other not being angels, we are far from angels, but I think when something was clearly wrong it upsets players, LOI Ref :D says it all.. There is about 3 decent ref's in the whole league, in fairness ref's making offside calls, on his own is impossible, he cant look to see where the player is and look to see when ball was kicked...at least the premier has lino's..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

The Waterford premier is one of very few county premier leagues that have linesman. Regarding ref's having to make offside calls on there own... What else do you suggest? The manager, subs...... Not being trollish just a genuine question.

• Advertisement

It would be nice to be able to trust the lads doing the line but that creates more problems.

Often players are frustrated because they know they weren't off etc and end ip being booked for protesting, leading to suspension .
    Usually you get some and don't get others though, what you can't legislate for is clear unfair ref like we had last week. 2 players sent off was thier first cards of the season and never argue, and felt clearly robbed. It's in the league, refs aswell as clubs interest to have a good system in place.
    90% of refs do it for the money obviously...
    We said joking to that guy last week " u took a chance driving from Wexford without seeing the pitch coz of the rain" his response was "well ye better be paying me anyway, don't care how bad pitch is, match will be on".

Advertisement