Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryan Giggs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Hard to judge his early career.
    Dominated with his team when the english top flight was at it's lowest ebb as the ban on english clubs in europe began to bite.
    Bottled the move to Inter when Italian football was the place to be.
    Poor in both of Man Utd's european cup final successes.
    Disgraceful behaviour with regards to his national team.
    Scored a couple of goals one season -> player of the year.
    Never really tested at the highest level.

tumblr_le8cgc16wC1qc8iaj.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

thebaz wrote: »
    didn't realise there was an appreciation outbreak here - just when i saw he signed a new contract - and at 870 matches , thought what an achievement a 1,000 games for a consistently championship team would be -

one memory , regarding appreciation though - that goal against arsenal in the fa cup semi a few years ago ...

also for any kids starting out , i remember him and sharpe on the utd flanks at the start of his career, sharpe wasted a career becoming a celebrity, the more talented giggs, meanwhile , just did his talking on the pitch , and is still an influential player today, while lee sharpe awaits a call up for new version of big brother

a few? its 11 years ago now :O unbeliebavle like how fast time goes...i was like just 6 omg.

btw who said giggs didnt have best talent in league he easily was up there in terms of pure talent, his goal against arsenal wasnt the stuff of just a good and hardowrking footbalelr it was the dream goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

Dominated with his team when the english top flight was at it's lowest ebb as the ban on english clubs in europe began to bite.

:rolleyes: thats like saying totti cant be regarded as a great player coz he stayed with one club his whole career. giggs has been a mainstay in one of the greatest teams in the world his whole career, what do you mean never tested at higher level? what higher level is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

yes a bottler, who never joined a top team - how many meddles in the cupboard, Ryan ??? by your comments youd expect it to be empty .
    Ok, lets just include, top honour, champions league and titles !!
    Whats disgraceful about his international duty, that he didnt play for England , perhaps ???

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

thebaz wrote: »
    yes a bottler, who never joined a top team - how many meddles in the cupboard, Ryan ??? by your comments youd expect it to be empty .
    Ok, lets just include, top honour, champions league and titles !!
    Whats disgraceful about his international duty, that he didnt play for England , perhaps ???

He probably means that one red card he got in his whole career while playing for Wales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

One of the finest British players ever, and one who was amongst the world's best in his position for a number of years.

As a Liverpool supporter, it can be very easy to find faults with United players, regardless of whether that fault actually exists or not. But with Giggs it was always hard to do that with.

At his peak he was always the United player I wished Liverpool had gotten. He just had so much to his game, and then managed to go up even further in my estimation when he got older, as he proved that he was clever enough to overhaul his playing style almost completely in order to continue playing. Something that many great players have been unable to do.

Is he a Manchester United legend? I think he is, but will leave that for United supporters to say.

Is he one of the finest players that I have watched over the last two decades? Without a shadow of doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

partyndbs wrote: »
    :rolleyes: thats like saying totti cant be regarded as a great player coz he stayed with one club his whole career. giggs has been a mainstay in one of the greatest teams in the world his whole career, what do you mean never tested at higher level? what higher level is there?
    Totti can't be regarded as a great player because he isn't one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Giggs hard not to admire his ability overshadowed in his younger days by more vocal players - overshadowed probably the wrong word he just seemed to do his best to stay out of the limelight and do all his speaking on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I named my son & heir after him:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I remember the day he made his debut and my brother raving about how he was going to be a great player and how right he was.

I wonder if the fact that he always got a proper summer break helped him get these extra few years. One of the most loyal players to have graced the game, what a career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

jester77 wrote: »
    I remember the day he made his debut and my brother raving about how he was going to be a great player and how right he was.

I wonder if the fact that he always got a proper summer break helped him get these extra few years. One of the most loyal players to have graced the game, what a career.

How loyal was he to wales though, 64 games in 16 years, 4 games a year on adverage, we know where his priorities were

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

niallo27 wrote: »
    How loyal was he to wales though, 64 games in 16 years, 4 games a year on adverage, we know where his priorities were

So what?

He realised Wales were crap and decided against playing for them much. Therefore prolonging his career. Fantastic decision by him.

SantryRed wrote: »
    So what?

He realised Wales were crap and decided against playing for them much. Therefore prolonging his career. Fantastic decision by him.

So your he only stayed at utd because they were winning things and he would have ****ed off if things went bad, where is the loyalty there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

we know where his priorities were

Yes, to his employers, the people who pay his wages?

Hardly grounds for criticism is it?

#15 wrote: »
    Yes, to his employers, the people who pay his wages?

Hardly grounds for criticism is it?

Yes but it's his country he should be proud to play for them, just some posters are saying how loyal he is, I don't expect you to knock him, it's just a minor crititism, just some people thing he is beyond it

• Advertisement

Unreal professional and a top player.

To play for that long at the top is amazing tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Yes but it's his country he should be proud to play for them, just some posters are saying how loyal he is, I don't expect you to knock him, it's just a minor crititism, just some people thing he is beyond it

I don't see why someone should be proud of their country.

I can see why people are patriotic, but I cannot fathom why you or anyone would demand or expect the same patriotism of others, or use it as grounds for criticism.

It's not an open and shut case. I'm not saying that just because it's Giggs btw.

I just find the whole idea of patriotism a bit strange.

On the wider topic, I suppose it's easy for players like Giggs, Maldini, etc. to stay with one club throughout their career. Who knows how any of those players would have reacted if their clubs were relegated or not challenging? I think the whole loyalty debate is a bit of a sideshow most of the time.

I wouldn't blame him for not playing meaningless internationals tbh.

Clubs pay the wages of players at the end of the day.

I hate international breaks with a passion. And I love when (pool) players are pulled out of those bs games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

He missed alot of games for Wales due to the hamstring injuries he had. If he tuend up for Wales he most likely would have been out longer and would have become the Welsh Darren Anderton. He has only got his fitness under control since he started doing yoga in the last few years plus being rotated by United. Bellamy is missing a lot of games for this same reason. Wales usually have no chance of qualifying after about 4 games so you cant blame him for not playing against the likes of Iceland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

How many games did he miss then Niallo?

Competetive games please.

I can't imagine it's all that much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Can you just go away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I'd imagine that the number of competitive matches he missed when not injured or unavailable for other reasons would be close to the 0 mark!

But while we're on the subject of ignoring completely everything great the guy has done and picking ridiculous reasons to dislike him, I hear his farts smell really bad and he's more of a cat person than a dog person!

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    How many games did he miss then Niallo?

Competetive games please.

I can't imagine it's all that much.

I don't know but he played 64 times in nearly 17 years, you have to admit that's a poor return

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I don't know but he played 64 times in nearly 17 years, you have to admit that's a poor return

If I remember right he mainly missed friendlies. Don't see it as a big deal myself.

For a team like England who are going to major tournaments every two years, probably.

For a team like Wales, I'm not sure.

I'd much rather see a % of how many competetive games he missed when he wasn't injured.

For a team like England who are going to major tournaments every two years, probably.

For a team like Wales, I'm not sure.

I'd much rather see a % of how many competetive games he missed when he wasn't injured.

I don't have that info, I'll leave it at that I think for this thread, I don't like upsetting you utd fans

I don't have that info, I'll leave it at that I think for this thread, I don't like upsetting you utd fans

Grand so, point proven I guess :confused:

Of course you don't have that info Niallo.

You never have the info, you just make silly little statements backed up with bullshít, and when called on it flee the scene.

Of course you don't have that info Niallo.

You never have the info, you just make silly little statements backed up with bullshít, and when called on it flee the scene.

**** that, that's horse****, 17 years 64 games, he started this whole pulling out of international duty due to being injured, he couldn't give a **** about wales and he probaly would have walked from utd if things went bad, so don't give me this loyalty ****

Yeah, he missed non competitive friendlies, who gives a rats about them? Are you going to tell us how many pre season games he missed? Or perhaps he played 10 minutes in a testamonial once, what a bastard!

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Yeah, he missed non competitive friendlies, who gives a rats about them? Are you going to tell us how many pre season games he missed? Or perhaps he played 10 minutes in a testamonial once, what a bastard!

It took him 13 years to play his first away friendly for wales, If he was playing for England do you think he would be missing these friendlies

**** that, that's horse****, 17 years 64 games, he started this whole pulling out of international duty due to being injured, he couldn't give a **** about wales and he probaly would have walked from utd if things went bad, so don't give me this loyalty ****

On your 2nd point " he probaly would have walked from utd if things went bad, so don't give me this loyalty ****" how he is being disloyal to Utd if in your opinion he would have walked away from Utd if things went badly. retarded attempt at making a point there niallo.

He probably would have walked away from United?

I'm sure Scholes would have too :rolleyes:

You're talking shít again Niallo.

Pure and utter shíte.

It took him 13 years to play his first away friendly for wales, If he was playing for England do you think he would be missing these friendlies

In that case he would be taking his disloyalty to Wales to another level....

Maybe he would. WHo knows?

Everything you say is based on conjecture!

Tell us, how many competitive games did he miss?

He missed friendlies, would there be a problem if he missed pre-season friendlies with Man Utd? Where would the difference be?

He probably would have walked away from United?

I'm sure Scholes would have too :rolleyes:

You're talking shít again Niallo.

Pure and utter shíte.

No i dont think scholes would have

No i dont think scholes would have

Nobody gives a f*ck what you think about a hypothetical English Ryan Giggs and a Hypothetical game missing Paul Scholes! You have no arguement here!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Nobody gives a f*ck what you think about a hypothetical English Ryan Giggs and a Hypothetical game missing Paul Scholes! You have no arguement here!

Why do you lot take any slight bit of criticism about any utd player so badly, your like the ****en mafia

Why do you lot take any slight bit of criticism about any utd player so badly, your like the ****en mafia

Try Gibson, you'll have a field day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I'd doubt it's the fact that you're criticising Giggs, just the fact that it's a fúcking retarded criticism.

It's not the fact he's a United Player, it's the fact you're talking shíte.

It's the same thing as saying Maldini and Nesta weren't loyal.

People here would call you a retard for saying that, but we're not AC Milan fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I'm not going to rise to the lolworthy retarded criticism of him. I'm sure any football people, no matter what club you support, must respect the man for what he has achieved and his longevity/loyalty to the club.

To play that number of games for one of the biggest clubs in the world, you must be a truly great player. I remember all the jerseys I had when I was a kid, "Giggs 11" printed on every one, that goal against QPR at Loftus Road when United won 2-3.....the dance he used to go with Paul Ince. Great memories. I'll be gutted when he retires.

Thankfully we have the pleasure of watching him play for one more season at least. Model professional and a great player.

"He's won it 11 times, he's won it 11 tiiiiiiiiimes, that boy Giggsy, he's won it 11 times."

It's not the fact he's a United Player, it's the fact you're talking shíte.

It's the same thing as saying Maldini and Nesta weren't loyal.

People here would call you a retard for saying that, but we're not AC Milan fans.

Maldini played over a 100 games for Italy, what the **** are you on about there, the fact is he went 9 years without playing a friendly, 9 ****en years and this is when he was a young fella, you would think I said he was touching up kids or something with the reactions on here

Maldini played over a 100 games for Italy, what the **** are you on about there, the fact is he went 9 years without playing a friendly, 9 ****en years and this is when he was a young fella, you would think I said he was touching up kids or something with the reactions on here
    Maldini played for italy, so when you take into account the competitions he has played in that Giggs hasn't.

That should balance it out a fair bit.

Maldini played for italy, so when you take into account the competitions he has played in that Giggs hasn't.

That should balance it out a fair bit.

He played double the games giggs did in 3 years less than him, it doesn't balance out, listen its just a minor criticism of the bloke, he was a fantastic player, dont take it so much to heart

• Advertisement

He played double the games giggs did in 3 years less than him, it doesn't balance out, listen its just a minor criticism of the bloke, he was a fantastic player, dont take it so much to heart
    Got a PM there Niallo which you might find interesting.
    I'd post this myself to the Giggs thread by my account doesn't seem to have permission to do that.

There have been 84 competitive Welsh games from 1990 to 2007:

17.10.1990 Cardiff Belgium 3- 1
    14.11.1990 Luxembourg Luxembourg 1- 0
    27.03.1991 Brussels Belgium 1- 1
    05.06.1991 Cardiff West Germany 1- 0
    16.10.1991 Nuremberg West Germany 1- 4
    13.11.1991 Cardiff Luxembourg 1- 0
    20.05.1992 Bucharest Romania 1- 5
    09.09.1992 Cardiff Faroe Islands 6- 0
    14.10.1992 Limassol Cyprus 1- 0
    18.11.1992 Brussels Belgium 0- 2
    31.03.1993 Cardiff Belgium 2- 0
    28.04.1993 Ostrava RCS 1- 1
    06.06.1993 Toftir Faroe Islands 3- 0
    08.09.1993 Cardiff RCS 2- 2
    13.10.1993 Cardiff Cyprus 2- 0
    17.11.1993 Cardiff Romania 1- 2
    07.09.1994 Cardiff Albania 2- 0
    12.10.1994 Kishinev Moldova 2- 3
    16.11.1994 Tbilisi Georgia 0- 5
    14.12.1994 Cardiff Bulgaria 0- 3
    29.03.1995 Sofia Bulgaria 1- 3
    26.04.1995 Dusseldorf Germany 1- 1
    07.06.1995 Cardiff Georgia 0- 1
    06.09.1995 Cardiff Moldova 1- 0
    11.10.1995 Cardiff Germany 1- 2
    15.11.1995 Tirana Albania 1- 1
    02.06.1996 San Marino San Marino 5- 0
    31.08.1996 Cardiff San Marino 6- 0
    05.10.1996 Cardiff Netherlands 1- 3
    09.11.1996 Eindhoven Netherlands 1- 7
    14.12.1996 Cardiff Turkey 0- 0
    29.03.1997 Cardiff Belgium 1- 2
    20.08.1997 Istanbul Turkey 4- 6
    11.10.1997 Brussels Belgium 2- 3
    05.09.1998 Liverpool Italy 0- 2
    10.10.1998 Copenhagen Denmark 2- 1
    14.10.1998 Cardiff Belarus 3- 2
    31.03.1999 Zürich Switzerland 0- 2
    05.06.1999 Bologna Italy 0- 4
    09.06.1999 Liverpool Denmark 0- 2
    04.09.1999 Minsk Belarus 2- 1
    09.10.1999 Wrexham Switzerland 0- 2
    02.09.2000 Minsk Belarus 1- 2
    07.10.2000 Cardiff Norway 1- 1
    11.10.2000 Warsaw Poland 0- 0
    24.03.2001 Yerevan Armenia 2- 2
    28.03.2001 Cardiff Ukraine 1- 1
    02.06.2001 Cardiff Poland 1- 2
    06.06.2001 Kiev Ukraine 1- 1
    01.09.2001 Cardiff Armenia 0- 0
    05.09.2001 Oslo Norway 2- 3
    06.10.2001 Cardiff Belarus 1- 0
    07.09.2002 Helsinki Finland 2- 0
    16.10.2002 Cardiff Italy 2- 1
    20.11.2002 Baku Azerbaijan 2- 0
    29.03.2003 Cardiff Azerbaijan 4- 0
    20.08.2003 Beograd Serbia Monten. 0- 1
    06.09.2003 Milano Italy 0- 4
    10.09.2003 Cardiff Finland 1- 1
    11.10.2003 Cardiff Serbia Monten. 2- 3
    15.11.2003 Moskva Russia 0- 0
    19.11.2003 Cardiff Russia 0- 1
    04.09.2004 Baku Azerbaijan 1- 1
    08.09.2004 Cardiff Northern Ireland 2- 2
    09.10.2004 Manchester England 0- 2
    13.10.2004 Cardiff Poland 2- 3
    26.03.2005 Cardiff Austria 0- 2
    30.03.2005 Wien Austria 0- 1
    03.09.2005 Cardiff England 0- 1
    07.09.2005 Warszawa Poland 1- 0
    08.10.2005 Belfast Northern Ireland 3- 2
    12.10.2005 Cardiff Azerbaijan 2- 0
    02.09.2006 Teplice Czech Republic 1- 2
    07.10.2006 Cardiff Slovakia 1- 5
    11.10.2006 Cardiff Cyprus 3- 1
    24.03.2007 Dublin Ireland 0- 1
    28.03.2007 Cardiff San Marino 3- 0
    02.06.2007 Cardiff Czech Republic 0- 0
    08.09.2007 Cardiff Germany 0- 2
    12.09.2007 Trnava Slovakia 5- 2
    13.10.2007 Nicosia Cyprus 1- 3
    17.10.2007 Serravalle San Marino 2- 1
    17.11.2007 Cardiff Ireland 2- 2
    21.11.2007 Frankfurt Germany 0- 0

Now how, Niallo, if there has only been 84 games, do you expect Giggs to have as much as Maldini and Co?

Got a PM there Niallo which you might find interesting.

Now how, Niallo, if there has only been 84 games, do you expect Giggs to have as much as Maldini and Co?

Well the info would be useful if we knew how many competitive games italy had in the same period, how many friendly did giggs play in the end, its probably around 10, so you could say he played 54 out of 84 competitive games for wales, thats a pretty poor return, so your pming each other info now, as i said your like the mafia, ill probably have a car outside my house next

Well the info would be useful if we knew how many competitive games italy had in the same period, how many friendly did giggs play in the end, its probably around 10, so you could say he played 54 out of 84 competitive games for wales, thats a pretty poor return, so your pming each other info now, as i said your like the mafia, ill probably have a car outside my house next
    Giggs has played 64 competetive games out 84, they don't count friendlies I don't think.

Are you able to read Niallo??

You'll notice in the PM, it says he sent it to me because he didn't have access, and also that he tried to post it here.

Stop talking shíte tbh, it just makes you look like a bitter fool.

Giggs has played 64 competetive games out 84, they don't count friendlies I don't think.

Are you able to read Niallo??

You'll notice in the PM, it says he sent it to me because he didn't have access, and also that he tried to post it here.

Stop talking shíte tbh, it just makes you look like a bitter fool.

Of course they count friendlies, they are counted as full caps

Giggs made his Wales debut against Germany in Nuremburg in 1991, but didn’t play in a friendly international until a 2-1 defeat to Finland in Cardiff in March 2000, missing 18 matches in the process.

Does that not seem a bit odd to you

Of course they count friendlies, they are counted as full caps

Giggs made his Wales debut against Germany in Nuremburg in 1991, but didn’t play in a friendly international until a 2-1 defeat to Finland in Cardiff in March 2000, missing 18 matches in the process.

Does that not seem a bit odd to you

Now you mention it he has missed heaps of friendlies for Utd over the years as well. Its odd alright.

• Advertisement
Advertisement