Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryan Giggs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Pro. F wrote: »
    You are wrong.

He was a stand out attacking player for United on countless occasions during his prime. He was a winger who scored goals, provided assists, frightened the bejesus out of defenders and did good work tracking back. Trying to deny those qualities by saying that he didn't ''lead from the front'' is nonsense.

Very true. You only have to listen to the right backs that came up against him, the likes of Lee Dixon, Rob Jones and others, who've said that at his best he was a nightmare to play against. And surely those guys know better than any of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

one of the most beautiful quotes i've ever heard from a footballer is from Alessandro del Piero when talking about Ryan Giggs...
    "This is embarrassing, but only two players made me cry when watching football, the first was Roberto [Baggio], the other was Ryan Giggs"

the greatest career in English football ever.

i always thought he was overrated until the twilight of his career came, but, to be fair, when George Best has gone on record as being worried that a guy might eclipse him in terms of talent, then, well, maybe i should revise my views.

a few more epic quotes about him...

Zidane:
    “Giggs is a great player. My shock after watching Giggs play for the 1st time was very much similar to the shock I had after seeing Luiz Ronaldo”

Another from Zidane:
    “If he was French, Pires or myself would have been on a bench”

Luis Figo:
    “he has the most talent than any other football player. He is delicate and dynamic. He is the player chosen by God”

Fergie:
    "Ryan can leave the best defenders with twisted blood"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I'm certainly no big Man U fan.....but Giggs (and Scholes in fairness) are due every praise and accolade they recieve. Absolute consumate professionals.
    The man is a Legend of this generation of footballers. No question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

not so great now, is he?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

You waited til now to post that?? Where have you been for the last 2 months. Nicely thought out argument you put across too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

not so great now, is he?

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

There's a well known Irish footballer who's going to face the same wrath soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Paully D wrote: »

It simply HAS to be Paul MacShane:pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Paully D wrote: »

Bernie Slaven?

Don't do this to my hero!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

lordgoat wrote: »
    Bernie Slaven?

Don't do this to my hero!!
    He's not his baring his backside in Binns department store window again is he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

papagormo wrote: »

I think the woman that jumped into bed with him would be looking for an injunction against him tbh.

I put money on it being the Duffer!

mars bar wrote: »
    I think the woman that jumped into bed with him would be looking for an injunction against him tbh.

I put money on it being the Duffer!

Keep the money in yer pocket so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Keep the money in yer pocket so.

Why?

You know something we don't?

Kobbie Reane was named on twitter earlier, it's on a good few sites now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

His name was mentioned a lot before Giggs was named as the player with the injunction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

God the haterz on this board are gonna love that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Fio Rerdinand was also mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

as an Irish international? That would be a turn up for the books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Liam O wrote: »
    as an Irish international? That would be a turn up for the books.

Hmmmm....

Must have missed that one...

• Advertisement

mars bar wrote: »
    Why?

You know something we don't?
    It seems I do, but its been posted already anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

How will this affect the new Rover's stand?...the unnamed Irish international stand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Giggs, Giggs will tear you apart.....again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

flahavaj wrote: »
    God the haterz on this board are gonna love that.
    Any excuse for a dig at our greatest ever player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

papagormo wrote: »

In all fairness, who'd ride Paul McShane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I can't see it being Robbie Keane. I was only reading an interview with his wife couple of weeks ago about how she trusts him and all. Can't see her sticking her neck out like that after the Giggs thing blew up. Unless she doesn't know a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Essien wrote: »

Trap would

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Well if it is a "Well Known" Irish international that really narrows the field down to a few names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Any excuse for a dig at our greatest ever player.

nobody mentioned paul mcgrath

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

Giggs, Keane, Scholes, Berbatov...what is it that makes these players so loyal?

I know its an old comment but berbatov loyal? Whats all that about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

lordgoat wrote: »
    Kobbie Reane was named on twitter earlier, it's on a good few sites now.
    Well if it's on Twitter it simply must be true. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

any links to said keano cheating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

This profile has been spot on with a few things that have come out:

http://twishort.com/ac3o3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Any excuse for a dig at our greatest ever player playa.

Fixed that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Apparently the link below shows Keane cheating. Filthy bugger. Was it worth it Robbie :)

Oh wait, you meant celeb and gossip type of cheating, nope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_nLsOFDp6k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

Essien wrote: »

There's plenty of people out there into weird sex sh!t like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Happy 40th Birthday Ryan - a flawed individual for sure , he certainly is human , but ...

possibly the greatest footballer in the Premiership.
    A few years ago , I posted this thread , could he make 1,000 appearances for United. With the way he played the past week , and the fact that he has reached 953 appearances , I'd say ther is a very good chance now, that he could. Given that all these appearances have been with the best team in England , incredible incredible achievement - hope for all us oldies who still line out at the weekend , whether in Junior football or over 35s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

thebaz wrote: »
    Happy 40th Birthday Ryan - a flawed individual for sure , he certainly is human , but ...

possibly the greatest footballer in the Premiership.
    A few years ago , I posted this thread , could he make 1,000 appearances for United. With the way he played the past week , and the fact that he has reached 953 appearances , I'd say ther is a very good chance now, that he could. Given that all these appearances have been with the best team in England , incredible incredible achievement - hope for all us oldies who still line out at the weekend , whether in Junior football or over 35s

Greatest footballer in the premiership? Really,

A contributing factor for him reaching such a remarkable number of games is because he was at the best team. Could lesser teams have played a player not performing for periods like him, I dont believe so. Would he have had to be sold to fund transfers for rebuilding sides elsewhere? Maybe.

Absolutely fantastic achievement though it must be said but lets not go completely overboard, i'm sure this weekend is going to be intolerable enough for non united/giggs fans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

I love the guy, he's a United legend, but i wish he'd have retired or moved elsewhere a few seasons ago. It's a vanity project for him now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I love the guy, he's a United legend, but i wish he'd have retired or moved elsewhere a few seasons ago. It's a vanity project for him now.

Well considering hes still playing better than a lot of the United team why should he retire?

Iang87 wrote: »
    Greatest footballer in the premiership? Really,

A contributing factor for him reaching such a remarkable number of games is because he was at the best team. Could lesser teams have played a player not performing for periods like him, I dont believe so. Would he have had to be sold to fund transfers for rebuilding sides elsewhere? Maybe.

Absolutely fantastic achievement though it must be said but lets not go completely overboard, i'm sure this weekend is going to be intolerable enough for non united/giggs fans

Playing at 40 and the most league titles for a player, dominated the left wing for years and has done well centrally, yeh I would say that makes him the best.

Playing at 40 and the most league titles for a player, dominated the left wing for years and has done well centrally, yeh I would say that makes him the best.

Then you would be wrong

Then you would be wrong

Liverpool fan?

given your logic then Alan Shearer and Aliadiere are on the same level and also when did playing at 40 became a yardstick for quality. You must think David James is the greatest goalkeeper ever

Liverpool fan?

Doesn't make a difference to the point if you think he is the greatest ever then it doesnt matter who I support, the fact will be you're wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Isnt this the same fella who was meant to be shagging his brothers wife?

But ya he is a legend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Ryan Giggs and his brother walked into a bar

The barman asked Ryan "What are you having Ryan?"

Pointing to his brother, Ryan replied "I'll have whatever he's having" :)

I'll get my coat!

Great player in his day - well past it now!

given your logic then Alan Shearer and Aliadiere are on the same level and also when did playing at 40 became a yardstick for quality. You must think David James is the greatest goalkeeper ever
    Doesn't make a difference to the point if you think he is the greatest ever then it doesnt matter who I support, the fact will be you're wrong

Difference between Shearer and Aliadiere is Shearer scored a **** load of goals.

It does matter who you support and im guessing its Liverpool which would make you hate United and a quality player like Giggs, you are biased by hatred, anyway what makes you so right compared to the rest of us? Who in your view is the best player ever?

Difference between Shearer and Aliadiere is Shearer scored a **** load of goals.

It does matter who you support and im guessing its Liverpool which would make you hate United and a quality player like Giggs, you are biased by hatred, anyway what makes you so right compared to the rest of us? Who in your view is the best player ever?

Not sure about best ever but in my top 3 I'd have scholes in there but how can that be possible because i'm a liverpool fan.

Honestly you and the guy who said it first are the only 2 I've ever seen make reference to Giggs being the best footballer in the premiership ever.

• Advertisement
Advertisement