Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryan Giggs

• 18-02-2011 5:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

possibly the finest premiership ever , he signed a new deal today , which is remarkable - just wondering from utd. fans - could he play a 1,000 games for the reds ?

i know its doubtfull, but could you imagine :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

tbh i think Giggs(and scholes) is worth a super thread of his own.

Immense player, professional and the shape he has kept himself in is remarkable.
    Fair play to him, it's a cliche but every young player should be looking at the likes of him and scholes and not the diamond earing wearing clowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

What can be said about Giggs that hasn't already.
    Will be a sad day when he goes,was a pleasure to watch him play all these years.
    Found this the other day...........
    images1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

legend.........thats is all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i dont think he will play the 1000 games, time is not on his size. he could hit 950 if he plays another 2 seasons, but with nani, valencia, park, possibly cleverly and maybe ashley young and giggs approaching 38, his chances of playing over 130 games over the next 2 years are slim.

incredible player, one in a generation and the example that should be the yard stick for any aspiring professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

If Jack Wilshere can get a thread where he's appreciated, Giggs sure as shìt deserves one where he gets some praise.

Phenomenal player, doubt he'll reach a thousand games though.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    If Jack Wilshere can get a thread where he's appreciated, Giggs sure as shìt deserves one where he gets some praise.

Phenomenal player, doubt he'll reach a thousand games though.

1 amazing game and hes the new zidane:pac:i do remember darren o'dea dicking all over milans forward line and they said he was the new maldini :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

The think I don't like about giggs is his ****en mouth, always in the face of the ref after any dodgy desicion, I hate that ****, never liked the bloke tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

niallo27 wrote: »
    The think I don't like about giggs is his ****en mouth, always in the face of the ref after any dodgy desicion, I hate that ****, never liked the bloke tbh

Thanks for that. Great addition. After a career like his and thats all you can say. For shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

He is actually underated, when you see him in the flesh, there really is nothing like him, he must arguably be the greatest in English football ever at this stage for consistency alone. His contribution to every title winning season is incredible especially the ones from the last decade when United broke the Chelsea dominance. I think sometimes because of the other players around him he hasnt got the credit because other players tend to shine as well and there fore they all share the headlines.

Le King wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Great addition. After a career like his and thats all you can say. For shame.

Oh great player and great servant etc etc, but you can't deny that side of his game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Thats what you don't like about him?

Nothing about the unprecedented level of success he's had over your club, nothing about how by himself he has more than half the number of league titles your club has in it's history, nothing about that by picking a random season in his career, the odds are that it will have contained more trophies than any player to play for your club in the last 20 years....

No, it's the mouthing off you hate????

Crikey niallo, you're a strange egg!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

1 amazing game and hes the new zidane:pac:i do remember darren o'dea dicking all over milans forward line and they said he was the new maldini :eek:

Who's "they"?

Because I'd like to avoid talking to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Oh great player and great servant etc etc, but you can't deny that side of his game

Yes, yes you can deny it. I've seen some idiotic posts in this forum and that comes close to taking the biscuit.

You're probably one of those who thinks the biggest thing Zidane ever did was the headbutt.

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Thats what you don't like about him?

Nothing about the unprecedented level of success he's had over your club, nothing about how by himself he has more than half the number of league titles your club has in it's history, nothing about that by picking a random season in his career, the odds are that it will have contained more trophies than any player to play for your club in the last 20 years....

No, it's the mouthing off you hate????

Crikey niallo, you're a strange egg!

Yes I do hate it about him, I said he was a great player and a great servant, should this thread be called let's all have a **** about ryan giggs so or are we allowed to discuss his good and bad points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Yes I do hate it about him, I said he was a great player and a great servant, should this thread be called let's all have a **** about ryan giggs so or are we allowed to discuss his good and bad points

You should know appreciation threads work by now, especially about Manchester United players. If you don't have a kind word to say, you better be here only to bring tissues.

Yes, yes you can deny it. I've seen some idiotic posts in this forum and that comes close to taking the biscuit.

You're probably one of those who thinks the biggest thing Zidane ever did was the headbutt.

Why so touchy about him, every player has some negatives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Can't stand the guy. Spends most of his time in the refs face talking nonsense. I hate Robbie savage less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mister men wrote: »
    Can't stand the guy. Spends most of his time in the refs face talking nonsense. I hate Robbie savage less

Aw, Niallo got in there before you to steal your thunder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Sigh.... not a word from the usual suspects in the Jack Wilshire thing but within 30mins they have arrived.

RasTa wrote: »
    Sigh.... not a word from the usual suspects in the Jack Wilshire thing but within 30mins they have arrived.

Well if your talking about me, i did say wilshire was overhyped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ryan is one of the finest professional players to play the game and will go down as a true legend of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I like his chest. It's dead manly, like.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Who's "they"?

Because I'd like to avoid talking to them

nesta,inzaghi,maldini himself said he has a great future ahead of him

nesta,inzaghi,maldini himself said he has a great future ahead of him

Maldini wouldnt be the greatest judge of talent tbh, he hyped the shít out of McGeady before too. He plays up to the media imo.

I was in Milan that night, the whole team played very well defensively (until Sno got caught out by Kaka), dunno how he was singled out tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Giggs.Legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The first poster on my wall: Ryan Giggs

My first football shirt: Man Utd black strip with "Giggs 11" on the back

My first dog's name: Giggsey

All of these things when I was a very young kid.

I'm now 26 years old and it's incredible to think that not only is Giggs still around, but he's playing at the highest level and he is a key part of the team who are top of the league and look like winning it with ease.

Amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

MrStuffins wrote: »
    The first poster on my wall: Ryan Giggs

My first football shirt: Man Utd black strip with "Giggs 11" on the back

My first dog's name: Giggsey

All of these things when I was a very young kid.

I'm now 26 years old and it's incredible to think that not only is Giggs still around, but he's playing at the highest level and he is a key part of the team who are top of the league and look like winning it with ease.

Amazing!

Is the dog still alive?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I hope that after he retires at some point he becomes the main figurehead/ambassador of the club ala Bobby Charlton (without the dodgy managerial career!).

Ron Manager sums up Giggsy below.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

ician wrote: »
    Is the dog still alive?

Unfortunately he now plays for Doggy Heaven Rovers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I ran out of superlatives for the man years ago. His longevity is a testament to his complete and utter dedication to the game and his remarkabke ability to re-invent himself constantly. A tremendous all round footballer who must surely be the most decorated in the history of English football. I can barely remember United without him, when he retirs it'll be......wierd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Bitterness aside, Ryan Giggs absolute legend of the game I hope he does get 1,000 appearances for United because that would be a record befitting a player of his ilk.

He never was the best player ability wise in the world or even the league but he had the best attitude, the best work ethic and the best hunger which still shines bright as he wins yet more trophies.

I still think he should never have got the 2008/2009 PFA player of the year award but that wasn't his fault in fairness. Pity he never achieved internationally but again hardly his fault.

It's great to see players like Giggs who work the hardest achieve the most. Comparing himself and David Ginola, same position, same era, Ginola had probably slightly more ability but their respective careers and who would you want on your team of the 90's? Ryan Giggs without a shadow of a doubt.

Sierra Leone's finest you might say.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

Giggs what a legend, been my hero since I got into football that was about 91/92. It will be a sad day when he retires and won't be the same without him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Bitterness aside, Ryan Giggs absolute legend of the game I hope he does get 1,000 appearances for United because that would be a record befitting a player of his ilk.

He never was the best player ability wise in the world or even the league but he had the best attitude, the best work ethic and the best hunger which still shines bright as he wins yet more trophies.

I still think he should never have got the 2008/2009 PFA player of the year award but that wasn't his fault in fairness. Pity he never achieved internationally but again hardly his fault.

It's great to see players like Giggs who work the hardest achieve the most. Comparing himself and David Ginola, same position, same era, Ginola had probably slightly more ability but their respective careers and who would you want on your team of the 90's? Ryan Giggs without a shadow of a doubt.

Sierra Leone's finest you might say.

I think you're underestimating his talent. Ability-wise, he was among the most gifted in the league IMO.
    The things he has done can't be achieved just by hard work - otherwise, the likes of Gary Neville would be on a par with Giggs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

#15 wrote: »
    I think you're underestimating his talent. Ability-wise, he was among the most gifted in the league IMO.
    The things he has done can't be achieved just by hard work - otherwise, the likes of Gary Neville would be on a par with Giggs.

Perhaps I am but perhaps you are underestimating my underestimation of his abilities! ;)

I would say that his abilities were always near the top tier and with his dedication he made himself into a brilliant player.

Gary Neville's abilities would have been in the bottom tier and with hard work from him he made himself into a decent player who luckily enough never had a challenger for his position and I do believe that however disingenuous that may sound.

Giggs was always a good player and his career could easily have matched that of Ginola. But with dedication he became a great player. That's the slant I was trying to get at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

One of the best players in world football,has reinvented himself in the last few seasons and flourished in a new role.Legend!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Doesn't matter what club you support you have to recognise Ryan Giggs as being a true legend of the game. He still can terrorise most defence's by going on those blistering run's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭xw2lj9uspm1eyh

A true legend of the game,gonna be gutted when he eventually does retire as for as long as I've been a Utd supporter he's been there.He played against City last week and at 37 didn't look out of place especially in the second half.Seen no videos of Giggs so far in this thread for shame,so here's one I seen posted in the Utd thread ages I liked,showing his career starting with him playing for Deans FC all the way up to scoring an penalty in the 08 CL final.

He had unfeasibly long legs when he was a kid. They appear to have gotten shorter with age. Epic video though.

Shivers down the spine for this one. Amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

The hairiest man in football

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Paparazzo wrote: »
    The hairiest man in football

Nah - Sergio Batista was shaving in his ma's womb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

didn't realise there was an appreciation outbreak here - just when i saw he signed a new contract - and at 870 matches , thought what an achievement a 1,000 games for a consistently championship team would be -

one memory , regarding appreciation though - that goal against arsenal in the fa cup semi a few years ago ...

also for any kids starting out , i remember him and sharpe on the utd flanks at the start of his career, sharpe wasted a career becoming a celebrity, the more talented giggs, meanwhile , just did his talking on the pitch , and is still an influential player today, while lee sharpe awaits a call up for new version of big brother

• niallo27 wrote: »

It's a bit ironic that you don't like his mouth when your own could do with a bit of a cleaning don't you think?

Anyway, Giggsy, great player, has done it all, doubtless we will ever see the likes of him again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

You just have to look at his stats to realise what a great consistent player he is. Never mind all his trophies (must has to do with being at the right club at the right time) but any player who can put in 25-30 league games per season every season a the highest level for more than a decade is something special. Zidane did it for 14 seasons. Giggs has done it for nearly 20 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

bonerm wrote: »
    You just have to look at his stats to realise what a great consistent player he is. Never mind all his trophies (must has to do with being at the right club at the right time) but any player who can put in 25-30 league games per season every season a the highest level for more than a decade is something special. Zidane did it for 14 seasons. Giggs has done it for nearly 20 now.

Agree with everything but being at the club at the right time, Giggs has contributed a lot to the success of United in the past 20 years so imo its more like the right player at the right time for Manchester United

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Hard to judge his early career.
    Dominated with his team when the english top flight was at it's lowest ebb as the ban on english clubs in europe began to bite.
    Bottled the move to Inter when Italian football was the place to be.
    Poor in both of Man Utd's european cup final successes.
    Disgraceful behaviour with regards to his national team.
    Scored a couple of goals one season -> player of the year.
    Never really tested at the highest level.

Dominated with his team when the english top flight was at it's lowest ebb as the ban on english clubs in europe began to bite.

Yet he has more medals than most will dream about, tis a funny old game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

lol

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Must try harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

LOL.you couldn't be more wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement